[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We need to address this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr nose.png (185 KB, 680x566) Image search: [Google]
tumblr nose.png
185 KB, 680x566
We need to address this
>>
>>2457449
No, it doesn't really need to be talked every week.
>>
>>2457450
Every week? I don't lurk /ic/ like I used to. I'm more used to this shit being spammed on /co/ every other day. So what's the overall census?
>>
>>2457449
for every painting of a tumblr nose there is an equivalent cheesy paintings of dragons and spacemarines.

and this >>2457450
>>
>>2457455
Pull it out of the archives. It's probably still in there.
Just the standard, tumblr dumb har har har stuff.
>>
>>2457449
This kind of nose is only ok in a cold environment for a nose-nipping winter feel
>>
>>2457467
And if you're drunk or possibly ill.
>>
The one on the right is better though.
The nose isn't flat skin color.
>>
>>2457480
True, but it doesn't stay completely red as depicted by tumblr.
>>
>>2457485
Also true, but considering they usually use it in stylized works, the extreme red color is more fitting than that of nothing.
It is a bit extreme, but in terms of design choice regarding it, its nothing new or bad. Its just misused by people who don't understand what's going on. But that has nothing to do with the design choice, and everything to do with bad artists being bad.
>>
>>2457487
I agree with that sentiment. I just wished it weren't being used every goddamn where.
>>
>>2457449
Have you thought that maybe they have a cold all the time?
>>
no we don't. fuck off.
>>
>>2457480
>>2457485
>>2457487
>>2457488
>>2457492
Same fags.

Stop shitposting

7 posters 12 posts and 3 of them were the first 4
>>
>>2457496
>1 person says something
>another says something else
>first person replies to that person
>second person replies back
>first person replies 1 more time
thats 5 posts with 2 people.
you're fucking stupid.
>>
>>2457487
The argument people here isn't that it's bad, it's that tumblr artists almost always use this nose so much that you can call it the "tumblr nose" and other artists know exactly what you mean.

This thread isn't to defend them. If you like the style so much, go back to tumblr.
>>
>>2457499
So you're telling me the point of this thread is to pointlessly hate on something despite it being a viable technique and stylization?
>>
File: tumblr_nly91baSG51sh2b3ho1_500.jpg (132 KB, 439x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nly91baSG51sh2b3ho1_500.jpg
132 KB, 439x750
>>2457449

it's one of those normie digital art memes,
like purple/brown filter, colored lineart, CalArts, motion blur, and chromatic aberration.

if anyone's remembers digital art from ~2006 it was all lens flares, particles effects, and those edgy futuristic soldiers.
Back when "re-imagined fanart" was the shit.

When it comes to digital art, people just like copying whoever's popular on deviantART, ConceptArt, and Artstation.

Since all the popular digital artists have abandoned those places to become rich KickStarter/Gumroad/Patreon -senseis,
tumblrs just inbreed their memes until they get that frustrating "style-blob" garbage that makes you want to hurt people.
>see: pic related

it's been around long enough to reach 'ironic' status. wait a few months and it'll die of heat death.
>>
>>2457501
Uh... No. Regardless of it's stylizing properties it still remains overused and underutilized in it's approach; simply being there just because.

I don't think I've ever seen a scenario where the tumblr nose was justified, such as a character being drunk, sick, or cold. The nose exists simply for not. You even mentioned how extreme it can be. Maybe if the artist gradually worked pinkish tones in the nose instead being a red blotch it would be acceptable.
>>
>>2457512
A large part of caricature is exaggerating features. The nose being slightly pink -> being bright right.

You hate it simply because other people use it and you don't like it.

Noone disagrees that tumblr abuses the fuck out of it, but you just told me that
>Don't defend it, we're just here to hate it

completely disregarding any stylistic choice simply because reasons is a horrible trait to have.
>>
>>2457512
4chan abuses ironic stupidity
>>
>ITT: How long will it take for tumblrfags to continue defending "muh style" when it keeps getting rehashed by EVERYONE?
When does this become "my stylistic choices" when every fucker on Tumblr does this? It's not "yours" if everyone is doing it, that's the problem.
>>
>>2457542
>ironic
I think you might be over estimating your average anon.
>>2457553
The difference is when its intentional because you know what you're doing, and when its just copying what everyone else is doing.
For example, lots of people draw anime. Anime is popular and done by a lot of people. However if you're just drawing anime without learning why they have pointy chins or giant eyes, you're not making a stylistic choice, you're just copying other people.
If you learn why they art stylized that way and chose to do it because it appeals to you, then it becomes a stylistic choice.
>>
>>2457556
I think you might be underestimating the average anon.
>>
tldr

It's correct that the nose and blush have a slight red glaze because there's more blood vessels
it's not correct to paint 'em red
>>
>>2457564
>I think you might be underestimating the average anon.

I used to think that too, but the longer I spend here the more I realize that half the people I think are shitposting actually mean it.
>>
>>2457449
The first nose is still a shitty tumblr nose. It has the same broken perspective that is common to tumblr styles. It's basically drawn at a different angle than the face itself.
>>
Wasn't there some really popular literal faggot on tumblr that popularized it? Can't remember his name, but I think I'd recognize his work if I saw it. He had a thing for fancy fabrics.
>>
>>2457826
It all started on DeviantArt long before Tumblr
>>
>>2457506
This has nothing to do with digital art, you retard. There are tons of tumblr artists who draw these traditional media children book-esque characters with red noses.
>>
>>2457564
>underestimating the average anon
I don't think you realize how retarded the average anon is.
>>
File: 1430363852330-1.png (24 KB, 692x764) Image search: [Google]
1430363852330-1.png
24 KB, 692x764
>>2457449
My nose looks like that when I'm cold.
>>
>>2457449
Ok here goes.
Its a real thing.
Not one concept artist will disagree that this is a thing in human beings tinging pink or red on the ear tips and nose tip to show bloodflow is a valid technique. In terms of tumblrites usage not so much.
Look at blizzards goblins look at even magic cards. Red nose, subtle but there.
So it doesn't need to stop. It needs to be used correctly.
>>
>>2457449

>my cheeks have blush all the time
>cold, warm doesn't matter
>people think I'm shy and calls me out on it

I just want to have pale face and look like corpse all the time.
I'm afraid that I could have cancer or something.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.