[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gesture and perspective
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: 1441589208084.jpg (146 KB, 580x862) Image search: [Google]
1441589208084.jpg
146 KB, 580x862
So I'm really confused on how to combine gesture and perspective. Does anyone have any tips they could share? How do you keep a pose fluid and dynamic while still conforming to the perspective that you set?
>>
>>2390869
post some of your gestures so we can see what you are doing wrong and give you specific advice. Otherwise people can only give you really basic advice like study up on perspective and more Loomis, which everyone hates to hear.
>>
File: Gesture Perspective.png (327 KB, 1500x1422) Image search: [Google]
Gesture Perspective.png
327 KB, 1500x1422
>>2390907
Okay. Here's an example of what I've been doing. I just want to know if I'm doing this shit right.
>>
>>2390869

Look up the basic Vilppu exercises of combining boxes and spheres, they are online for free somewhere.
>>
>>2391085
Alright. I'll take a look, thanks.
>>
File: KChvfj5.jpg (94 KB, 700x1680) Image search: [Google]
KChvfj5.jpg
94 KB, 700x1680
>>2390869
Here, maybe this will help
>>
>>2391122
Actually, yeah. Thanks a ton.
>>
File: rl1 copy.jpg (277 KB, 1300x1232) Image search: [Google]
rl1 copy.jpg
277 KB, 1300x1232
>>2391043
You're trying to think in 3D space, so that's already good, but your foreshortening is really off. Stretch out your arm in front of a mirror. The foreshortening our eyes see in real life is far less extreme than what you were trying to do here. My guess is you were going for this camera lense distortion thing you see in lots of photographs and illustrations with very dynamic perspective, but even then, the camera needs to be almost directly in front of the foreshortened limb for the hand to be perceived as this big. Your stationary points are not in the right positions to create this type of extreme foreshortening with these figures.

Also one more thing. When you put your figures in boxes, try to align them with the pelvis of the figure. The box isn't just drawn for decoration, but is supposed to help you find the ground plane. The pelvis (and ribcage) when drawn in perspective has vanishing points The box is supposed to help you figure them out. If you don't align the figure with the box, like in your drawing on the right, it's useless for figuring out the perspective.
>>
>>2391172
nice
>>
>>2391172
this is a really nice tutorial. I feel like you are a good teacher, can you do more?
>>
>>2391172

By align the box with the pelvis you mean simplify the pelvis into a box and align the perspective guide with the pelvis-box's horizontal lines right?
>>
>>2391172
Other anon here. Got two problems concerning this stuff for quite some time now and since it seems like you know your stuff i think im gonna ask:

1. I can put a figure standing straight in perspective decently. But as soon as the weight shifts and ribcage and pellvis get pushed like in here >>2391122 I cant really put them in perspective anymore since i cant allign them to the vp. I always try to guess but it often comes out looking funky.

2. When using boxes to put figures in perspective I know how to determine the height of the box, but i really cant figure out how to determine the width.

Hope you, or someone else is able to help me here.
>>
>>2394042
Bumping so this thread doesnt get deleted by the next "what Tablet should i get" thread
>>
>>2391320
Thanks, it's not much of a tutorial though. I'm not very good at explaining this stuff.

>>2391334
yes, exactly. Also, the anon below your post reminded me that I forgot to mention this only works if the pelvis is symmetric and not tilted. If you'd align the vanishing ponts to a titled pelvis, the entire perspective would change.

>>2394042
Yeah when the pelvis or ribcage is titled at an angle where it doesn't line up with the ground plane you pretty much have to estimate and eyeball the foreshortening. I can't really think of any easy way to explain how to do this, you have to be conscious of the horizon line and then understand how each volume of the figure sits in 3d space in relation to the horizon line and foreshorten it accordingly. If you post some asymmetric poses you're having trouble with I could try to show you visually.
>>
File: 2016-02-13 19.25.43.jpg (658 KB, 800x1421) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-13 19.25.43.jpg
658 KB, 800x1421
>>2395697
Here is something i drew quickly. I dont know i try to get a balanced Pose and as a gestute it looks fine but as soon as i try to add perspective it becomes so wonky.

The closer leg is supposed to be the weight baring leg.
>>
File: rl2 copy.jpg (190 KB, 795x1000) Image search: [Google]
rl2 copy.jpg
190 KB, 795x1000
>>2395802
>>2394042

Not quite sure what you were going for with that pose, but if you want to go for a typical contrapposto pose where the pelvis is being pushed up on the side of the weightbearing leg and the weightbearing leg is closest, you need to keep in mind that the leg that is receding in perspective will often be at a slightly lower position. even when it's foreshortened. Unless it is stretched out far enough that it nullifies the higher hip angle on the weight bearing leg. (see the 2 sketches on the lower left).

It helps to draw a simple frontal view sketch and check the angles between the hips, knees and ankles when you are having trouble with a pose and then figure out how these frontal view angles would foreshorten in perspective.
>>
>>2390869
bump
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.