[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to preface this post like this. My preconceived
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5
File: cunt.jpg (15 KB, 564x564) Image search: [Google]
cunt.jpg
15 KB, 564x564
I'm going to preface this post like this. My preconceived notion about the FZD school's videos are that they are useless. They are an advertisement for the classes packaged as free hours long tutorial sessions. The reason I feel that way is because the only people I ever hear or read talking about them are people who are really terrible digital painters with no style. I don't like Feng Zhu's style or approach to art.

That said, I'm looking for any free resources to help me design architecture for personal work, and I'm starting to wonder if there are any glimmers of wisdom in those hours of video that Feng uploads to his channel. If not, are there any other videos or resources /ic/ would recommend?
>>
>>2404793

I know someone who went to FZD and he said you can pretty much learn what they teach if you do Scott Robertson How to draw book.
>>
>>2404793
The reason why it looked useless to you is because feng zhu has a strong foundation when it comes to perspective and form that it looked rather fast and unpolished for your taste.

But then again, Feng zhu is a concept artist.

I strongly suggest learning basic drawing and perspective lessons before tackling architectural details.

For architectural refrences, I suggest learning from the architectural styles point of view. Let's say gothic or art noveau architectures.
>>
>>2404793
>digital painters with no style

you are an idiot. FZD is not about painting nor is it about style. Guess what the 'D' stands for.

They are obviously an advertisement, but nonetheless they are packed with tons of tremendously valuable info and industry insights.
>>
I mean, there lectures are good. I will say they charge a bit much for what info they provided, but granted, it's still very good info. If only more places went with the Schoolism route and provided a "self taught" price and went on from there.
>>
>>2404829
Your friend sounds like he is retarded. Anything any art school teaches has been written down in dozens of books already. It's the ability to talk to teachers, have them correct your mistakes, listen to lectures where they go over homework assignments, do student paintovers etc that makes art schools a valuable learning experience. The actual material is obviously nothing secret or special that you can only learn there.
>>
>>2404864

>FZD is not about style

Yet all graduates of FZD have the same style.
lel
>>
>>2404922
I think that is more to do with FZD education is geared towards a concept art.
That being said stylised concept art can exist but it's a niche
>>
>>2404922

You can find style wherever you want, doesn't mean there was any intention of it. to me the FZD stuff also looks very samey and unappealing, but I'm self-aware enough to know that I'm viewing their work with my illustrator-eyes, not my designer-eyes (I don't have any of those).
>>
>>2404837
You don't know what my taste is. It's not that it looks fast and unpolished. All of my favourite artists use impressionistic strokes.
>>
>>2404939
we didn't believe you when you pretended you were kronz, it wont work with feng either
>>
>>2404829
As far as I know you only learn for a couple of hours and you spend like 5 times more time on your own grinding.
>>
>>2405025
I'm not trying to pretend I'm Feng. I don't know what who Kronz is. I'm a watercolor sketcher primarily and I have no interest in concept art. I'm a hobbyist and don't intend to be any more than that
>>
Nah son. People don't go to FZD to learn special shit. They go to FZD so they are forced to practice and get connections.
>>
>>2404793
I dunno, OP, but I learned and became aware of a lot of stuff when I watched the videos. Especially the first ones, as opposed to the later ones that has Feng reiterating stuff. I still like them and I learn some stuff but I don't rely on them.

And they are advertisements duh.

Also Scott Robertson, read it.
>>
>mfw got a job that can get me enough $$$ for FZD in less than 4 months
>only 7K left as protective padding before I head off to Singapore

See ya losers--I'm off to get crazy asian good. Enjoy your CGqueers leftovers.
>>
>>2405543
maybe you should consider talking to some people who have actually gone there first. i know several people who graduated there and they have very few good things to say about it.
>>
File: Pb4Q0LU.jpg (29 KB, 610x364) Image search: [Google]
Pb4Q0LU.jpg
29 KB, 610x364
>>2405543

Lol crazy asian good... more like another fzd clone. You can spot them from a mile.

You essentially leave the school and become a walking ad.
>>
>>2405547

please share?
>>
>>2405543
Kek

Enjoy wasting tons of cash. FZD is pretty much a scam, thought it was common knowledge at this point even among the non-professional art pleb.
>>
>>2405543
What kind of job?

>>2405741
I'd be willing to waste the cash for the immediate connections and excuse to draw all day.
>>
It's definitely hard to push yourself the same way you get pushed in a good art school, but it's possible. I think it's easy to be seduced by the idea of going to some far away place and practice drawing religiously as if it was some form of magic pill when in fact you have everything you need to get good at home. It's the same thing with people who move to a different city to get a "fresh start". They soon realize things aren't any different there and that they can't escape themselves.
>>
>>2406072
immediate connections to who? just go to art center. nobody respects fzd graduates, their portfolios are the first to get thrown in the trash
>>
File: 1455830282389.jpg (10 KB, 173x228) Image search: [Google]
1455830282389.jpg
10 KB, 173x228
>>2404793
>They are an advertisement for the classes
wow did you figure that out all by yourself, retard?
>>
File: IAA first year noobs.jpg (137 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
IAA first year noobs.jpg
137 KB, 720x960
Fuck FZD, I'd rather get into imperial arts academy... problem is, you must be able to draw like this to even consider applying.
>>
>>2406541
>....have to be good to go to school....have to be good......already good......don't need school, just wasting money to brag about school.

No one gives a shit what school you went to only what your work looks like, I can find dozens of amazing pros working now who never went to college. Especially in the past 5+ years with all the online information, tutes and classes cropping up. More than ever there's no need for overpriced college degrees. You're not going to be making enough when you start out to even pay for your school loans, sounds retarded to me.
>>
>>2406287
Existing people in the industry and people who are going into the industry.

Isn't art center a four year college though?

> their portfolios are the first to get thrown in the trash

Like I'm going to believe an /ic/ anon is actually an art director.
>>
>>2406595
We don't have loan system in our schools, but yeah, I understand your point
>>
>>2406541
Whats the point then?
>>
>>2407047
Need to git gud myself, that's my point.
>>
>>2404793
Ask and ex student anything
>>
>>2407053
did they teach you grammar, something like the difference between "and" an "an"?
>>
>>2406595
>can find dozens of amazing pros working now who never went to college
Post them.
>>
>>2407054
It's not a grammar school but and art school silly ¢π
>>
>>2407053
feng claims students work 18 hours a day, but that sounds like bullshit, how much time is actually work
>>
FZD is not good, only pros liked him. you want to go for the REAL artist that everybody likes, like Sycra.
>>
>>2407097

>yfw Sycra is Bobmeatbags mom
>>
>>2404793
All channels like that are glorified advertisements.

>>2406541
But concept art for videogames has nothing to do with academic painting.

CA is about spamming photobashed artwork really fast and churning out as many designs as possible so someone above you can pick one he likes and send it to a 3D artist.
>>
>1st FZD podcast
>You should work 16 hours a day to even consider the career
>Oh hai in our school for example...

So why bother? Go to neurosurgery instead. At least you'll have so much money that even your children will fight over it as you get older.

If you study 100h/week you're retarded.
>>
>>2404922
>m-muh style
Listen here, retard. The only style you should aim for is "good". Now stop shitposting and get to work.
>>
>>2407139

photobash only works for certain ips, has severe limitations and isn't even that fast compared to just drawing by a skilled artist.
>>
>>2407147

Feng has even said on video though that they purposefully teach a certain style.
>>
art schools are just good because they give you drawing time, everything can be learned by self studying
>>
>>2407143
>You should work 16 hours a day to even consider the career

He never even said that you lying cunt.
>>
File: AtulSketches128.jpg (120 KB, 660x340) Image search: [Google]
AtulSketches128.jpg
120 KB, 660x340
>>2404793

FZD is for people interested in design.

Architecture: Francis Ching
Transportation Design: Scott Robertson
Industrial Design: Koos
Entertainment Design: Feng Zhu

These people will teach you how to SKETCH, not paint, and how to design.
>>
>>2404793
You are a fucking cunt OP.
His videos are a pleasure to watch, and you learn a lot from many of them.

What can you do? Show us the true path, Leonardo.
>>
>>2409023
yeah lot of people dont understand this
>>
>>2407218
I feel like photobash is only good for adding some texture in areas where rendering it by hand would just be stupid.

I also dig the stealing values from photos kind of thing.
>>
>>2409023
>Scott Robertson
>transportation design
lmao pls no
>>
>>2409044
Nice pretend shill meme
>>
>>2411029

Its really good for realistic environments where you need just vast quantity in open world environments like skyrim,farcry ect;

>>2409023

Which is partially why his students improve so much, he focuses a lot on perspective and hard surface. Which is honestly probably the easiest thing to get pro level at.

perspective is mostly intellectual and compared to figures takes a fraction of the time to learn.

Notice how on his episode comparing before and after portfolio the hard surface stuff improved a lot more than there figures.
>>
- Yes, they're an advertisement.
- No, they are not entirely useless. If you learned something from them, then they still served a purpose. Whether or not you personally deem that worthy is your own choice.
- They teach design, not painting.
- If you're only interested in them from a painting aspect, look elsewhere.
- It's in their title. They do design. If their painting looks generic or uninspiring to you, that's probably because it is, because that's not what they're focusing on.

To make my point more clear, here's the complete opposite scenario with design being the excluded factor, and in a more practical sense:

Imagine if I looked at the material for a class teaching carpentry, and complained that they don't have good design. That they need better interior design.

I would look like a fucking idiot, because interior design is not what they're focusing on teaching people.
>>
>>2404793
I feel the same way about them as you OP, but I still watch them sometimes. He has some nuggets of wisdom in there.
>>
In the end the fzd school isn't even that much. It's all fun bucks you need to live in Singapore. Fzd is a far better deal than art center if you want to do ca.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.