[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lost but Seeking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_0098[1].jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0098[1].jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Hey, /ic/.
I still consider myself to be a beginner and I've started reading Loomis, off and on, about eight months ago.

I've been struggling with where to actually start. I've checked out Proko and find is material to be very
entertaining as well as educational, but it doesn't really give me a guideline on where I should be/go in the future.

I want to do this the most efficient way possible, but what should I study? Perspective? Anatomy?

I'm lost and hopefully someone can give me an idea.
>>
>>2356700
I Apologize for the flipped image.
>>
>>2356700
the problem with art schools is that they never teach pespective until late on.

You should study perspective/anatomy for construction drawing and draw from life/references at the time.

Practice drawing few hundred individual features and simple poses. (some feet, hands, heads, eyes...) focus on doing consistent/ symmetrical
drawings.
You can go just fine without knowing color theory/compsition at this time.
>>
>>2356700
Draw with loomis or Hampton?
>>
>>2356715
I have a vast array of books to choose from (Thanks to /ic/) and I have a lot on perspective, the most prominent one I see referenced is Perspective Made Easy.
Is that something I should check out or is just another mediocre read? I've also been on Pixellovely and studying poses from there.
Should I continue to read Loomis or is there somewhere else I can start?
>>
>>2356744
Continue Loomis
>>
File: tumblr_ln4o11HgfP1qc9mxo.png (45 KB, 500x461) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ln4o11HgfP1qc9mxo.png
45 KB, 500x461
Not OP but I'm feeling the same way. I did loomis FWAP drew all the funny faces and figures and even made some of my own and I started doing keys to drawing and drawing on the right side of the brain and that was telling me about "seeing" so I started drawing from life and that seemed to discard everything I was learning in loomis about construction. I also suck at drawing forms and I've seen threads tell me to grind and focus on form in order to get gud at constructions. Idk I feel lost. I don't know what to grind or focus on. I just want somebody to tell me what to do to get good.

Like draw x and y 20 times one day and draw x, y and z 20 times the next day.

Can I find something like this?
>>
>>2357372
>I don't know what to grind or focus on. I just want somebody to tell me what to do to get good.
do you have an artistic goal? as in: make a comic book, sculpt monsters, paint a mural, etc? if you don't have any sort of goal or passion to create, all the books in the world won't help you.
>>
>>2357426
my goal is to be able to create worlds and characters from my brain. Also I want to be able to draw anybody naked for personal reasons :^)
>>
>>2357372
Art is like a fractal of difficulty. You see this large, incredibly complex thing, pick a small bit to focus on, zoom in, and grind. As you grind, you realize that there are a million more rich concepts related to it that you have to grind. Have fun!

The other thing is, it's about being well-rounded, so you can't go too deep in one direction for a while without having to go back and grind something else. A holistically well rendered piece is usually much more pleasing than a piece where some of the artists skills are vastly eclipsing some of the other parts.
>>
>>2357372
>grinding mindlessly
that's your problem
>>
>>2357372
I wish I knew you irl.
>>
>>2357583
why?
>>
>>2357636
I never have anyone to compete/learn with. I've always been a loner when it comes to my hobbies.
I feel like if people like us could bounce ideas and thoughts to one another, it could make us better artists over all.
>>
>>2357456
>create worlds and characters from my brain
figure drawing - life and photos
color theory
outdoor sketching

but again if you don't have any particular goal in mind it won't help as you will have nothing to apply your knowledge to.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.