[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you know when you're done with a painting or illustration?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
How do you know when you're done with a painting or illustration? I have a problem of 'finishing' an illustration but then going back later and adding / changing things. This could happen 2, 3, 5 times. How do you know when to just leave it alone and that its at its best? Also does anyone else have a problem of making variations of a drawing, and not being able to decide which you like best? How do you overcome that?
>>
You just either
A.Know
B.Get sick of it
or
C. Be sick of it, but proud knowing it was at least close to what you wanted to acheieve, so next time you do something like it, you'll have learned from your mistakes.
>>
>>2430926
You forgot
D. Your deadline is in one hour and this is as good as it's going to get.
>>
>>2430921
Render a 30% size circle Ok done good job
>>
>>2430921
Be more decisive
>>
>>2430921
when you are contented

/thread
>>
>>2430921
>want to draw x
>start drawing x
>is it finished?
>no > don't stop
>yes >decide what you want to draw next
>>
No work of art is ever finished, only abandoned.
>>
>>2433399
deep
>>
I think it's when you've finished all the interesting parts
>>
Peter han says, if you have to ask yourself "is it done?", then it's done.
>>
File: richard schmid - croatian girl.jpg (246 KB, 1242x1281) Image search: [Google]
richard schmid - croatian girl.jpg
246 KB, 1242x1281
>>2430921
according to Richard Schmid it's a lifelong struggle
>beyond a given point, most additional work tends to weaken the strength of the painting
but he also says a lot of nonsense
>>
>>2435404

I think there's truth to that, especially traditionally.

It's a little different digitally because you can completely rework parts. Still, sometimes more rendering doesn't improve the piece.
>>
The amount of time needed to make visible progress on your drawing is exponentially rising the longer you work on it.

Example:
Visible progress from sketch to blocked in values is big, while the difference between detailed texture and more detailed texture is rather small. Rule of thumb: If you feel like you're not making progress anymore, move on.
>>
I make notes about what to fix or work on with a white brush/pen on a separate layer i can check off when i get stuck figuring out what to do next.
>>
>>2430921
When you're a professional, your client decides that for you.
>>
>>2430921
When you either achieve what you intended to create in the first place, or give up because of lack of skill. Or just when you get sick of working on it I guess.
>>
When I feel that there's nothing more that I can learn from it.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.