[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do so many artists draw their characters with red nose now?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 13
Why do so many artists draw their characters with red nose now? I mean, portraits have always had red noses with subtle blending to not stick out and cartoon characters have had red noses from time to time (Bert & Ernie, Billy & Mandy, Seven Dwarves) but now it's like everyone and their grandmother makes their character look like they have a cold.

Why? What started this phenomenon?
>>
It's a fad/trend.

Same reason people had that whole mustache craze, a few people did it well and it looked good so everyone started to emulate it. It's difficult to pinpoint exactly who popularized it, or if it even was an individual.
>>
>>2401056
this is really getting out of hand
>>
male artists vehemently pretending to not understand the trend is probably the most embarrassing part of the trend.

red nose = cold
cold = cozy
red nose = cozy

it's not fucking rocket science.
>>
>>2401056
it always makes me think of rudolph and as a black trans jew it triggers me
>>
>>2401100
red nose = cold
cold = headache
headache = painful
painful = bad art
>>
File: dog poo.jpg (493 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
dog poo.jpg
493 KB, 2000x1000
>>2401056
Can't remember the artists name, but it was popularised by a guy who drew russian characters in the snow a lot, so red nose and cheeks made sense. The reason so many people do it is because they don't know how to use colour properly so they take the safe (lazy) bet of throwing down a bit of red for the sake of variety instead of spending an hour learning how how skin reacts to light and colour
>>
>>2401056
Why do you give a dick? Besides I bet you there are more artists that don't color their noses red, you're just subconsciously singling out the ones that you find that use that technique because you have a hate boner for it
>>
>>2401115
well, they do stick out like a sore thumb
>>
Because ringling
>>
Trendy stylization of the nose.

There's really nothing wrong with it.
>>
File: 1416619873289.jpg (75 KB, 500x741) Image search: [Google]
1416619873289.jpg
75 KB, 500x741
>>2401118
>>2401115
>>
File: 1454356000252.png (367 KB, 510x583) Image search: [Google]
1454356000252.png
367 KB, 510x583
>>2401213
>There's really nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>2401215
ugly and proud
>>
File: 440pumukli[1].gif (23 KB, 440x283) Image search: [Google]
440pumukli[1].gif
23 KB, 440x283
>>2401056
I found it cute for a long time, like how this is cute, but they are starting to overdo it and it gets grotesque.
>>
>>2401221
>>
File: 1310428349083_0.png (194 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1310428349083_0.png
194 KB, 500x333
>>2401207
>a bunch of faggots propped up to spell the word faggot by some art school faggot
>>
>>2401107

These aren't my personal opinions. When I think of a red nose I think of alcoholism, not an attractive thing. I don't like red noses. This is based on market research. Enough people perceive (whether they're correct or not doesn't matter) red noses to be "cute", and associate it with "cold" and "cozy" thus it's in the interest of an artist to give their characters red noses because more people will want to look at it.

This isn't about what is "objectively" true or not, it's about what people want, based on what they (correctly or incorrectly) perceive to be true.
>>
>>2401217
those hands...
>>
>>2401292

To add to this, it's important to remember that artists are providing a service for people with views that may be different from their own. It's in your best interest as an artist to know what other people want as to provide them the best possible service.

Thus, red noses. When people spot something that is popular and with minimal dissent, they jump on it and try to capitalize on the popularity. I'm sure the first people who made the noses of their characters a red tint were just doing it to characters who were in colder settings, as you would expect to find a red nose. Eventually, somewhere along the line of copiers (like in the telephone game), someone left out the cold setting, and just gave the character a red nose. For whatever reason, it is still popular, but obviously, when you take it out of its original context, it makes less sense, and people will complain (this thread, and the dozens of others on /ic/ over the past couple years).

People instinctively aim to do the least amount of work while making the most amount of money. If you can draw a character without a winter background, and get 5k more pageviews and 10 more $300 commissions if you give it a red nose, you're going to give it a red nose without the winter background, regardless of the image "making sense" or not. Obviously, you can argue this is "wrong" or "bad" or that you "shouldn't" do it, but that doesn't mean that people don't or inevitably will do it. You're just fighting against human nature at that point, which is utterly futile.
>>
>>2401320
>making money because the nose is red.
Why not draw a blue nose?
>>
>>2402277
>hurr red nose is so randumb! stupid dumblr!!!

You didn't read anything I said, did you?. Red nose began in the context of winter scenes, where it would be found in nature, from direct observation. A "cute" character, could be male or female, would be in a cold climate, and had blushed cheeks and a red nose from the cold outside, blood rushing to their cheeks and nose. People began taking those characters out of the context of cold scenes, but left the red nose, because it reminded people of the "cozy" feeling you get when you come in from the cold. Those people who were originally taking it out of the context were knowingly using the association to their advantage. Since then, it has been misappropriated so many times that now, people do not even know what the original context was, and don't question why the nose is red, they just know it's popular and copy it. Do you want me to explain herd mentality too?
>>
File: crackychan.jpg (55 KB, 624x832) Image search: [Google]
crackychan.jpg
55 KB, 624x832
the proto-tumlr
>>
I always thought red nose,ears was to show bloodflow, every artist I know uses a pink or red on those parts
>>
Because tumblr.

A red-sunkissed nose is fucking adorable but it's become some sort of statement that no nose can be too red. Now they look like a bunch of swollen knobs that are ready to burst, but you WILL like it. Beautiful is ugly and ugly is beautiful!

This is what the nihilist dumbfucks would have you believe.
>>
File: 1408058103179.jpg (67 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1408058103179.jpg
67 KB, 500x500
>>2401056
It's easier to draw a red nose. You don't have to worry about value structure in relation to surrounding skin tone if it's just a separate color.
>>
You guys are all so obsessed with this trend that is already dead. Yes, a couple years back, Illustrators were doing this a lot, but the trend came and went. Anyone that is doing it now is really late to the party or they're the ones that were doing it "before it was cool" and will keep doing it because that's what they do. It originates from the fact that noses are typically more red. If you paint from life, you know this, as are ears and other areas of cartilage where you can see the blood beneath the flesh. This is just an overly dramatic representation of that, if you're an illustrator, it's what you typically do - emphasize certain aspects of features unrealistically, otherwise, why not just take a photo? So yeah, WAS a trend, stop obsessing over it, you guys just look for shit to hate instead of working on your own art and trying to improve yourselves.
>>
File: uwu.jpg (19 KB, 236x542) Image search: [Google]
uwu.jpg
19 KB, 236x542
>>2401056
I've always seen young artists do something weird with the nose, like lines or a circle for the highlight. I think since tumblr latches onto to trends, it becomes an epidemic. It happened with object heads and flower crowns.
>>
>>2401112
You are thinking of Phobs. They were/are very popular and at a time those characteristic red noses were a novelty (as was the general art style employed). Popularity breeds imitators.
>>
File: CD7vztrUsAARS2C.jpg (8 KB, 143x177) Image search: [Google]
CD7vztrUsAARS2C.jpg
8 KB, 143x177
>>2403374
this.

can we stop having these threads now
>>
>>2401100
>cold = cozy
wut?
>>
>>2404626
>co·zy
ˈkōzē/Submit
adjective
giving a feeling of comfort, warmth, and relaxation.
"a cozy cabin tucked away in the trees"
synonyms: snug, comfortable, warm, homelike, homey, homely, welcoming; More
noun
a cover to keep a teapot hot.
verbinformal
give (someone) a feeling of comfort or complacency.
"she cozied him, pretending to find him irresistibly attractive"

When you're outside in the cold, and you come inside, you get a red nose from the sudden change in temperature. This effect is a "cozy" effect. cold = cozy wasn't a mathematically precise definition or equation, I was just connecting the two ideas to demonstrate why red noses are popular.

And again, in case you didn't read the last three posts, I don't like red noses. I think it looks stupid. I'm just explaining the popularity since people don't seem to understand it (they do, but they'd rather be deceitful than honest).
>>
>>2402377
> posts a shitty Raggedy Ann cosplay
> blur de blurgh tumblr rednose conspiracy

Take a knee, anon.
>>
I don't fucking know/ care.

As long as I am free to NOT do that. Let the "trendy artsy" fuckers rot in their own delusional hell.

Maybe, one day, they will realize how fucking ugly are their drawings for people with a little common sense and will do their shit right.

>As long it's not muh style (speaking of myself) they can eat shit and die.
>>
>>2403710
Funnily enough his artstyle back then was a close imitation of the W.I.T.C.H. comics (he admitted as much himself).
>>
>>2401056
Was she squeezing her nose for pimples?
>>
Shouldn't you be glad everyone is destroying themselves with this fad?
>>
>>2406635
>not recognising crackychan

Has it really been that long... Where did all the time go...
>>
File: 1452733572894.png (374 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1452733572894.png
374 KB, 512x512
>>2406635
> posts a shitty Raggedy Ann cosplay
>Raggedy Ann cosplay
>>
>>2401217
He looks like someone beat the shit out of him.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.