[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he saying that it's hard to draw bad on purpose once
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
Is he saying that it's hard to draw bad on purpose once you draw good?
>>
>>2406927
no, his saying it's hard to have that absolute no give a shit creative based on absolutely nothing but the mind artistic freedom a child has. Kids don't care about how shitty their life is how what art critics think. They just shit out whatever is in their brain without a care in the world.

but no anon, be an absolute fucking retard and take picasso as literal as you can.

jesus fucking christ why are people so fucking retarded?
>>
"When I was a child, I spoke as achild, I understood as a child, I thought as achild; but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

There's a time when you become an adult and forget what is like to be a child.

I can only imagine trying to be one again.
>>
>>2406927
probably a misqotation. this is a real one:

>It takes a very long time to become young.

>Attributed to Pablo Ruiz Picasso in "The Hand of a Stranger (Journal D'un Inconnu)." Cocteau, Jean. Horizon Press. 1959
>>
>>2406927
it actually just took his father leaving him :^)
>>
>>2406952

Kek
>>
I think it's easier when you take the word paint out of it.

Life breaks us all when we are children and molds us into 'adults,' but that process is beyond our understanding and by the time where we desire to look back on what happened to us, it is just somewhat educated guesses.

To figure out how you were broken and to reverse it towards being your pure natural self (or simply knowing what it was like) certainly will take a lifetime. Or more.
>>
>>2406940
You could not possibly miss the point of the quote any harder.
>>
>>2406927
Made me giggle.
>>
>>2406999
I simply wonder what it would be like to be a child again.

Also, nice trips.
>>
File: 141617215718.jpg (180 KB, 534x627) Image search: [Google]
141617215718.jpg
180 KB, 534x627
>>2406952
UNDERATEEEEEEEED
>>
I can only speak from personal experience. I graduate next semester with my BFA in painting. I spent the last 4 years (super senior here) grinding in and out of class to learn the fundamentals, anatomy, etc. I was incredibly motivated and wanted to be the best; realism/ skills are superior to abstract mentality. Anyway, over the past 6 months something has changed in my brain. I have been working much more in the abstract; loose brush strokes, squiggly drawing, paint splashes etc. IDK i think i just simply got bored with realism.... who knows maybe one days i will paint completely abstract non representational.....
>>
>>2406952
i love this conspiracy theory as much as i hate picasso, a bit. I love it a bit.
>>
>>2406999
hi satan, how's australia?
>>
>>2406927
im thinking he meant it took him a lifetime to overcome the boundraies of doing what people think he should be doing.

which imo why he appeals too so many.. he wasn't afraid to turn his back on order.
>>
>>2407019
>over the past 6 months something has changed in my brain
Your subconcious realized how cheap representational human anatomy is and if trying to save you from misery by making you hone your other skills.

It takes a couple years to learn to paint what is, it takes many a lifetime to learn how to make something that actually enthralls people.
>>
>>2406927
This is my view on this -
you misinterpret "draw like a child" to "draw bad". Drawing like a child means you don't have preconceptions about what a painting should be - painting like raphael is all about fitting into a preconstructed framework. The fact that you think childlike=bad means that you are so engulfed by the discourse of academic painting that you can't really see a picture for what it's worth, you just compare it with what it should look like in this framework.
>>
>>2406927
>picasso
>skilled like Raphael

Topcuck
>>
>>2406940
>not posting the entire quote
>misquoting

>“Critics who treat ‘adult’ as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”
It's funny because you're exactly the kind of person he was talking about.
>>
>>2406927
Picasso was a con artist. His good paintings were his father's.
>>
>>2406927
>it took me four years to paint like raphael

stopped reading here, hide this shitty thread.
>>
>>2407019
Are you me? I'm also going to graduate with my BFA and I switched to abstraction because I got so bored with the figure. It just stopped appealing to me.
>>
>>2406952
lel
>>
>>2406927
I think that's true. I can paint realism decently, but can't do cartoons or anime.
>>
>>2407416
>"I didn't give up! I was just bored!"
>>
>>2406927
he's saying it's difficult to paint in a loose, free, expressive, and totally uninhibited way. especially when you've trained to be analytical and realistic with your art, but also because people in general are usually out of touch with the sort of freedom, joy, and nonjudgmental attitudes that children possess.
>>2407412
it's hyperbole, but he was pretty good as a teen. inb4 daddydidit conspiracy theory.
>>2407416
>>2407019
it's absolutely necessary to continue painting freely and explore the paths that interest you, but bear in mind that picasso pretty much mastered realism before he began deconstructing toward near-total abstraction. I think young artists in particular will benefit both from careful studies and loose experimentation.
>>
>>2406927
His early paintings were nice considering his age back then, but it was no where near the level of Raphael - not even close.
>>
>>2407458
"pretty good" as in fucking average at studies. nothing too bad, nothing exceptional at all either.
>>
File: youmad.jpg (154 KB, 961x815) Image search: [Google]
youmad.jpg
154 KB, 961x815
>>2407019
>>2407416
Post your figures
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.