[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>when you realize no one actually uses color pencils
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: 1454468888726.jpg (45 KB, 572x549) Image search: [Google]
1454468888726.jpg
45 KB, 572x549
>when you realize no one actually uses color pencils
>>
>implying a dark red colored pencil on tanned paper isn't the shit
>>
Color pencils are the shit senpai

Just not for full color rendering. Thats fucking gay.
>>
>>2467205
>implying a nice sharpie in pooper isn't absolute heaven
>>
yeah colored pencils suck. any color medium you can't mix new colors with is retarded. the thing that really bothers me is that colored pencils don't come in thicknesses theres no 8H-8B colored pencils because that would be stupid who could buy all of those. But it makes all colored pencil drawings look very uniform in a bad way.

Even ebony pencils which you are supposed to use for darkest areas are overrated because it just feels waxy unless you are literally using it for tiny spots of super black, and even then the sheen on the colored pencil is different than the sheen on regular pencils when light shines on it so it stands out and you can tell its a colored pencil.

if I was ever going to use colored pencils it would be in abstract work that is just meant to explore materials. I'd never use it for like a finished color piece like that other anon said. I'd rather use crayons desu.
>>
>>2467196
Why use them when you have watercolor, gouache or hell even markers? They are more of a support supply as to finish details in watercolor paintings than standalone fully rendering tools. If anyone knows any amazing artists that mostly use colored pencils for their professional works then post them, I'd be happy to be proven wrong, bonus points for living artists.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2467196
prismacolor colored pencils
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2467504
and another one i did with color pencil
>>
>>
Cant post images but one of the best colored pencil only users I've seen is HelloBaby. She's on dA.
Theres also a chick on dA that does fantasy pirtraits and busts AND theres somebody who does mostly animals. These 2 I don't know the name of are often on the most popular page.
I can post when I get home if u guys want.
>>
color pencil is hard as balls to fill a plane of solid color evenly or make smooth gradients

apparently you're supposed to think about it in layers and glazes/washes like watercolor but I can't wrap my head around it
>>
>>2467196
i tried but being a retarded jew, color theory illudes me.

infact, my coloring is so terrible it literally hurts eyes, so i have a restratining order on all forms of coloring, including color pencils.
>>
>>2467719
How about copying colour palettes first?
Colour theory is one thing but I practiced colour combinations I like by hoarding photos and illustrations with nice colour palettes, then forcing myself to apply those colours in a drawing.

Also, more colour is not always better. Try some limited palette exercises too.
>>
wet
>>
File: thumbs_color01.jpg (2 MB, 2793x4231) Image search: [Google]
thumbs_color01.jpg
2 MB, 2793x4231
>>2467751
no youre absolutely right

im actually learning how to apply colours by copying colour palletes of other painting and photos, also applying generic color theory knowledge like warm foregound cold background and trying to get something out of it, understand why certain things are more or less pleasant to look at.

im getting somewhere but its slow. i was more of a paint-on-your-own person than study and learn person so i have to force myself oftenly, but its gaining results nevertheless.i want to do some digi-pleinair soon but its fucking obsolete. here are my qasi-recent color thumbs. (copied color palletes from painting, photos, but also my own inventions in combination with the mentioned stuff)
>>
Color pencils are fun, especially on toned paper.

>>2467719
Limit your colors. Buy a few individual pencils instead of sets, build a palette with a specific purpose in mind. If you're drawing people you can go by with mostly earth tones and a couple of blues to balance it out. I really like the Derwent Drawing pencils for this, with just a handful of pencils you can make a realistic portrait.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.