[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I can't make smooth looking lines to save my life. Besides
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: shitty lines.png (105 KB, 707x900) Image search: [Google]
shitty lines.png
105 KB, 707x900
I can't make smooth looking lines to save my life.

Besides Illustrator, is there an art program that can make my pen strokes look smooth? I am using Manga Studio, and have stabilization set as high as it can go... but that doesn't get the job done.
>>
Paint tool sai has a good stabilizer. Looking at your drawing though it looks like you just need more practice. Im assuming you're using a tablet and those can take a long time to get use to. Just keep working at it.
>>
>>2442614
there are ways to make lines smoother besides stabilizer.
1) you could draw bigger and then scale it down for presentation. some line inconsistencies will be "discarded" if they weren't too drastic, cause when you scale down, you lose data.
2) don't connect your line (you make connect them later if you wish). it makes drawing confident strokes much easier, which brings me to
3) draw a sketch first. line quality comes down to confidence and when you're not sure what you're drawing or where to place lines, that slows down the process which makes the lines wobbly or just plain wrong.
>>
>>2442625
In response to suggestion number two; you might be able to see right down the middle of my image where my two lines connect. This is because I drew half, flipped the image, than did the other half.

I am more comfortable drawing down and to the left, it seems, so I try to do this as much as possible. How do you recommend connecting the two lines?

>>2442618
I am going to try paint tool sai as soon as possible. With Manga Studio, there is a brush called the "g-pen", which has more of a smoothing ability than the other default brushes. Is their an equivalent for paint tool sai?
>>
File: 1364390695364.jpg (69 KB, 520x678) Image search: [Google]
1364390695364.jpg
69 KB, 520x678
>>2442642
>drew half, flipped the image, then did the other half
>I try to do this as much as possible
My god, anon, what a horrendously dangerous habit you got there. You should consider getting rid of it as soon as possible before you find yourself drowning in symmetry issues later on. I mean, how do you even draw traditionally? Do you do one half, flip the paper, then draw the other half there? This is just my two cents, but man, this is some dangerous shit you're trying to pull off, mate.
>>
>>2442680
If you think it has potential to become a bad habit, I will avoid doing it from now on. Would you say the same applies to rotating the image, as well?

I don't draw on paper at all, but if I did, you make a good point that this technique wouldn't work.
>>
>>2442680
are you serious? LMAO I always abuse this when I'm using Sai. (well... not anymore!) need to find that dA tut which taught me that going this is a good way to find mistakes.
>>
There's a good tool around called Lazy Nezumi, which gives you very good tools to stabilize lines and also perspective helper tools.

It's rather expensive, though, look it up in google.
>>
Don't draw the lines so damn slow.
>>
I use Clip Studio, and I've found that a really effective method to get crisp lines is to zoom in really fucking deep (i'm talking 800-1000%). You will literally see the pixels at that depth and have surgical precision. Draw over your sketch layer with a vector layer, so any lines you make can be adjusted, lengthened, shortened, curved, pinched or whatever the hell if you feel.

When you come back out to the normal resolution, the bumpier sections of the lines are practically invisible.
>>
File: flipping.png (34 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
flipping.png
34 KB, 800x600
>>2442696
Rotating the image is okay, since you'll just be drawing the same curve from a more comfortable angle.
>>2442700
This is what happens if you draw with a flipped image. You'll be drawing nothing but concave angles and neglecting convex angles. By flipping the image and working from there exclusively for the other side of your figure, you're literally limiting yourself to drawing only one side. It's virtually as worse as mirroring your drawings, mate. If you continue doing this, the moment you try drawing outside of digital, or try to draw without flipping, you won't be able to finish pretty much anything that's supposed to be symmetric because you've been neglecting the muscle memory that you should have been building since day 1.
>>
>>2442700
I only said flipping for drawing lines makes a risky habit. I didn't say anything about "flipping images to check for mistakes" being bad.
>>
>>2442741
interesting. i'll give that a try some time
>>
>>2442614
don't jump directly into lineart. I redo lines 3-4 times over the sketch. maybe that's just my autism but it helps me.
Also have a neat chalk brush witch turns out better than classic round. (applicable to some works tho)
>>
>>2442614
The best single piece of advice I ever got about digital art was to zoom in until the line you need to draw covers your whole screen and then try to do the entire thing in one quick motion. Then, since that won't work, undo it and do it again. Repeat 5-1000 times or until you like the line you end up with then do it all again for every single line in your drawing.

Even if you have a stabilizer program you should probably be trying to do this. You get straight lines by drawing with your arm, not your fingers and wrist. You can sketch however you want but do this for inking.

Also, make sure you have Ctrl-Z mapped to a button on your pen or tablet, you're going to be using it a lot.
>>
Use the thinnest brush/pencil retard
>>
>>2442941

It's easier to make smooth brush strokes with a thick brush, not the other way around.
>>
File: git gud.png (333 KB, 544x339) Image search: [Google]
git gud.png
333 KB, 544x339
>>2442614
>>
>>2442931

yup

drawing smooth lines makes your shoulder burn
>>
It's probably been said already, but drawing with quick dashing strokes is more likely to get you what you want. If it doesn't turn out the way you want, Ctrl+Z and redo it until you're happy. That's what a lot of the digital artists I've seen do, anyway. You're probably used to drawing with pencil. It's just a matter of getting used to the tablet. I'm going through the same thing myself, man. It's like learning to draw with your weaker hand. Using the smoothing effect within the program isn't great practice, and is only going to fuck you over further down the line.
>>
>>2442985
u literally fucking wot m8

and i think hes using the pressure sensitive brushes too, which makes it even harder
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.