[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the advantage/difference and effects you can get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Stipula_fountain_pen.jpg (350 KB, 3072x2050) Image search: [Google]
Stipula_fountain_pen.jpg
350 KB, 3072x2050
What's the advantage/difference and effects you can get using a fountain pen instead of felt tip or roller ball pens?

I've been obsessed with the Uniball Air but I'm thinking of picking up a Lamy Safari or some other cheapish fountain pen just to experiment, but I'm not really sure why you would choose a fountain pen over any other type of pen. Can you vary the line width easily?
>>
I got a pilot metropolitan pen to try them out, and in my experience the lines aren't terribly different to a fine tip pen, but I think it feels nice to use. You can vary the line width a little bit by turning the pen, though that also can disrupt ink flow and make your line skip. Basically there's an 'optimal' way to hold it that has a pretty steady line weight, then you can use the back for a much thinner line, but as you turn it from one to the other it can skip, if that makes sense. Drawing in general with it can lead to an inconsistent ink flow, they seem to work much better with flowing lines (like handwriting in cursive). I still enjoy doodling with it though and I think sketches come out looking nice.
I'm no expert though, I've only doodled with mine and it's far from a high end fountain pen.

I think I've heard that dip pens are better for flexible line weights, but I've never used one.
>>
>>2457211

interesting, thanks. that makes me rethink getting one if it doesn't really add anything new from other pens.
>>
>>2457510

If you want a pen that can really vary line weight, get a brush pen. It takes a lot of getting used to, but once you get precise with it you can get massive variations in your lines.
>>
>>2457523

I've fucked around with faber castell brush pen. You are right though, it definitely seems like something you need to learn because my thin lines are way too shaky. I may need to look into the pentel brush pen.
>>
>>2457173
I don't trust fountain pens, I'm sure there's some good quality ones but the ones I had always leaked.

I rather use a pen and nib with an inkwell, you just dip it, let it leak off any excess, ink and repeat.
It's a slow process but it works and you can do some neat stuff with it.
You can angle it to get super thin lines, kind of like using a painters knife.
Obviously when using it the way it was intended you can get a lot of variation, it's good for people with heavier hands who might have a hard time controlling something soft like a brush pen.

You can also flick the pen to purposefully spray ink droplets onto your page if you want to do that sort of thing.

Fuck your life if you spill that ink well though.

Overall they are a lot of fun to use and that is the main reason to buy one.
Last I checked a simple pen and nib set isn't really that expensive.
>>
>>2457173
They just feel nice to use. A lot more variety in ink choices too, if you care about that. And since most of the inks are dye-based and not water-resistant you can do washes with a waterbrush. Some nibs do give you line variation but not nearly as much as a dip pen would, and the feed will often have trouble keeping up with the flexing if you go too fast.

Fountain pens are great if you don't mind the extra maintenance of cleaning and refilling often, though they're still not as bad as technical pens. Just keep in mind that there's a lot that could go wrong with a nib, so it's possible you might get a turd even if you get a really expensive pen. It's also possible to get something really good for a few dollars. A Safari is a pretty good first choice.

>>2457558
Felt tip brush pens are real bad, though. I've never bothered with fancier brush pens, I just keep a couple of waterbrushes filled with fountain pen ink or Ecoline.
>>
>>2457173
I've used fountain pens for several years (LAMYs) and I've recently switched to ballpoints after reading the Scott Robertson book. Ballpoints are superior because you can make faint lines for construction and then add line weight. They're much more versatile and clean.

Fountain pens are pretty crappy in general for drawing. Unless you spend a lot of money on a gold nib you won't have much flexibility, and line thickness is all you can change because of how ink flow works in FPs.

If you want to draw directly in ink because of how it forces you to commit to lines, buy a disposable 0.3 felt tip india ink pen and see how you like it. They're pretty much the same thing as a Lamy Safari.
>>
File: 1449567033-1409694975_n.jpg (18 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
1449567033-1409694975_n.jpg
18 KB, 600x338
>>2457908

I don't mean to shill but I got really tired of felt tip sakura micron and faber castell and papermate flairs nib's breaking down after a few days and then basically being useless so I sought out an alternative I'd read about, the Uniball Air.

This thing is fucking awesome. The ink is great and you can make really thick or thin lines super easily, to the point where I and other people I've read online couldn't believe that it's a roller ball (the ball and cone thing are pitch black so it's hard to tell to) and not a felt tip marker pen. I haven't looked back. I think it only came out last year so a lot of people don't know about it yet.

>>2457600

Doing a wash would be pretty cool, I guess that's probably how most people do it right? I've tried with roller balls but it seems like once the ink dries that's about it so unless you do it quickly you can't do a wash. I like the idea of a dip pen but I like to work outside on the go so having to keep and open container of ink seems really annoying. I'll probably end up getting one just to fuck around with it, good to know the safari is a good choice.
>>
>>2457588
>I don't trust fountain pens, I'm sure there's some good quality ones but the ones I had always leaked.
I've used a lot of (cheap) fountain pens, and the only ones which leaked were Chinese. Get a German or Japanese fountain pen, it won't leak. I mostly use a Lamy Safari.
>>
>>2457173
I used FP and collected them for a few years, typically ones in around the $100 range. They're fantastic for writing, but I think you'd be better off with something else for drawing because they're a bit rigid in use. If you don't use them a specific way, it can skip, feel scratchy, etc. Case might be different with a Flex nib, but I don't have firsthand experience with that type.
>>
>>2459264
Even my $3 Jinhaos haven't leaked, seems very rare unless you toss them around a lot.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.