[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Downsides of becoming an artist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 18
File: 1406028447189.jpg (101 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
1406028447189.jpg
101 KB, 500x501
>While learning about form, composition, aesthetics and the finer points of art, you slowly come to realize how basically unappealing the anime art style really is, and we only like it because we have been conditioned to after years of dwelling in the internet.
>>
>>2411208
No, it's because you're conditioning yourself to appreciate a different kind of art.

>we
Speak for yourself.
>>
File: niko.png (335 KB, 500x502) Image search: [Google]
niko.png
335 KB, 500x502
I was drawing 4 serious before I watched anime and it looks hella nice to me. Maybe youre just gay.

Imo everything starts to look better the more you draw.
>>
> was only trying to do only detailed faces at first
> came to realize the purpose of simpleness in a anime face and now draw both simple and detailed faces

Feels good.
>>
anime style is literally just concentrated appeal

ur fkin dumb m7
>>
I have a fetish mainly done by terrible artists, and while I was totally fine with the quality before, I'm having an harder and harder time to ignore how bad it looks when fapping now.

Though at least I appreciate it even more when fapping to actually good drawings.
>>
File: 1451524685745.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1451524685745.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>2411208
Naw son, there's still some stuff in anime that make my dick rock fucking solid.
>>
>>2411219
I'm curious now, what's your fetish?
>>
>>2411220
souce?
>>
>>2411220
OP thinks all anime is Naruto. Retard confirmed.

I still like anime I just recognize the moe bullshit as well, moe bullshit without much substance in story or art.
>>
>>2411211
>>2411218

If you take an anime picture and show it to some elderly farmer out in the country who has never touched the internet, he would think that those bug eyed, misshapen freaks were the most horrifying thing he ever saw.

Anime doesn't have natural appeal.
>>
>>2411233

Which is why it predates the internet you fucking moron.
>>
>>2411234

Fuck off. You're missing the point of the conversation.
>>
File: 1441171115815.png (442 KB, 851x315) Image search: [Google]
1441171115815.png
442 KB, 851x315
>>2411233
>>2411238
Who gives a fuck about theoretical farmers.
Show your theoretical farmers a modern sportscar and youll get the same shit from them
>>
>>2411233
And if you showed that same farmer any western animated series, he would say it's shit.
>>
>>2411233
An elderly farmer out in the country isn't the market for that type of art. If he was the target audience then you'd have a different type of art that was appealing to his lifestyle/age.

How dumb are you?
>>
File: Classic-Cartoons-Wallpaper[1].jpg (451 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Classic-Cartoons-Wallpaper[1].jpg
451 KB, 1920x1080
>>2411238
What, by poking holes in a really fucking stupid argument? People got into anime well before the internet, and the really popular stuff like Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon took off before the internet was nearly as huge as it is now. You're the on who decided to take this in a different direction from the original, don't get mad when someone points out that you're saying something fucking retarded. You seem to want to blame anime's popularity on the internet, but that's fucking wrong, faggot. I started watching anime before I had even heard the word internet, I liked it then and I liked it now. I'm not some stupid cunt looking to bash something instead of trying to understand why it works.

Anime isn't made to appeal to elderly farmers, but I DO so like how you speak for them as if you know their minds inside and out. Anyways, anime has a niche audience even now, much like...oh yeah. This stuff. Cartoons, which share a lot of the same design choices executed in different ways. Big eyes galore, bet your imaginary farmer thinks Donald Duck is horrifying too. Guess cartoons are shit, too!

Wait wait wait. This is bait, isn't it? Aw, fuck, I've been had...
>>
>>2411242
>>2411243

My point is, there are some styles of art, GOOD art, that has universal appeal.
The reason why disney got so popular is because everyone around the world could appreciate the style. That was good art.

Anime is not good art
>>
>>2411252
Anime was directly influenced by Disney, you retard.

Go ahead and tell me Else doesn't look like an anime character, faggot.
>>
>>2411259

Yes, she does look like an anime character.
And frozen was shit.

By abandoning the realistic proportions thye used in movies like 'snow white' and 'the sword in the stone', they created something that wasn't timeless.

It's just a consequence of the insipid japanification of the animation industry.
>>
File: 1456082531468.jpg (2 MB, 2300x1726) Image search: [Google]
1456082531468.jpg
2 MB, 2300x1726
>>2411265
This is when you know this thread is bait.
>>
>>2411265
>timeless
Yeah, who gives a fuck? I made a shitzillion dollars and was incredibly appealing. It directly refutes your argument that this doesn't have appeal, regardless of your opinion of the movie.

Also
>The Sword in the Stone
>realistic
Lol, the fuck are you smoking?
>>
>>2411233
Betty Boop inspired anime's big eyes fyi
>>
File: not creepy at all.jpg (350 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
not creepy at all.jpg
350 KB, 700x700
>>2411208
>Downsides of becoming an artist
For me the MOST awful downside
1) Health.
I become fat and less healthy (i mean actual problems like with back or eyes). I keep telling myself "just a little bit more time to be a better artist and i sweeeeaaar i will go see a doctor and loose weight"...but it keeps eating years and im still here.
2) The second awful one is loss of social skills.
I dont think i cant talk properly anymore. My speech becamse a bit slower.

Otherwise i like being an artist. Sertainly better than not being one. After all whats the point of being healthy and having friends if you not being happy?
>>
>>2411226
Patlabor 2: The Movie
>>
>>2411265
I actually agree that the proportions in Frozen (and Tangled) kinda suffer but they're not anime faces so much as "kitty faces." I've seen a lot of edits done of Frozen and Tangled to give them more realistic proportions and while I like it with the real proportions...it doesn't have mass appeal like it does with the kitty proportions.

Little girls want to be like Elsa and Anna. Their designs are all part of it. The movie was a huge success, your opinion doesn't mean shit in the face of statistics and facts.

Also snow white wasn't really that realistic. Look at the dwarves. If that's mean to be realism, it's offensive to real dwarves (and probably really would be if it were made today DESU).

Also sword int he stone isn't timeless. Timeless means little kids will be watching it for years to come. Most kids aren't really gonna give a shit about fairytales anymore, that's why Tangled was kind of a risk for Disney.

This probably is bait though, so noneof what anyone says is gonna matter.
>>
>>2411278

Are you sure that's not just schizophrenia?
>>
>>2411278
I agree in the case of back problems and eyes, but I eat less when I work on my art. Stop eating next to your artwork and you'll lose some weight, tubby. Don't blame art for your inability to control your diet.

Smoke some weed, no one will care if your speech is slow then and it makes doing art more fun. It helps me get through more boring studies.
>>
>normies praise you for stuff you know is sub par
>>
>>2411284
Schizophrenia involves auditory and sometimes visual hallucinations. What about anon's post has to do with schizophrenia?

Source: My uncle and one of my friends have schizophrenia. My uncle experiences auditory hallucinations and cannot function on his own because of his mental state. My friend functions fine but occasionally has visual hallucinations.
Even for cases where hallucinations may not be fully present, anon's post still has no symptoms of schizophrenia.

Stop using this illness incorrectly. It's not multiple personalities, it's not a lack of social skills.
>>
>>2411294
This is probably the worst thing about being an artist, especially because sometimes it doesn't feel genuine either. I always second guess my skill-level because everyone around me praises everything I do even if i can tell it looks pretty damn bad.
>>
File: shot0012.png (2 MB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
shot0012.png
2 MB, 1920x816
pleb. go watch tekkon kinkreet.
>>
>>2411219

what's your fetish? I'm currently looking for an obscure side fetish to tap into with excellent work and absurd comission fees. someone suggested anal vore but i'm still looking for alternatives.
>>
>>2411299

Sorry, I'll shrek my privilege immediately
>>
File: 1280.jpg (118 KB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
1280.jpg
118 KB, 1280x688
>>2411312
And Ghost in the Shell
>>
>>2411302
>if you're a guy
they don't want you to punch them, so they say it looks good

>if you're a grill
they don't want to be labeled as a guy who's mean to a girl, because that translates to being mean to all girls and enjoy no gf forever
or be a jealous bitch if you're a grill also

desu anonymous crit is the best thing you can ask for
>>
>>2411284
>Are you sure that's not just schizophrenia?
Not sure if you are butthurt over something or just plain retarded.
>>2411289
i mostly becoming fat because of not sleeping and not doing exercises.
>dont't blame art
By logical thinking its the art that causing this.
The other thing - is it bad saying that. Because it's just simple fact. I wasn't literally blaming/whining or anything like that.
By my last part i said that i perfectly see what kind of problems i have but...im not here yet.
>Smoke some weed
Wat... i guess we are from different countries. In my country weed is banned and people who smoke it are subhumans so its a bit shocking to see people actually advicing it in art-threads lol.
>>
File: 870978097.jpg (5 KB, 230x219) Image search: [Google]
870978097.jpg
5 KB, 230x219
>>2411361
>By logical thinking its the art that causing this.
>>
>>2411361
>implying 97.2% of all artists aren't constantly blazed
>>
>>2411361
Based Harpeaux art.
>>
>>2411369
>By logical thinking its the art that causing this.
1) i spend more than 7-8 hours on art and decide not to sleep if i have to draw.
2) because of ART i break my sleep and go to bed ar morning after eating because...well human should eat.
3) because of ART i decide not to exercise if i need to spend time for drawing or working on an important game project.
Here is your answer retardo. You can post another meme picture if you want.
>>2411374
They/we are not. It's an old meme "LMAO ARTISTS SMOKE WEED BCUZ ITS THEIR INSPIRATION XDDD" but i dont think people who are not kids or normies after 50 think this way anymore.
Smoking weed or doing other retarded crap actually limits your ability to draw/focus/get your shit together.
>>2411377
>Based Harpeaux art.
thanks - was looking for the name of that artist
>>
File: 1439329381129.jpg (346 KB, 1104x1104) Image search: [Google]
1439329381129.jpg
346 KB, 1104x1104
>>2411396
It;s not because of art, it's because you have bad time management skills.
>>
>>2411289
>>2411361

>>2411396
This
Don't be a retard and start smoking because it relaxes you. It impairs your motor skills and drawing ability and reduces your ability to memorize things. Plus it doesn't help the weight thing with having the munchies.
>>
>>2411319
It's why I never show anyone my 'art', ever. I don't even think my parents know how seriously I'm practicing.
>>
>>2411396
you're eating more than your body requires, that is why you're gaining weight, it has nothing to do with when you eat or how little you exercise.
>>
>>2411246
Rainbro Brite is techincally anime since it was animated in Japan, and only produced in America.
>>
>>2411252
Lol, I always hated Disney stuff, even before I had watched any anime. There goes your universal style argument.

And Disney's style is still shit, even more as I learn more about art. It's bottom feeder crap which can't get out of its hole because of all the Trademarks and Copyrights it wants to hold on to until everyone on earth is dead.
>>
>>2411278
Why do you post max grecke in ever thread you know he's actually good right? He's worked for huge company's at a very young age, he's probably one of the most respectable young concept artists...
>>
We find big eyes cute because they are child like. It is a hard coded instinct in humans and other animals. Google neoteny
>>
>>2411252
>GOOD art
There's no such thing as universal "Good" art, everyone has their own taste and preference for aesthetics.
>>
We find anime girls cute just like we find cats cute.
>>
>>2411278

>mfw I'm fit and have a active social life while making a living of art.

Altough half of my income is graphic design.

You're just not taking care of yourself.
You can help your back by getting a good chair and setup.
Also basic exercises go a long way.(for your weight as well)

Most of the time overweight people have no idea what they're putting in their body.
Read up on what food you should and shouldnt eat and stop with all the soda/fast food.

If you're too lazy to read up on it go to your local gym and have one of the trainers help you out with your diet and stick to it.
>>
Anime is the art equivalent to all the fuckoff animals in Australia and on various Pacific islands. The main styles have undergone supercharged evolution because there was so much competition in a closed off media market, and a uniquely shameless environment that knowingly designs for the purpose of masturbation.

For example, 1000 year old blond loli vampires are absolutely ridiculous. But somehow they became standardized copies of each other that shove more and more sex appeal into the character with each incarnation. Just like retardedly posionous Australian snakes that can kill 40 people in a bite for absolutely no practical reason.

Even someone who hates anime may occasionally look up at a J-list ad and think one of the girls are a bit cute, it's hard to resist that much concentrated effort to appeal to you.
>>
>>2411278
>I dont think i cant talk properly anymore. My speech becamse a bit slower.

Spelling's great though.

But seriously, what are you talking about? I've been drawing for twenty years; don't think it's ever had any adverse effect on my communication skills. You... you may need to step away from the drawing desk.
>>
File: 1440788359316.jpg (222 KB, 642x1068) Image search: [Google]
1440788359316.jpg
222 KB, 642x1068
>>2411742

Anime was a mistake.
>>
File: 1362180083777.jpg (587 KB, 1920x2165) Image search: [Google]
1362180083777.jpg
587 KB, 1920x2165
>>2411208
Don't worry, that's only the early stage when the beginner is starting to go into full Dunning Kruger mode, thinking they suddenly have such a great understanding of anatomy and shit that everything but masterful realism is beneath them. Once you actually get decent at art, you will once again learn to appreciate good stylized art and also realize that there isn't just one "anime style".
>>
File: gardenofwords.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
gardenofwords.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>2411233
You're completely correct. Anime has no natural appeal whatsoever. None.
>>
>>2411757
Eh, that's totally what hapened to me, though I was more into full Araki mode.
>>
>>2411208
You space out too much, just by looking at the world around you and admiring it.
>>
>>2411746
Realism was a mistake - picasso
>>
>>2411861
>>2411861
>picasso was a mistake - everybody with 2 neurones
on other news:
>hyper/photorealism was a mistake - everybody with 3 neurones
>>
>>2411864
>art was a mistake - STEM majors
>>
>>2411219
Its giant muscle lolis destroying cities aint it?
>>
>>2411765
>you will never draw shoes in a weird garden while it's raining and look up to see a qt beer drinking animu girl

Why live?
>>
>>2411927
Mathematics was a mistake - Philosophers
>>
>>2411278
That's autism, and it has nothing to do with your studies.
>>
>>2411208
Drawing qt females and comparing their faces to mine and becoming extra self conscious about my own features.
>>
>>2411208
Who are you quoting you queer
>>
>>2411396
But it isn't because of art that you choose unhealthy, high calorie meals that keep you fat instead of healthy meals. There's plenty of healthy food that's quick to make just like a hot pocket.

Face it, you're a fat slob using art as an excuse not to take care of yourself. The amount of skinny artists out there proves you're full of shit
>>
>>2412567
humans was a mistake - god
>>
>>2411413
It's good for boosting creativity. If you have the ability to get sativa over indica it'll keep you more alert. I live in CO so I kind of have an advantage and can pick strains that'll give me the creative boost without much sluggishness and loss of motor skills. If you smoke enough to feel it too rather than getting ripped it's great with any strain too. If you get too high on any strain though, yeah, it's gonna make art harder so if you're really ripped, save it for brainstorming. I've come up with some great ideas while i was high, I just couldn't actually draw them until I sobered up again. So keep a notebook.
>>
Good morning
>>
>>2413161
Basically this, familia.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 500x316) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 500x316
>>2413494
Dont worry im sure you are a qt, bro
>>
>>2413161
>Tfw I have no problem with this because I am a qt.
>My problem is how to approach the qt grills because I'm autistic as fuck.

Fuck.
>>
>>2413510
But if you are a qt girls should approach you.
Also you can do it, its just talking and trying to hide your nervousness maybe
>>
>>2413512
Sure they approach me, but once I open my mouth all my autism spew forth. I guess I'll just try to draw and hope another grill artist talk to me... and tolerate me... m-maybe? Someday? ;_;
>>
>>2413574
let them do the talking, just say "yeah, that's cool baby".
>>
>>2413504
Th-thanks anon

>>2413574
No homo but I'd probably tolerate the shit out of you, bb
>>
>>2413577
I do that but I can't keep it up for too long. ;_;

>>2413589
>tfw actually a homo
Grill homo will never find tru rabu. ;_;
Might as well draw kawaii uguu waifus.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.