[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Manben
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8
File: superior_mangaka_protip.jpg (164 KB, 1000x625) Image search: [Google]
superior_mangaka_protip.jpg
164 KB, 1000x625
Manben is a documentary series that is currently in its second season in Japan. Japanese comic book artists are filmed up close while working for a few days and then they discuss the footage.

Fujita Kazuhiro whites out and redraws a face 7 times. Asano Inio photoshops the hell out of landscape photographs and draws over them to make them look hand drawn. Saitou Takao goes straight from outline to a fat permanent marker. I get a kick out of seeing how each author ends up with a finished work.

torrents:
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=search&cats=0_0&filter=0&term=manben

a group that's subbing this:
http://pepperanon.blogspot.com/search/label/manben

my favorite episode so far (Fujita Kazuhiro) on dailymotion:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3y7htn_urasawa-naoki-no-manben-manga-documentary-s1e2-2015-fujita-kazuhiro-english-subs-720
>>
i think i saw this on youtube . i liked it . it is very interesting to see how the whole process of making a page from different artists
>>
Was this the documentary series that was being discussed and got a ton of requests for subs a long time back in that thread about the author/artist of Princess Jellyfish's autobiographical manga? I'm glad it's got a team on it.

Is there anything like this with western artists? It seems like (American) art relies entirely on independent publishing. There's never any sponsored projects. Only ever small podcasts with guest artists.
>>
>>2457751
It is exactly that. Her episode (and the rest of the season) is subbed now.

If there's been a western equivalent I've yet to see it.
>>
>>2457746
This is a great series, anon, and I also really like the Fujita Kazuhiro one.

I also liked the one with with Higashimura Akiko (girl in the purple and yellow track suit jacket, if I'm not mistaken). She seems to not give a fuck and draws fast, just to finish her stuff on time. Though I think her stuff looks a bit lazy and lacking a good sense of solid form.
>>
Thanks for the link
>>
>>2457746
This sounds pretty awesome, will check out later
>>
That is good shit, thanks!
>>
>>2457746
thanks OP
This is great stuff
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>Art
>Mangos

Fine art / Illustrat + Mango split when?
>>
File: 1456327875303.png (38 KB, 926x549) Image search: [Google]
1456327875303.png
38 KB, 926x549
>>2457867
>Mangos
that's what /i/ is for
>>
>>2457746
Manbeeeen.
>>
>>2457746
>Asano Inio photoshops the hell out of landscape photographs and draws over them to make them look hand drawn.
This was pretty uncomfortable to watch.
> b-but muh magical asians!
>>
>>2457746
just one question OP, which will decide if I'll torent those or not

DO ALL HAVE THAT ANNOYING PIECE OF SHIT FEMALE VOICE?
>>
>>2457746
What, do you expect him to draw every single realistic background from scratch with the time constraints a manga artist has?
>>
Thanks for the heads up, OP.
This sounds interesting.
>>
>>2457867
Never. Elitist non-artist losers like you are a minority here and any fine art circle-jerk board would be dead in a matter of days.
>>
>>2457916
Asano Ino's workflow was inspirational as fuck. The guy is the prime example of an artist who is incredibly skilled but also understands the value of creative problem solving. If all you got from that video is "muh photos, not real art!" you are never going to make it.
>>
File: 11234.jpg (55 KB, 275x254) Image search: [Google]
11234.jpg
55 KB, 275x254
>>2457746
>Kids don't know what manga is so the first gateway they discover manga from is shounen manga.
>It makes you want to draw something they won't forget, something that's interesting and simple, something good.

What a fucking nice guy, you want to go drink with him just by looking at his face.
>>
None of them draw from the fucking shoulder. I don't think I've ever seen a professional draw from the shoulder. Is drawing from the shoulder just a trick to keep competition down?
>>
>>2458416
No.
Look at what tools the artists use that draw from the shoulder.
Also:
>draw from the shoulder
Most people misunderstand what that means. You do.
>>
>>2458440
Please enlighten me.
>>
>>2458416
>>2458440
They draw from the shoulder, they just don't ink from the shoulder which is what they do 90% in the videos,
no one inks from the shoulder that's just retarded.
>>
>>2457922
She narrates occasionally throughout the shows, but it's never more than a dozen lines. I like her voice.

>>2457924
Not at all. His working style is my favorite they've covered so far in fact. I love when people fly in the face of the orthodox like that. The guy uses Photoshop whenever it seems like the best tool for the job. The 2 page spread of hundreds of aliens falling was a great example of this.

>>2458440
>>2458486
I'm not him, but he's mostly correct. Most of the artists covered didn't even lift their palm off the page for most of their drawings, from penciling to inking. Higashimura did some pretty awesome pen work with her whole arm, though. That was fun to watch.

>>2458416
>>2458445
You aren't mistaken, this surprised me too. The mechanics of using a dip pen make it harder to draw from the shoulder, but from penciling to pen work most of the artists used pretty small motions. This makes sense when you consider most manga is drawn at ~125% of the size it will be reproduced at, which is relatively small.
>>
>>2458416
It's meme created by the youtubers because they need those ad money
>>
>>2458490
>I'm not him, but he's mostly correct

Fujita Kazuhirodid sketch from the shoulder when doing the big shapes, look at 9:27, asano inio never scratched at all, he only inked, those were the only ones i saw.

And in any case, although many of them are good at creating stories and manga/comics most of them maybe except asano inio are not exactly what you would call good artists, why would
you expect proper technique from them? those videos are good to learn the process of creating comics, not really illustration.
>>
>>2458445
>please think for me
>>
>>2458519
I've seen all the ones with english subs and the norm has been resting their palm on the page for every step they can.

>most of them maybe except asano inio are not exactly what you would call good artists
They're all professionals with careers doing what you see them doing. Most of their work doesn't stack up to fine art or illustration, but fine artists and illustrators don't have the workload they do with weekly deadlines stretched out over years. It's not a fair comparison because at the end of the day they aren't selling artsy images, they're selling comic books.

>why would you expect proper technique from them?
I don't, and I don't think most of the people that are watching do either. The creator states outright that his purpose is to document mangakas at work.

I'm pretty sure we both agree on this anyway.
>>
>>2458562
>I'm pretty sure we both agree on this anyway.
Probaby if you talk about drawing as in sketching, because i don't see how inking from the shoulder makes much sense
no one except some exceptions to the rule are ever going to have the accuracy to ink from the shoulder and there is no real
merit to it, doing the gestures and the sketching from the shoulder is good to get loose and do more lively drawings but inking while paying attention
to line weight is better done from the wrist and fingers.
>>
>>2458578
I'm not advocating any way of drawing. I think his whole series shows there's no one "right" way to do it, which I guess is the only point I was trying to make.

I personally draw with only my pinky finger barely touching the page most of the time. I wouldn't call that an orthodox or necessary technique, and the show supports that (at least in this one very limited field).
>>
>>2458562
>>2458519

Most mangaka and comic book artists are a thousand times the draftsmen than your average fine artist or illustrator.
>>
>>2458623

Note I (>>2458562) said "Most of their work doesn't stack up to". Which is entirely different than "Their abilities don't stack up to". Someone who has days to make a single image will usually turn out a better finished product than someone who has to do several pages of individual images per day.

I have no strong opinion about the relative strengths of professionals in fields I've never even worked in. You'd be hard pressed to support your opinion, though.
>>
File: img000007.jpg (186 KB, 728x1032) Image search: [Google]
img000007.jpg
186 KB, 728x1032
>>2458623
>Most
If buy most you go from the top 100 in fuckign mangafox maby, but most manga artists draw like shit,
if you go digging you will find incredible shit if you take your eyes from the popular ones for a moment,
and that's coming from someone who spends way too much time reading manga for his own good.
>>
>>2458623
They are superior in producing low quality work for time spent, but if you asked them to do a realistic portrait in color they'd be inferior compared to the average fine artist.
The thing is that they specialize in a field where quantity > quality. It's not their fault, but the demands of their profession that shapes them to be like that.

in b4
>b-b-but muh one exception to the rule..!
>>
>>2458623
Yet they can only draw headless figures
>>
Both are cool guys, very nice to look at their process. Also fucking japan, just has some kind of magic to their land and people, really want to go
>>
>>2457746
bump
>>
>>2457746
Whats the figurine he is holding near the biginning of the video? It's really cool
>>
Manben is the greatest thing since I've watched some alt. comics documentaries. Watched the first season and now I am hooked to see more.
>>
See and niggers here never believe me when I tell them manga artists constantly cheat out the whole drawing process

Then again so do most western comic artists
>>
>>2461350
The majority of manga artists have very tight deadlines, of course they'll have to cheat eventually.

All that the readers care about are the results, and that's fine.
>>
>>2461355
Did I say it's not fine, or something?
>>
>>2458682
My guess is that mangaka are just as average as all other artists, it's just that they are highly visible. I don't agree with what you claim about quality vs quantity or that mangaka are bad artists because they need to shoot for low quality. It feels like you have a high level view but didn't look into details yourself.
>>
>>2458682
>They are superior in producing low quality work for time spent,

They are superior in producing sequential art in general, regardless of time spent. Take out the deadlines, give them infinite time and the fine artist / illustrator still couldn't draw a comic book page half as good as a good mangaka or comic book artist.

People who don't really understand sequential art always write it off as "hurr it's okay for for the amount of time spent on it", but completely ignore the fact that it requires a different, much more difficult skillset to draw a good comic page than to draw a realistic portrait from reference or a vase of flowers or whatever.
>>
>>2461382
>draw a realistic portrait from reference or a vase of flowers or whatever.
because that's totally what fine artists and illustrators do and absolutely nothing else
>>
>>2461350
american comic artist cheating is pretty questionable since they have really wide schedule if they at all.
>>
>>2461387
I mentioned the realistic portrait because that's the example that guy was giving me.

> if you asked them to do a realistic portrait in color they'd be inferior compared to the average fine artist.
>>
>>2461391
tracing is incredibly widespread amongst american comic book artists. Even shamelessly tracing the work of other artists. Ever heard of Greg Land?
>>
>>2457746
Are those torrents for season 2 as well? I'm on my phone and can't check. Season 1 was great and left me craving for more.
>>
>>2457759
There's the comic archive channel on YouTube. That's the closest I've seen to this.
>>
>>2457746
Ooh, I hadn't seen that particular episode with Kazuhiro. It was quite fun to watch, thanks for the rec!
>>
File: 2016-03-31_13h47_47.png (472 KB, 645x651) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-31_13h47_47.png
472 KB, 645x651
I really loved the new ep with Igarashi Daisuke. so neat.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x40ksp0
>>
>>2466138
That leopard girls was HOT!
>>
>>2457746
>Symbol drawing gone to far episode 2
>>
File: witches_v01c01p038.jpg (123 KB, 728x1059) Image search: [Google]
witches_v01c01p038.jpg
123 KB, 728x1059
>>2466316
ok
>>
>>2466398
is that crazy hassan's arch enemy?
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.