[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Expression vs technicality
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (172 KB, 650x548) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
172 KB, 650x548
What is the compromise point between the two? Some pieces will be cozy yet people will shit on it while others seem almost bland and lifeless but people exult the "line work"
>pic related, dem brush strokes
>>
pic related is your answer
>>
pic related is your answer
>>
A true master is neither, both, and beyond those all at once.
>>
canadians are weird
>>
there is no compromise between too. infact I would say they are mutually inclusive
>>
>>2402499
The question is about the effect
>>
>>2402499
>there is no compromise between too. infact I would say they are mutually inclusive
This. Technical skill *is* the ability to express.

>>2402710
The effect of what? Some people simply will not hear what one has to say with a piece, so all they have to critique is the technicality of a piece. Some pieces lack technical skill so all people have to critique is the expression. You cannot extract mutual exclusion between the two from this. (you can, but you'd be wrong.
>>
>>2402727
The question of whether having the effect of expression or of technique to be the dominant intended impression. I don't think anyone is talking about works that require no skill.

In any case, I'm of the opinion that paintings like OP's rely on their own proper technique (not to say that it has more technical value) as much or more than one that doesn't do with that bravura of brush strokes that painters do to be "expressive" assuming that the skill levels are the same because although they, the painters of this incomplete bravura style, aim at relieving their work of what they fear as cold and accurate technicality they nonetheless by this very act make the technique (way of doing) an immediate impression. The viewer may not consciously think on this but it's essential to the response. I say it completely lacks decorum.

One could make various statements that make OP's question unanswerable, as I had just done, but it's clear we do see distinctions between Dutch still lives and the school of Sargent, though no one says that the one lacks expression and the other lacks technique.
>>
>>2402032
Technical art is not good in and of itself. Accuracy gives an effect which can help the purpose of your art, even if that purpose is something like immersion. Think about the impact you want your picture to have and then decide what style will carry that impact best
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.