[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What keeps us from drawing every second of every available hour
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8
File: villpubigdick.png (742 KB, 1023x916) Image search: [Google]
villpubigdick.png
742 KB, 1023x916
What keeps us from drawing every second of every available hour to become the best?
>>
>>2441764
the urge to make shit threads like this one
>>
Work.
Eating.
Other leisure activities.
Shitposting on /ic/.
You'd probably get sick of it drawing that much.
You'd probably get repetitive strain or carpal tunnel.
You're making threads like this so you don't have the spark anyway.
>>
>get urge to draw things you like
>realize you're shit
>get urge to practice
>ok that's enough
rinse and repeat
>>
File: something from some years ago.jpg (62 KB, 379x530) Image search: [Google]
something from some years ago.jpg
62 KB, 379x530
>>2441767
'k'
>>
A healthy mind.
>>
>>2441764
shitposting
>>
>>2441810
sauce
>>
>>2441817
i don't know anon
>>
>>2441764
yourself
>>
>>2441769
hit the nail on the head pretty much
>>
>>2441764
Everybody says I have to draw live models to get better at drawing people but I can't go out to those life drawing sessions
>>
>>2442745
but why do you want to draw ppl if you don't like to go to out to see ppl?
>>
>>2442814
he said he cant, not that didn't like to.
>>
File: burnoutparadisetitle[1].jpg (173 KB, 480x348) Image search: [Google]
burnoutparadisetitle[1].jpg
173 KB, 480x348
>>2441764
>>
Fear that what I do is pointless anyway and I have no real purpose with my art.
>>
Everything and anything will quickly suck ass if you do it for every second of every available hour. Directly stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain will suck if you do it for every second of every available hour.
>>
Video games
School
Work
Shitposting
The fact I'm still not entirely sure what I should be doing to git gud
Having to git gud at work related shit because I don't plan on making a living with art.
>>
I found that if I just keep a pencil and paper sitting on my desk, I naturally begin to doodle. Just keep that shit near you at all times.
>>
>>2445402
Ah, the anti-spark.
>>
Why can't I draw. All day at work I think about going home and drawing, but when I get home I don't do anything. help.
>>
>>2445448
Not gonna make it.
>>
>>2445450
should I give up?
>>
>>2445448
Go home and lie on your bed for like ten min. That way you revive your energy. Then devote the next 30 min-hour to drawing. Just dont jump immediately on the computer/tv or else you will be stuck on it because you are draining your energy to it. You need a break from that shit.
>>
>>2445914
w-will you keep me warm while i lay in my bed?
>>
>>2442745
There are youtube videos that simulate figure drawing classes. Look up Croquis Cafe.
>>
This is actually an interesting question. To be honest I'm a lazy fuck, I want to do what's easiest most of the time, browsing reddit and 4chan is pretty easy.
>>
>>2445448
This is good advice >>2445914 it's so easy to be distracted with instant gratification these days, all the entertainment you could possibly want is right at your fingertips. It takes will power, but you have to separate yourself from the ability to waste time on the internet or on tv. and especially /tv/.

I dont' mean you should throw your laptop/computer out the window, just do like anon said, go home, lie down, then draw. Break the habit of all those times throughout the day when you'd typically do something that's distracting you from what you WANT to be doing. If you're like me and have the urge to watch something on youtube before you go to bed, just leave the laptop on the table, don't bring it to bed. Little things like that help I guess. The point is it's easier to get off the internet when you haven't gone on it in the first place. And really this goes for all distractions, I'm just assuming a big one(guy) for you is the internet.

Make a regular habit of going to coffee shops with nothing but a sketchbook and a book for inspiration or an ipad full of reference photos (the best option) if the shop has a wifi password, don't ask for it, you don't need it. Coffee shops are great for artists I've filled my sketchbook in a quarter of the time I would have otherwise from going to coffee shops and just focussing. Same with digital painting, if you have a cintiq and a laptop, or a cintiq companion you can do digital work anywhere that has power outlets. USe that power. I've found it much easier to focus on my painting when I'm in a coffee shop, even though I have the internet infront of me on one screen, I don't know why, it's just easier to focus.

TLDR break your habits. go to coffee shops.
>>
>>2445977
OH and also sometimes when I'm on the internet or doing something distracting. I take a second to think logically about what I'm doing. I ask myself, "in a day, or in a few hours, will I be glad I spent this specific time doing what i"m doing? Or will I regret it?"

I do this whenever there's something I feel like I should do but don't really want to do it. I weigh the options from a point of view of having already done them. from a "future me" perspective. Usually this snaps me out of the rut and I get to work.
>>
>>2445977
>>2445981
this was really useful, thank you. especially that last part about the future perspective. That one really hit me. Just got to try harder.
>>
>>2445987
yeah I'm serious taking yourself out of your head and looking at things from a "hindsight 20/20" view really helps.
>>
>>2445977
>>2445981
>>2445914
>>2441769
>>2441764
God bless all of you anons. Whatever your level of skill is, don't forget you are always good to the drawing community.

I like the cafe/coffee shop idea. I like to drive to work about 30-60min early to give myself some time to draw in the car.
>>
>>2446071
I first interpreted that as "I draw in the car as I drive to work"

Made me chuckle.
>>
Fear of getting a RSI is actually what's stopping me. Any advice on that, actually?
>>
>>2441810
I bet he browses /mu/
>>
>>2441764
My wrist.
>>
>>2446184
If your hand starts to feel weird, take a break.
You probably won't be drawing enough to get RSI.
>>
File: ahoo.gif (2 MB, 336x199) Image search: [Google]
ahoo.gif
2 MB, 336x199
>mfw after months of doing nothing I've been drawing constantly for the last 14 days.
>those AHA moments when I am reaching a new plateau every two days.
>I am finally using my brain
>feels so goddamn good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTiOhl6gRtg
>>
>>2441764

Work
Constant family visit
Vidya, I want to get rid of this hobby but I always end playing more than 10 hours a week
Im kinda happy because I used to spend many hours doing social life but I completely leave that shit
>>
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
>>
>>2446236
This OST is wonderful. Thank you for sharing.
>>
I see vilppu and proko recommend this style of holding your pencil because you can "draw from the shoulder" and tripod makes you draw from the wrist. However I can draw from the should using tripod perfectly fine.
I mean I understand why they'd do it from a the whole shading perspective, but considering most the stuff people here do is done digitally that doesn't have too much of an impact.

Am I missing something or is it just their preference do to their traditional background?
>>
File: 1398457744068.jpg (28 KB, 267x400) Image search: [Google]
1398457744068.jpg
28 KB, 267x400
>>2446236
>>those AHA moments when I am reaching a new plateau every two days.

It'll become weeks then months, anon, then you'll overcome the initial hurdles and diminishing returns will kick in. Enjoy it while it lasts, godspeed.
>>
>>2441764
to talk to girls
>>
Ignoring the physical abnormalities that would come from nearly every waking moment being drawing, it sounds unhealthy from a mental aspect. Plus, imagine how badly that would cripple your inspiration and connections. I think it's important to experience non-art stuff, even the simplest things, in order to fuel your artistic endeavors.

>>2446469
I switch between traditional for live figure sessions and digital for nearly everything else, and yeah, there's a huge advantage to being able to move in massive strokes and lay your utensil to the side for shading + line width, which can't really be replicated digitally. It also reinforces much more delicate line control and thinking because it's less 'precise' and rigid than the tripod method.
>>
File: pillow.png (88 KB, 400x325) Image search: [Google]
pillow.png
88 KB, 400x325
Fear of failure, bottomless self hate.

>>2445956
I would anon. Dibs on big spoon.
>>
> What a horrible night to have a cold
>>
>>2441764
Money
Diseases
Will
>>
crippling sense of insecurity and inferiority and the ever recurring thought that i'm not good enough and i'll never be good enough and no matter how hard i try my peers will always be better
>>
>>2441764

Artists who do nothing but draw all the time are boring people, and make boring art.

You gotta live your life, if you want to make art worth seeing.
>>
Chores
Family
Friends
Sleep
Eat
ShitPissCum
Other than that, most everything I do is art related.
>>
>>2441764
i have to devote time to coitus w/ ur mum
>>
File: 1349966798516.jpg (62 KB, 482x600) Image search: [Google]
1349966798516.jpg
62 KB, 482x600
>>2446506
maybe, but I am no beginner, I just finally can see and I am on the brink of becoming really good.

>>2446365
you're welcome

https://youtu.be/138ajKRMzIY?t=157
>>
>>2441764

Actually you can draw almost any time you like anon. I do.

You see the very act of thinking about drawing or creating is pretty close to the real thing.

It has been scientifiaclly proven that athletes who think about there training a few hours a day prove to be more effective by a wide margine than those who don't and only do regular practice.

so you see anon you can draw even when your not drawing and you will get better.

this secret that is what the rich don't want you to know.
>>
>>2446341
Is overdiagnosed. You are more likely to get it if you work at an assembly line.

What you should really be worried about is tendinosis. 3 months for a CHANCE of healing.
>>
>>2446845
You should definitely go out and experience the world... While drawing it.

What are you suggesting he do, go smoke weed at parties?
>>
>>2441764
Injury.
Drawing all day can actually hurt you.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.