[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys! Today I've been thinking about and looking through
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
Hey guys! Today I've been thinking about and looking through stuff about animation. And it got me looking at how major studios in the US has basically abandoned 2D in favour of 3D (in films, at least). Now, I've heard of how 3D is cheaper and less stressful to produce, which is why major companies have moved towards it, but I think that in comparison to 3D, 2D can achieve much more beautiful animations and capture fantastical imagery more successfully. I believe there can be much more deviation in how a scene can be animated in 2D- whether it be in the style or colour or composition- which will still achieve great results than it would be in 3D. I've also noticed there is a certain cartoonish style that you have to stick with in 3D, lest it fall into the uncanny valley. (Maybe that's just because of how young the industry is though, perhaps we'll see different styles appear in the future).

So what do you guys think? Do you prefer 2D or 3D animations?

Also, please no fighting. This is not a debate on which is superior, I'm just curious about everyone's opinions.
>>
>>2403998

Ofc this board would be biased towards 2D animation why make this thread, moron?
>>
2D is superior

3DPD go die
>>
The reason to go with 2D animation shouldn't be because it's 'better', but rather that it's what you want to do.
>>
3d isn't cheaper, I'm not sure who told you that. I've seen 2d and 3d studios and 2d has far fewer employees and produce same amount of shows. On top of that 3d work requries higher wages usually.

personally I like both 2d and 3d, I think the 2d process allows for a lot more inventivness though, in 3d your animations is limited by the character rigging, in 2d you can draw whatever you want so there's more freedom.
>>
>>2405304
>in 2d you can draw whatever you want so there's more freedom.
This is its real strength.

The "which is better" argument is really dumb in my opinion. They both have strengths and should exist in parallel. The vast lack of good 2D being produced is a shame though.
>>
>>2403998

TL;DR version: I like 2D but I know the importance of 3D, I would pick 2D over 3D anyday because I find it both more appealing and more expressive.

Long version:
2D has been dropped by all hollywood studios because it is way easier to achieve the results you look for in 3d, is all up to making your model, terxturing and rigging, once you got that you're pretty much done.Where as in 2d even if you're a fucking genius it will take you roughs, lines, colors and full render to actually complete your scene, you can't even recycle shit without getting called out.
I personally feel that 2d has more appeal to it, as you can't just simulate your animations via physics and pre-programmed algorythms, even if you can emulate 2d via 3d (paperman or even some anime do this) you will still be able to tell it's 3d because of how perfect and fixed everything is, so I would personally say 3d lacks a soul.
I personally think that 3d should only be used as a tool (in the movie and tv industry only, videogames are fine as it is), as everything we see ages really quickly and productors tend to relay on it way too much (practical effects being basically extinct by now and the lazy animations they tend to make for tv using downgraded models), I wouldn't really mind if they only used 3d as reference to create their keyframes (disney used to do something similar with real life models). as of this moment I personally feel 2d is far superior than 3d and feel sad whenever I look at movies, then look at their concept art and find out it is far more interesting than some uncanny valley pixar/pixar wannabe humans.
>>
3d is more expensive to animate/rig but once you do it once you can reuse that rig for a long time (entirety of show).

With a 2d rig you will often have multi versions of said rig for different things (for things like lightning/color swaps/etc aren't as simple depending on what you're trying to do). 2d is also still faster to sketch out/animatic and get a sense of the movement, so its why storyboarding will be done in 2d for a long time to come (if ever replaced, as is just the nature of animation).
>>
>>2405385
>2d rig
Only puppet rigged animation is 2d animation with rigs and it looks horrible otherwise every movement is drawn.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.