[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best way to gain followers on Instagram or Tumblr?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4
File: instagram-logo.jpg (88 KB, 1600x862) Image search: [Google]
instagram-logo.jpg
88 KB, 1600x862
What's the best way to gain followers on Instagram or Tumblr?
>>
>>2394850

have you not been paying attention? pretty girls all day every day.
>>
>>2394850
Hashtag/Tag your shit.

Update for at least every two days even just a decent sketch.
>>
File: gundampunch.png (652 KB, 1038x851) Image search: [Google]
gundampunch.png
652 KB, 1038x851
>>2394850
PANDER TO POPULAR FANDOMS OR QTs F-A-M
>>
>>2394850
By killing yourself on a livestream
>>
Fanart.
>>
>>2395048
really its this. i draw total shit but people see it. people can't find it without you tagging it and toss in generic tags like #art and #pencil or what ever media you use.

Also catering to people if you want also does the trick but its all for nothing if you don't abuse the hashtag system.
>>
>>2395067
It seems like the fastest way.
>>
>>2395067
IMO fanart is a must if you want to git famous. Nobody cares about your OC, really, unless they like your art. But how are they gonna find your art to like it in the first place?
Draw fanart, tag the shit out of it with any kind of related word. It should be thousand times easier than your OC because simply "#(anime title)" is going to attract way more people than any other tag.
>>
>>2395200

any tips on how hashtags work? I'd imagine if i just use #art my post will get immediately burrowed by one million following posts with that hashtag, right? how many hashtags can i add? does instagram punish people for adding 20 hasthags?

can i just make a block of 50 hashtags and copy paste those into every post i make?

gotta go full /biz/ on this shit, else what's the point.
>>
>>2395232
Yeah, is there a limit to how many hashtags you can use?
>>
>>2394850
Drop on your knees and suck fandom dick. It's the only way.
>>
>>2394850
Appeal to the shallowest people on the planet: women.
>>
>>2395493
>>2395232

general étiquette is that any more than 3 comes off as needy
>>
>>2394850
Take pics of you sucking dick.
>>
>>2395232
there are certain hashtags that get you more exposure, like on twitter you might use #sketchdailies if you follow the prompt for the day. if it's october, use inktober. if you're drawing fan art, tag that shit. cute? spooky? use at least one hashtag to describe your art, then add 1 or 2 general tags, like drawing, art, pencil, artistsontumblr/instagram etc.

and make sure your art stands out to people who are not artists. the general population doesn't give 2 shits about technique. make sure your art communicates something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxYCBAbe4cc&feature=share
>>
I've been on instagram a long time now, and I was never really famous just a decent amount of followers but, yeah be ready to sell out to fandoms and women. Bonus if you have a decent to cute face/body, just be ready to "flirt" with people you dont like and be ready to lose followers if you ever pursue a relationship. It gets pretty fucking shallow m8. Good luck to you though
>>
>>2395544

'a lot of times when people look at art they go

mucho likes = wow that is really good

no likes = meh'

fucking plebs this is the problem with the exposure problem.
>>
>>2394850
>>2395056
>>2395496
this.

Fanart = popularity, but remember that if your art is shit, no one cares.
>>
>>2394850
have you tried being a pretty girl yet?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
>>2395585
>'a lot of times when people look at art they go
>mucho likes = wow that is really good
>no likes = meh'
>fucking plebs this is the problem with the exposure problem
I agree.
My tumblr is shit with little to none of likes. So im not popular on tumblr (i get 5-10 likes)
But on sites like behance twitter or deviantart i get tons of likes and lots of stuff happening.
I keep thinking that tumblr plebs just see my page and see that im not very popular/social and close it without caring about art.

While same tier of people see my other pages and JOIN THE PARTY XDDD when they see i posted something and it started to be "fun" with comments and likes.

Fuck this retarded crap
>>
Do you guys really want to be worshipped by paesants?
>>
i'm a girl, and it doesn't work at all :((
>>
>>2398082
having a lot of followers on social media is a good step to getting commissions and therefore dosh
>>
>>2398563
Do you post selfies?
>>
>>2395535
This is not true, at all. No one give a shit. The golden rule of social media is to remember that you're not important, and that no one cares who you are.

Load up your hashtags and copy/paste them into the first comment on your post. You can post 30 per post, and you should use them all.

Don't hold yourself back because you think some person somewhere thinks you're "needy".
>>
>>2398596
But doesn't that limits you to commissions from paesants? I mean if thats all you want to do then it's fine i guess
>>
depends on what are your goal:

>I just want to be popular:
Like everyone said, do fanart, post often, engage with people as to seem like a sociable person, abuse hashtags, whore/spam your shit in as many social networks as possible. Plebs are easy to please.

>I want respect from my peers
Post good work, network with them pros, post fucking awesome work. Trickier than the just popular one but the payoff is much better and in the long run if your actually manage to get some pros sharing your stuff the fans will be rolling in. You'll also be getting your foot in the industry instead of drawing some 15 years old OC for 40$
>>
Taking this opportunity to shill

http://yellowmatsumoto.deviantart.com

http://yellowmatsumoto.tumblr.com

http://redmatsumoto.tumblr.com
>>
Consistency and hashtags are a must

If fame is all you care about, then do fanart, just know you are a plebian.
>>
>>2398730
>You'll also be getting your foot in the industry instead of drawing some 15 years old OC for 40$
this is what happening to me after 8 years. I was so depressive because i wasnt interested in fanarts and furries/cute girls. But im working with indie devs and regular devs now and with other people and getting money + popularity just because i do better work.
Still never NEVER got ANY comission on Deviantart thought....for fucks sake. It was making me so mad back then. But for now i dont care.
>>
>>2398977
That's a whole new level of shameless
>>
where are you all in terms of gaining a following?
what the story to how you got there?
where do you hope be by years end?
>>
>>2399913
Been on tumblr since 2012 and I have 2 art blogs with about 8k followers each. I just posted whatever I felt like and never stuck to one particular subject/style for too long.
>>
>>2394881
Just curious, how well do cute/hot guys do compared to girls?
>>
>>2404061
tumblr is full of gays and girls so what do you think?
>>
>>2397907
your current follower base just isn't on tumblr, lol, that's all it is, i actually reblog the shit outta artists if they don't have any notes, i'll crawl that fuckin blog and reblog every single piece i think looks good
>>
>>2399913
8.5K on Tumblr
2.8K on Instagram,

These are the only main two I upkeep.

Cater your post to the platform and audience:

For Tumblr, make photosets and include GIFS. People love GIFs, and photosets can make a one-off illustration take up more space on a feed.
Hashtags - only the first 5 matter, so make them count.

For Instagram, I bought an Epson printer and I make nice art prints of my work, and then post photographs of those prints. In my experience, Instagram loves physical work more than digital.
Hashtags - you can post 30 per post, and you should use them all. They don't have to be in the caption; they can be in a comment that you immediately add after you post it. This way the hashtags do their work while they get quickly hidden by inevitable comments.

Always remember that no one cares who you are or what you do. No one is judging you, so don't let that hold you back.
>>
>>2398690
dont people only see the first 4 tags?
>>
Any traditional painters want to talk about this?
There are tags like 'artistsofinstagram' which still feel applicable but I can't exactly do fanart.

I mean I could, but whilst that flies for an illustrator for a painter that loses you some srs fine art cred.

I see instagram really loves paintings photographed next to the brushes, and paintings of eyes. But painting just eyes is so pathetic.
>>
>>2398730
I think it's a combination of both; Your art has to be somewhat good to be noticed. People tend to avoid POS work like the plague (fanart or not), I know from experience.

>>2406704
I think it's just the tags that're most frequently searched.
>>
>>2396254
It doesn't have to be good at all.

It needs to be Clean, Colorful and Cute.
>>
>>2403004
>>2404095
this is great insight

more stories d/ic/ks
>>
>>2406982
>I think it's a combination of both; Your art has to be somewhat good to be noticed. People tend to avoid POS work like the plague (fanart or not), I know from experience.

Well of course that you need to be at the very least decent, your mspaint doodle won't cut it. that goes without saying.
But taking as an example Sakimichan, she's incredibly popular amongst the plebs due to her constant fanart pandering shit but hardly mentioned or promoted by people working inside the industry. If it weren't for /ic/'s constant shitposting about her I would probably never have heard of her despite being in the industry for quite some time.
>>
>>2406704
Tumblr: Only the first 5 hashtags show up in Tumblr searches. All other hashtags after the first five won't show up. Make the first 5 count by hitting major search terms. Tip: avoid the obvious (art, illustration, etc) and focus on subject matter and colors. Color hashtags can really work great.

Instagram: As noted here >>2404095 , you can post up to 30 hashtags on Instagram and they will all show up in tag searches. You have much more to gain than lose by using all 30 hashtags.

>>2409876
Thanks! Glad I can help.

>>2406740
Painting eyes is one of the biggest cliches in art. You don't have to make fan art. I suggest you find some very successful painters and look at what they did throughout their post history. Emulate their techniques, copy the hashtags they used at the beginning, take note of how they photograph their work, etc.

You don't have to blindly jump into social media. Study what works from those who are successful and carefully start implement those techniques into your own posting.
>>
Use tags
follow fellow artists you like
like other peoples content
update every few days
atleast be decent at digital
do some fanart next to your oc
>>
>>2410264
>subject matter and colors
>colors
Sorry I'm not smart, what do you mean by colors? Like the mood?
>>
>>2394850

Why even try to gain followers/ become popular?

Unless your wanting to do a patron or kick starter its mostly a waste of time.

Your far better off using that time to study or develop meaningful connections with other artists.
>>
>>2411383

I think he just means if you draw blue ocean waves hashtag it #blue - because people will search particular color hashtags to find stuff that will look good / match on their blog.
>>
>>2411587
fuck why didn't I think of that
>>
For anime digital drawings/fanarts, whould I rather make a tumblr, instagram or artstation account? Knowing I already have a Pixiv/DA/Twitter.
>>
which site is better to gather a loyal fanbase? pick between dA, tumblr, Facebook and Instagram.
>>
>>2412936
seconding this question
>>
>>2413493
>>2412936
in my limited experience, i'd say instagram. i'm on all except Facebook (also on twitter) and instagram and twitter seem to be the best combination, getting the most attention and followers per drawing
>>
>>2412936
>>2413493

Between both Instagram and Tumblr:

Tumblr is easier to grow. Hashtags can get you a much further reach and the process of people reblogging your stuff can easily lead to hundreds of new followers instantly. You can also submit your work to other relevant Tumblrs via a submission page.

Instagram - while harder to grow - can often cultivate more "loyal" fans. I think this is mostly due to the commenting system, which is much better than Tumblr. Directly interacting with people is easier to do via Instagram, and that is key to making someone feel special.

I don't have any dA experience. Facebook stunts the reach of your posts so that they won't appear in everyone's feed, unless you pay for "extended reach". It is completely bullshit and something that is not present on other major social media sites.

Pick two at a time and focus on those. I recommend Tumblr and Instagram.

Hope that helps!
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.