[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any point studying art at university? It seems like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: improvement.jpg (254 KB, 1918x1025) Image search: [Google]
improvement.jpg
254 KB, 1918x1025
Is there any point studying art at university?
It seems like a huge waste of money when you could just teach yourself.
>>
He actually got worse...
>>
structure and socializing is probably the only plus. if you don't have a problem with this then fuck it, save your money.
>>
>>2422361
i was thinking the same thing, how does that even happen?
>>
>>2422375

it's not so much him getting worse but its him not improving likelihood is he drew very little between the two images

both suffer from glaring errors but in different places

there's no reason to read into this persons images
>>
>>2422359
It looks like he spend more time on his signature than on the picture itself
>>
File: 1456095677161.png (26 KB, 436x498) Image search: [Google]
1456095677161.png
26 KB, 436x498
>>2422359
you go to school for competition, something you dont find at most art schools anymore.
>>
File: 1455045567798-ic.jpg (44 KB, 374x374) Image search: [Google]
1455045567798-ic.jpg
44 KB, 374x374
>>2422359
Oh fuck me, he signed the second one!
>>
>>2422359
aside from networking and peers you might end up collaborating with
its not for everyone
but it is for me, who learns best having a mentor over my shoulder
>>
If you think that getting a formal education (in any subject, career) is a waste of money, then you shouldn't even try art

>Is there any point studying medicine at university?
>It seems like a huge waste of money when you could just teach yourself

thats how stupid your point is

PS: you suck at art
>>
>>2422359
Depends.
I started on a unoversity since I didnt know what I wanted to do with my life, but I'd rather do something rather than sitting home doing nothing all day (university is almost free over here, but that you can feel in the quality of the school..). I do regret it since I could have learned everything that they have thaught me on my own, and faster, and there's a lot of things that is completely irrelevant to me, but at the same time I know that I would not have gone into art without it, not found myself a goal, both in art and life. Also, having classmates who are interested in the same field as you is very motivating.
>>
>>2422359
I bet this faggot still got like 30 people commenting on his piece that likes it
>>
>>2422359
Idk. My friend goes to art school that is actually pretty amazing.

It probably helps a lot more if you don't drill yourself as often and puts you in the mindset you need.

>>2424163
You need a license to practice medicine. It is illegal otherwise. You can be good at art without having a degree. They're not really things you can compare.
>>
>>2422370

Socialize with the right people, though. DO NOT put yourself in a hugbox.
>>
>>2422359
If you go to a non-bullshit classical art school like vid related, or an atelier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpxrY0O40Ic
>>
>>2422361
right???!
>>
>>2426921
>tfw you will never attend this school
>>
No, there is no point. Unless you're really good at it and expecting to have a full-time job offer while in university or got a full-ride scholarship. Don't even bother.
>>
>>2424163
Art and Medicine degrees aren't even fucking comparable.

Anyone can become a great artist without formal training. No one can become a great doctor without formal training.
>>
Granted the art school I went to in vancouver is a bit flaky and more tuned toward sculpture and painting, the school does provide you with resources if you want to use them. There are always clubs to join like minded people, and free life drawing on a regular basis. You may have to search for it but going to a school will give you access to tools you might not have outside of it. Also you meet friends and others to encourage and compete with.

Personally, if you have the money, I would suggest going to school. The worst that can happen is you discover that you were never cut out for it in the beginning and you can work toward something else.
>>
>>2426921
That's school is so fucking nice.
They even encourage the aspie students to fall in love to fuel their art, woah.
>>
>>2426921

I bet tuition is relatively cheap and housing and col in russia can be a lot cheaper than in the west. Taking a few years to do that with like 20k or so would be baller as shit. Teach a little english on the side for drinking money and you'd be set.

God the 9-5 makes me want to kill myself
>>
File: temp.png (161 KB, 935x704) Image search: [Google]
temp.png
161 KB, 935x704
>>2426921
>>2428266
>>2429241
>>2429294
not bad, but have fun learning slav
>>
>>2428266
Why not?
>>
>>2431125
I assume you need to learn Russian before you can even enrol
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.