[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do y'all fare with makeshift mediums (regarding oil
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: mystery medium.jpg (18 KB, 401x534) Image search: [Google]
mystery medium.jpg
18 KB, 401x534
How do y'all fare with makeshift mediums (regarding oil painting)?
I tried to make a DIY Gel Medium out of Linseed Oil + Galkyd Lite + corn starch + baking soda + gelatin powder. I'm not sure if this was a ridiculously stupid idea or something that every artist tries at least at some point.
Any tips? Anyone have any painting chemistry knowledge that can help a fellow arteest out?
>pic related: chunky paste medium I just made
>>
My only worry would be longevity. Definitely test it out and wait a few weeks to see how it dries/takes humidity before committing it to a final product.
>>
>>2420412
this is one of the slowest boards on 4chan, no need to bump until half an hour passes or so.
>>
>>2420417
Thanks! Yea I was sort of thinking the same. I think it would give good texture, but I'm also scared if it would make the paint crack when it dries.
>>
>>2420422
right, haha. I don't normally lurk on here so thanks for the heads up.
>>
Leanest Basic Painting Medium:
1 Part Linseed Oil + 5 Parts Gum Turpentine

Leaner Basic Painting Medium:
1/2 Part Linseed Oil + 1/2 Part Stand Oil + 5 Parts Gum Turpentine

Lean Basic Painting Medium:
1 Part Stand Oil + 5 Parts Gum Turpentine

All Purpose Lean Painting & Glazing Medium:
1 Part Utrecht Stand Oil + 1 Part Damar Varnish (5 lbs. cut) + 5 Parts Gum Turpentine

Fat Stand Oil Damar Concentrate:
1 Part Stand Oil + 1 Part Damar Varnish + 3 Parts Gum Turpentine

Very Fat Stand Oil Damar Concentrate
2 Parts Utrecht Stand Oil + 1 Part Damar Varnish

Very Fat Medium
1 Part Stand Oil + 1 Part Linseed Oil + 1/4 Part Dorland's Wax

Very Fat Medium
1 Part Stand Oil + 1/5 Part Damar Varnish + 1/4 Part Wax

Old World Glazing Medium
9 Parts Damar Varnish + 9 Parts Turpentine + 4 Parts Stand Oil + 2 Parts Venice Turpentine

Retouching Varnish
5 Parts Damar Varnish + 13 Parts Gum Turpentine
>>
Bill Martin´s Glazing Medium

1 part Linseed Oil (anybody's brand, as long as it is artist quality). This is a fast-drying oil.
1 part Walnut Oil (I use M. Graham's,) This is a slow-drying oil.
1 part Venice Turpentine (This is not "turpentine", in the usual sense of the word, but is the "resin" in this mix.)
2 parts Oil Of Spike (This is the solvent--it is NOT a drying oil such as Linseed .)

or

Lean (5 parts Turpentine, 1 part Venice Turpentine, 1 part Stand Oil)
Medium(2 parts Oil of Spike, 2 parts Venice Turpentine, 1 part Linseed Oil)
Fat (2 parts Oil of Spike, 1 part Venice Turpentine, 2 parts Sun Thickened Linseed Oil)

Ralph Mayer´s

1 part stand oil
1 part damar
5 parts turpentine.

The turpentine can be increased to as much as 7 parts for more fluid underpainting and reduced proportionally in each successive layer as above.

Glossier glaze medium

2 parts sun-thickened or stand oil
2 parts damar
1 part Venice turpentine

dilute with spirit of turpentine.

Slow drying medium - soft blending

1 part stand oil
1 Venice turp
and spirit of turpentine.

Atttributed to Rubens (at least some of his work)
3 parts Venice turpentine
2 parts sun-thickened oil
1 part damar
For the glossy look of the Flemish painters, the use of Venice turpentine is advisable in place of resins that have a greater tendency to darken and crack (amber, mastic, copal, etc.)
>>
Damar & Beeswax

2 parts damar varnish
1 part beeswax
3 parts turpentine

1. With the exception of the turpentine, combine and warm the ingredients over an electric unit, stirring them until they combine completely.
2. Once the ingredients are combined, remove from the heat and slowly stir in the turpentine.
3. Cool the mixture and pour into a bottle.

This combination of resin and wax is excellent for final paint layers. This medium serves to thicken tube oil paints and help produce pleasing impasto effects. It reduces gloss and dries in one half hour.
Proved over many centuries for its permanence and impermeability, beeswax combines well with resins and oils, and reduces some of the high gloss while it thickens the paint. A great aid to paint handling.

From Cennini

2 part beeswax
2 part turps
1 part walnut oil
1/2 parts damar, 1 part damar neering the end.

You could vary it in sooo many ways. If it's too stiff, just add more oil. If it dries too slow, just add more varnish. The best one I tried was with Black Oil. Wooof!!! The film was strong, elastic. I've also tried it with Stand, Cold pressed, and they're all subtly different.

From Cennini Forum

1:1 Stand Oil and Canada Balsam
or 2 parts Stand Oil, 1 part Canada Balsam and a touch of turpentine (careful of delicate underpaint with the addition of solvent).
or 4 parts Black Oil, I part Canada Balsam
>>
File: 2D3D.gif (771 KB, 369x241) Image search: [Google]
2D3D.gif
771 KB, 369x241
>>2420431
yesss, thank you!
I've never heard of Dorland's Wax so thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'm definitely getting my hands on that tomorrow. I generally prefer gel medium like Neo Meglyp, do you have a DIY recommendation?
>>
>>2420434
>>2420435
This really helps, thanks a lot for the information! I'm still quite an amateur so a lot of this is very unfamiliar to me, but I think I'm most interested in what you guys are saying about beeswax in medium. I wasn't so sure about how to get the viscosity AND texture I wanted, so I 'preciate it
>>
Straight Liquin niggas.

But really what are you trying to accomplish here?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.