[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My mom thought she was being nice and got me 4 of these, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8
File: 91uEpwLc1iL._SY355_.jpg (28 KB, 305x355) Image search: [Google]
91uEpwLc1iL._SY355_.jpg
28 KB, 305x355
My mom thought she was being nice and got me 4 of these, but I only use Strathmoore or borden and riley; canson paper makes me want to throw up. Is there anything I can do with this?
>>
>>2428853
Draw in them.
>>
>>2428853
Use them? Maybe not for finished pieces but for practice?
>>
>>2428853
>I only draw in organic, fair traded free-range vegan paper.
>>
>>2428853
Your mom WAS being nice. You are an ungrateful cunt that can't appreciate nice things. Fill those sketchbooks with drawings even if just studies, thank your mom, make an awesome portrait of her and give it to her so that she can hang it on the fucking fridge because obviously she is trying to support you in your endeavor and show you that she cares.

Fucking hell it's not that hard. Moms and dads are great. Be grateful that you have them.
>>
>>2428884
and then move out of your mom's basement, faggot.
>>
File: PhvjE0s.png (476 KB, 623x563) Image search: [Google]
PhvjE0s.png
476 KB, 623x563
>>2428889

>paying schlomo the landlord a quarter of your income for the priviliage of living in his fifth shitty rental

lol no thanks, brah. I'm saving 95% of my salary each month and will have 100k in the bank in 6 months after which I'll put down 30k on a 20% downpayment on a 3br2ba house and rent the other two rooms out to mates who will pay more than my mortgage so I can save and become shlomo myself. Moving out before you can buy or rent and put away at least 70% of your income is poor people thinking 101. Any woman that objects is a whore you don't want to be involved with; find a practical woman and stick with her.
>>
>>2428853
What's wrong with these? I bought a stack of them on sale and they are perfectly fine for practice.
>>
>>2428935

they are pretty shitty compared to Strathmoore 400 series sketch.
>>
>>2428949
I actually have both side by side right now and while I had a whole post written out about how the difference between them is negligible the more I look at them the less I believe it. The strathmore is much smoother and can produce higher quality lines with pencil.

However, for churning out sketches it doesn't really matter. I didn't buy these things to produce drawings for exhibition.
>>
>>2428884
Fucking this. Fuck you OP, you're probably a garbage artist anyway who thinks good products = good art. I've seen people do masterpieces on fucking napkins, you can certainly use this decent paper for some sketches, thumbnails, and studies you ungrateful prick. I am with this anon, make her a portrait and give it to her and show her appreciation because you're lucky to have a mother supportive of your craft. Some kids say they want to do art and get disowned, called faggots, or forced into other more lucrative careers they have no interest in. I'd tell you to kill yourself but I don't want to
hurt your mother, who's clearly a wonderful woman to be so thoughtful of you, Too bad she raised a fucking turd sandwich as a son/daughter.
>>
>>2428949
Yeah and compared to other brands, strathmoore is shit-tier. You understand now why you're being an ungrateful douchebag?
>>
>>2428853
You can use them you piece of shit. It's not like your shit deserves good paper.
>>
>>2428989

Name a better brand of sketch paper.

>>2428985

I'm not planning on telling her. I might now that out of spite for you for being such a cunt. Hope you are happy with yourself you fucking cunt. My mom is a saint, she does art herself, mostly watercolors and we talk about it all the time. She always clips the little Michaels 50% off coupons for me even though you can just get them on your phone. I even maintain separate sketchbooks, one with the lewd drawings, so I don't break her heart by seeing naked ladies. So you can fuck off honestly, I don't need the haters, I have enough in my life already.
>>
>>2429003
>I don't need the haters, I have enough in my life already.
If you have "haters" in your life then you honestly are a big dramatic cunt. Cunt.
>>
File: 1403475535244.jpg (198 KB, 1078x1348) Image search: [Google]
1403475535244.jpg
198 KB, 1078x1348
>>2429003
>I might now that out of spite for you for being such a cunt.
>I might punish my own mother in spite of some asshole I don't know on the internet

You're a piece of shit.
>>
Why are you even spending your time with Strathmore if cheap sketchbooks offend you so much? Burn all your current shit and just use Arches for all your furry fanart sketches.
>>
>>2429003
>unironically using the word haters
>>
>>2429003
Did you get lost on your way to tumblr?
>>
>>2429003

You sound like a fucking FAGGOT and I hope you fall victim to some horrible illness later in life.
>>
>>2428853
This didn't go the way you thought it would, huh OP?
>>
>>2428853
send me your paper annon.
>>
>>2429003
nigga nobody hates on someone who aint shit
>>
>>2429003
I hope you realize how much your mom loves you. Just use the goddamn sketchbooks.
>>
>>2429113
Mom is that you?
>>
>>2429127
Why don't you call more often?
>>
strathmore is equally cheap product for poorfags
>>
>>2428853
I got two of theme last year. They're good for ballpoint sketches, but pencil smears awfully and looks awful after some time. Use them for random observational drawing if nothing else. Nothing too serious, they're good pocket books to keep you busy. Literal 'sketch' books.
>>
>>2429248

Serious question, brah. What's an expensive high-quality paper for sketching?
>>
>>2428853
Wtf dude just draw in them. If your more worried about paper quality then mileage then your fucking up.
>>
>>2429290
fabriano master race
>>
>>2428853
>>2429003
IT'S FUCKING PAPER
>>
>>2429290
Anything smooth and 100% cotton rag. Try watercolor papers. Arches, Fabriano, Moulin du Roy, Hahnehmuhle. Kind of pointless for just sketching, good for finished work though.
>>
>>2429290
go by feel and weight. OP is right that canson 65lb is crap, but canson's 98lb is pretty good for sketching. So are most other brands at that weight, as long as they're hot-press (i.e. smooth).

>>2429402
makes good suggestions. These brands at lighter weights like 98lb are good for sketching, and are god-tier at higher weights, especially Arches.
>>
>>2428853
You ungrateful mother fucking piece of shit. No, I'm not trolling, but I'm fucking mad. Your mother care enough about your interest that she went out of her way and got you these. SHe thought of you and how she wants you to keep drawing. If she didnt want you to draw, she wouldn't have gotten you this shit. But no, "IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH! I ONLY DRAW IN FAGGOT FUCK PAPER". You're a fucking scumbag, dude. You'll be in your 50's and find these with dust on them and filled with your shitty drawings. Hopefully you'll be happy you kept them because it's something you kept that your mother gave you out of LOVE. My mother is going to be 76 this year. She doesn't have much longer here. CHerish your fucking mother who loves you obviously.

You're a fucking piece of shit.
>>
>>2429440

I feel sorry for you; it sounds like your parents didn't love you enough that you are stuck on 4chan alone on a saturday night making mean posts in response to a thoughtful thread asking about what to do with paper someone doesn't want, especially since the op has no intention of telling his mother and actually thanked her gracefully.

Get better, anon, and try to keep your self-loathing under control before it completely destroys you.
>>
If you find it to be too smooth, use it for marker studies.

If you find it too thin, use it for charcoal studies.

If you find it too textured, use it for pastels.

If you find it too thick, use it for quick watercolors.

If you have some other reason for not liking them, use it for figuring out compositions, working on layouts, doing quick pencil studies, doing quick pen studies, doing quick ink studies, practicing mark making, scrap paper, take notes in, jot down concepts and notes, keep a diary

If you're a pussy and are unwilling to explore other media, go to your local art college, find the freshman dorms, leave them in the lobby with stickynotes that say "We're Free! Take us!" so they can be used by people who would appreciate free materials and put them to work.
>>
>>2428853
Just donate it to Goodwill or a local arts school or something then. I'm sure there's an artist out there poorer than you that needs it.
>>
File: jest.jpg (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
jest.jpg
6 KB, 200x200
>>2428853
>implying that a guy that uses Strathmoore is somehow above Canson paper
>>
This thread made me realise I'm a piece of shit and that I don't show enough appreciation for my mum and dad. Thx op, dunno if you're trolling or just spoiled but you opened my eyes
>>
>>2428884
This. What the fuck is wrong with you OP?
>>
My aunt likes to buy me little art supplies whenever a gift occasion comes around like Christmas or my birthday. Sketchbooks, some sculpey, pencils, etc. Nothing elaborate but I really appreciate it all the same.

It can be hit or miss in the supplies. But op, even a product I would consider cheap/low quality, I would still use, even just to make a gift for her or to do basic exercises/practice with, because it's not just art supplies, it's a gift from someone that cares about me.

If you don't like receiving these gifts, talk to your mom and let her know what sort of supplies you prefer. I talk to my aunt about my art and what I use. I don't explicitly tell her what to buy, but I talk about what I'm interested in. Like I talked about my ceramics class and how I loved my elephant ear sponges, for christmas she gave me a small bag of them. These conversations work to everyone's benefit. We get to spend time together chatting, and she knows (more or less) what sort of gifts I'd enjoy and get the most use out of. It's a win win.
>>
File: alexrossjokersketchbook.png (1 MB, 1104x728) Image search: [Google]
alexrossjokersketchbook.png
1 MB, 1104x728
Stop being a faggot. My sister gave me this, it's pure cringe, it's literally print paper clipped together, just thinking about she actually paying money on this poorly glued "radical comic nerd stuff" cover makes me shiver. But you know what, the drawings i've made on this sketchbook were uncompromised, and the fact of me not worrying about making something look good and finished made me have a lot more fun filling up the pages. Was the time i was drawing the most per day actually.
>>
use them for practice or send them to me ill use them
>>
>>2428884
Came here to post this. Kill yourself OP. You're unworthy of a loving mother.
>>
>>2428853
>canson paper
buy some watercolors you faggot
>>
there's no such thing as useless paper unless it's, I dunno, shredded or smeared in literal shit. You just need to figure out what medium would work best for the paper you have.
>>
POST YOUR ART OP>>2428853
>>2428853
>>2428853
>>2428853
>2428853
>>2428853
>>2428853
>>
File: 1450998009122.png (205 KB, 505x431) Image search: [Google]
1450998009122.png
205 KB, 505x431
>>2428853
>; canson paper makes me want to throw up
>>
Nobody knows what to give me for gifts, I tell them pencils and sketchbooks. So far only a few people have been thoughtful enough to gift me sketchbookl, most of the time though the family shoves them in boxes too small and they end up being shaped like pringles.

For a while I was getting by alone on computer paper from work, they only printed on one side so why not use it. Now it's been reduced to quick gesture only.

Not all of us had parents supportive or stable, get over yourself.
>>
File: Spark.jpg (2 MB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
Spark.jpg
2 MB, 2272x1704
>>2428853
If you had the spark you could have drawn godtier drawing on printer paper, NOT GONNA MAKE IT sparkless faggot
>>
>>2428853
Ungrateful shit.
>>
>>2428853
you need some beatings boy
>>
>>2429935

I'm 28
>>
>>2429999
would have guessed 12 but w/e
>>
>>2429999
yikes
>>
>>2428872
Post of the year so far.
>>
>>2429999
not gonna make it
>>
>this thread

fucking kek
>>
>>2429003
You're disgusting.
>>
I only use double ply toilet paper. Everything else is just a toy.
>>
>>2429290
I generally just look at the paper in the store. It's pretty easy to find what you're looking for just by looking and touching. I picked up one of these in a sale a few years ago and mechanical pencil looks really sleek on it, it's really nice to draw on.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sketch-Darbotz-Sketchbooks-SRK/dp/1856695441/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457279857&sr=8-1&keywords=darbotz
>>
>>2428853
The fact that you need to come in here to ask what to do with paper describes how much you suck as an artist.
Grow up.
>>
File: image.png (29 KB, 133x144) Image search: [Google]
image.png
29 KB, 133x144
>>2429003
>So you can fuck off honestly, I don't need the haters, I have enough in my life already.

How did I miss this gem of a thread. I bet your work is mediocre too, your mom sounds like a nice hippie lady and I hope she doesn't get too disappointed when you give up art in 2 years.
>>
>>2429003

you're a bitch, ya know that?
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.