[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can we talk about shoulder health? i'm drawing 6-9 hours
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 6W9Q7bl.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
6W9Q7bl.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
can we talk about shoulder health? i'm drawing 6-9 hours a day atm and ontop of all the other health issues what worries me most is the fact that my right shoulder seems to be a bit achy, tender and unstable.

wat do?

i remember back a year ago when i got tendonitis (not carpal thank god, carpal is bad news, tendonitis is quite manageable as it turned out) and somebody shared a set of exercises for your wrist/hand on here, that seemed to help tremendously. cured my tendonitis without me quitting drawing within about a week.

is there a shoulder equivlanet for that? i have 2 20kg dumbells lying around if that matters.
>>
I work in the slaughter side of an industrial beef plant. Most people there have sore hands. Mine are sore all the time except on long breaks. I also have trigger finger at night and in the morning. It's terrifying, tons of people there get carpal tunnel. Scrap one cow head fine. Scrap 1000+ cow heads for 8 hours and it hurts to masturbate.
My advice: Take breaks and put your hand in the warm knife purifier.
>>
https://youtu.be/x9bvVGFYl-8?t=387
>>
>>2413226

I just did a set of these and it feels sooooo good man. Holy fuck. Thank you!
>>
>>2413189
And somehow you see it viable to pick up drawing... your poor hands
>>
>>2413162
Any chance you can share / point me in the direction of those wrist exercises?
>>
>>2413226
Interesting
>>
File: 9H1Btjq.jpg (110 KB, 901x362) Image search: [Google]
9H1Btjq.jpg
110 KB, 901x362
When you have shoulder issues it's not just about taking breaks. You now also need to do exercise and build up strength in your shoulders to surpass your issues, otherwise you'll just end up taking longer and longer breaks as you get older. If you want to be an artist, now you also have to see being an artist as being a bit of an athlete.

>>2413226
This video shows very good exercises that you can do on your own at your home using rubber band exercises (you can buy them at fitness stores). HOWEVER, I do think he's doing it too intensely and if you're already fragile doing it quickly like this could fuck up your muscles.
>>
>>2413395
>When you have health issues it's not just about taking breaks. You now also need to do exercise and build up strength in your body to surpass your issues, otherwise you'll just end up taking longer and longer breaks as you get older. If you want to be an artist, now you also have to see being an artist as being a bit of an athlete.

now that is written down in my notebook
>>
>>2413226
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4IusSpBVEs

did the exercises on that video body weight and my shoulders feel so relaxed after months of tense

found on the same channel, I don't know what he is saying since I have the speakers broken on the laptop, but I am going to watch it at home, seems a pretty good channel, subscribed.

ty random anon, and you too other random anon >>2413395
>>
>>2413162
I worked as a custodian and then later as a prep cook/backup cook and it destroyed my wrist strength and gave me tendonitis as well. Mopping floors multiple times a day, 5 days a week amongst the other wrist-heavy work that happens in a custodial job started it, grating 60 pounds of cabbage, all the mixing, chopping, slicing in the kitchen made it worse. I had to quit both jobs because art is more important to me.
>>
I've had "snapping scapula" for over a year and going to Physio has helped that improve my shoulders stability a lot. The exercises are simple and low stress as its more about correcting posture and improving lower tier idle muscles.

I'd like to attempt to explain them but the nuance in it is something you'd want corrected in person and no amount of medical diagrams really fill that void.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrlNcAzUCP8

The pressup in that video is somewhat similar to what I do, however the emphasis is on keeping your lower shoulder blades together then having them flat when you've extended your arms. In general though its about correcting that motion and that kind of thing you don't want to be doing incorrectly.
>>
This is a worry of mine. Since I've been drawing a lot lately, my right shoulder has been very sore. No pain, just sore.
>>
Every hour for ten minutes put down what you're doing, take a little walk and do some stretches.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.