[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Art bullshit thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1392661896248.jpg (139 KB, 600x404) Image search: [Google]
1392661896248.jpg
139 KB, 600x404
I was in a comic shop the other day, and noticed that I drew better than half the artists on the shelf. The one that stuck out to me the most was an adventure time comic, as simple as that shit is the guy could not draw to save his fucking life.
Not sure if I should feel good about that, or disappointed that I didn't get a job doing comics.

Feel free to post any of your experiences with bullshit in art.
>>
hey nice meme
>>
>>2402076
I think your problem is you're comparing fine arts to cartoons. Naturally one technically takes more skill to produce but without seeing the artists's full capabilities you can't accurately say you're better. You should also post your work anytime you make that kinda claim.
>>
>>2402076
You have Dunning-Kruger's syndrome.
>>
>>2402086

In general comic book artists are better at drawing things from imagination and fine artists are better at getting a likeness in a life drawing. I'd say comic book artists have a wider and more impressive range of skills than fine artists on the whole.
>>
>>2402076
I feel that way a lot of the time, too, as a comic artist. The thing that you have to keep in mind is that comic artists usually have very strict deadlines and often have to do a lot of revisions from each stage (pencils, inks, colors) that also cut into the deadline time. That's not even mentioning if they get sick or if major life events/work events get in the way of time.

Assuming the comic you picked up is by Boom Studios, the likelihood of that artist getting stiffed on work time and pay is very high (I speak from experience). Chances are the artist had to take a lot of shortcuts to finish the book on time. Not every artist can afford the time to make every single panel a perfect drawing, and comics are more about telling a story with clarity anyway.
>>
>>2402152
I've heard some shady shit about boom studios. can you elaborate on your experience? was it worth it?
>>
>>2402122
>I'd say comic book artists have a wider and more impressive range of skills than fine artists on the whole.

that is the dumbest generalisation in the history of /ic/
>>
>>2402153
I liked working with Boom Studios, and I will continue working with them because the editors have never treated me rudely or disrespectfully, and in all honesty working with them is a great way to get your name out there and to get your art on the radar in the industry.

That being said, Boom has a severe issue with payment and workload. Their contracts tell you that you will be paid within 30 days after you turn in your final pieces, yet I and others have had to wait over a month to nearly half a year to receive payment for some pieces, and that's after sending multiple emails. The page rates can be surprisingly low. I've heard of people getting $10 a page for colors, and $50 a page for pencils and lineart. I was lucky to get $80 a page for pencils and lineart when I broke in, but even that's harsh considering how long it takes to complete a page.

A friend of mine was recently offered a coloring job, $25 a page for 10 "simple pages" (their words). They ended up lying about the page count and complexity of the pages, and doubling the amount of work the artist had to do. I'm sure anyone would be okay with that if they had just been honest up front, but for some reason they just weren't.
>>
>>2402153
I'm not the person you're asking, but I also did some work for Boom; my experience is that they pick up a lot of newbie young artists who do a lot of fanart, so when they flash "Adventure Time Cover" in front of their face they're pee-their-pants excited and are willing to take the low pay (a couple hundred for a cover, around a hundred for a full color comic page) just to get to work on a famous property (I was one of these young artists so I'm not judging, it feels real cool to see your work on a cover in a comic shop). Depending on the property you may or may not have to make a ton of changes with no additional pay (Adventure Time guys were pretty cool usually, but others were too picky to please). Then at the end, they own the art completely, so you can't sell prints of it or anything, and you don't get royalties from the books. It seems like they target young artists and rotate their artists a lot as they burn out or catch on to the fact they should be getting paid better. Like I said earlier, if you're a fan of the show/comics you're working on, and not trying to do it as a living, it's not bad work, it feels worthwhile, you have some fun. But it would be impossible to make a living on comics if you're getting paid those rates. And unfortunately when you realize you're not getting paid enough, they have a dozen other baby artists waiting eagerly to take your place. So the rates are just gonna stay that low because why would they pay you more unless you own a copyright or something.

Anyway, that's my experience on it.
>>
>>2402176
Yes, exactly, all of this. A friend of mine asked for a pay raise on their garbage coloring rates after consistently working for them for YEARS and they scolded her. It's nonsensical, but, like you said, they've got tons of young artists to choose from. It's so strange because a lot of industry folk I've talked to said they're losing money, and yet they keep hiring all these different artists. Not sure why they wouldn't just keep hiring the same consistent ones and pay them more rather than continue to work with a mixed bag of amateur creators.
>>
>>2402076
I cannot stand faggots like you. You look at something and without any context at all you instantly judge it. You're so fucking retarded that you can't even stop to think for at least a minute to realize why the art looks the way it does.

I bet you think you are better than the majority of concept art artists as well.
>>
>>2402167
>>2402176
thanks for answering, guys. what you said pretty much aligns with what I've heard from other sources, but it's interesting nonetheless to get insider perspectives about these sorts of things.
>>
>>2402076
pyw
>>
>>2402076
>Not sure if I should feel good about that, or disappointed that I didn't get a job doing comics.

You should feel disappointed because you almost certainly suffer from Dunning Kruger Syndrome. Comic book publishers don't just reject highly skilled individuals that are better than 99% of their own talent just to spite them. The reason why you didn't get a job doing comics, but these "inferior" artists did is because you are objectively worse than they are.
>>
>>2402076
You have fagguning fagger syndrome
>>
>>2402489
Eh. Some people on major books are real garbage, especially in all-ages comics. No idea what the appeal is for some of the art. They really do hire any old loser off tumblr sometimes.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.