[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how likely am I to become a tattoo artist if I'm 22 years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: Niki-Norberg1.jpg (139 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
Niki-Norberg1.jpg
139 KB, 960x960
how likely am I to become a tattoo artist if I'm 22 years old and I've never tried drawing before?

I mean, not creative drawing, I've tried replicating existing images in the past, the results were satisfying but I've never drawn anything original myself
>>
File: 1452671075292.jpg (1 MB, 1271x7339) Image search: [Google]
1452671075292.jpg
1 MB, 1271x7339
>>2352426
Have you tried this?
>>
>>2352428

I really appreciate the info, I'm gonna save that. But this is not much about learning how to draw, rather, my current situation.
>>
File: fucking barfworthy.gif (2 MB, 295x266) Image search: [Google]
fucking barfworthy.gif
2 MB, 295x266
why is it that faggots always look for validation from others instead of sitting down and putting in the work ?

Idiot, if you want to do it then just do it. Do you really need fucking statistics and be like "Oh well if it's gonna be hard im just gonna go sell burgers at McDonalds". Fucking grow a pair and stop bothering people with your insecure bullshit., or just fuck off to your mother's basement and let her find you a job at her firm for you stacking paper.
>>
>>2352483
/thread
>>
>>2352445
just as a tip, if you are gonna become a tattoo artist, make sure you set up shop in the middle of absolutely nowhere.A friend of mine did it, he aint even that good yet since he is the only tatoo artist around his area he rakes enough money in to sustain himself via young students (ofc within law) and drunkards
>>
>>2352426
Do you actually know anything about tattoos?
agreeing with >>2352515
If you live in a crowded city with a bunch of popular tattoo studios, they're all already going to have loads of people wanting to be an apprentice, they aren't going to take you unless you are already amazing- and if you don't know shit about drawing or hygiene then that will never happen.
However, if there's a shit shop in the middle of nowhere with nobody else competing to work for free, there might be a chance for you to help out there.

Being an apprentice is fucking shit though.
You're better off learning to do everything yourself, get a book, read forums, all that shit. Buy a gun and tattoo sides of pigs and melons. Learn the hygiene stuff, get certified, buy an autoclave and start up.

>As if someone with a shitty thread on /ic/ would even have the motivation to do all that
>>
Bottom line if you have no artistic ability you really have no business being a tattoo artist, its one thing if you can already draw well and want to become an artist, but for most places a requirement for apprenticeship is that you already possess some kind of ability.

That aside from that fact that if your work looks shitty only one type of person will ever want it-- someone whole already is covered in shitty tattoos.

Its hard, it sucks a lot of the time, you make no money at first really, and throughout the entire thing I had to hold down another job constantly.

Tldr; you aren't ready, you need to actually hone your skill before you have any reason to put it on skin.
>>
>>2352483
this tbqh senpai
>>
>>2352543
>a shit shop in the middle of nowhere

Yeah, but you don't wan to apprentice at a shit shop. You're supposed to be learning from a "master" in the craft so you should find someone you aspire to be as an artist, and a shop that is up to date and clean. Not to mention has enough clientele (because if you're not a complete dick you might actually end up working there as an artist) so you want business. You also want to be busy.
>>
>>2352426
>how likely

Well, can't really say unless you actually pick up a pencil and fucking do it.

If you're really serious about it, then be prepared for a long arduous process of learning to art and then learning the craft of tattooing.
>>
File: MTI2NTgyMzIxOTcyMjU5NDU5.jpg (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
MTI2NTgyMzIxOTcyMjU5NDU5.jpg
21 KB, 300x300
>>2352426
Well, Anon i don't know how "noob" you are.
But first you need to be able to copy perfectly, because you're messing with people's money and Skin, you aren't going to be accepted in Tattoo Studios if you're innexpert.
You need to know what exactly a tattoo is, how it does work.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tattoo
You can try with parts of the pig, they're relatively similar to the human skin.
http://tattoo-practice-skin.com/tattoo-practice-skin-pig-skin/
You need to learn the types of Ink and how do them work.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tattoo_ink
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/tattoos-and-piercings/art-20045067
Easiest part (relatively) is to copy tattoos, because is what the people want they can't say "Dude this is shit, i didn't ask for something like this", because they alredy did know what they were going to do.
Other different thing is to do concepts (For this obviously you will need to be extremely good in normal drawing digital or traditional) ,You will need to show people ideas for tattoos, some people will know approximately what they want, but others will go there looking for new things made by a "proffesional artist" because they know that you can do amazing concepts and ideas for them.
>>2352428
This Image is amazing for that, you need to be really REALLY good copying things, i recommend you to read:
http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Right-Side-Brain-Definitive/dp/1585429201
If you're too poor to buy this.
You can get it pirate in torrent or lurking in the web. Obviously you need to PRACTICE so much, if you want to improve fast, you need to practice everyday, copying objects (preferably from real life), because these shapes will be stored in your brain, and you will be able to draw it from memory, you really need to practice so much.
After this you need to learn perspective and construction
http://alexhays.com/loomis/
The choice is yours. You can learn to draw even if you dont't have tattoo machine right now.
>>
>>2352543

This is bullshit m8

I sell supplies to tattoo shops in my city.

Theres a lot of shops, I have 25 clients in a single district (that is not even THAT big) and almost all of them are working at capacity/making a decent amount of profit.

The tattoo business is booming, its getting bigger every day, because now society is more accepting of tattoos (i.e not even half of the companies out there will refuse to hire you because of tattoos), now mix that with the fact that its now super easy, safe and relatively cheap to have tattoos removed, and that old tattoos need to be touched up, and that a lot of people want cover ups done, and that milennials are running around getting their first feather/triforce tattoo AND that 99% of tattoo shops also deal with piercings.

tl;dr its a big industry and its always growing. Also you cant just walk inside a store and ask the guy to take you as an apprentice, my advice op is look for some tattoos that you want and have them done by the same artist of your choosing, speak with the guy while you get it done (you'll be there at least for 3-4 hours), get close to him then eventually ask him if he can take you as an apprentice, maaaybe you'll have to pay, maybe not. depends on how busy/willing the guy is.

>Being an apprentice is fucking shit though.
You're better off learning to do everything yourself, get a book, read forums, all that shit. Buy a gun and tattoo sides of pigs and melons. Learn the hygiene stuff, get certified, buy an autoclave and start up.

And ignore this shit, this is downright bullshit, terrible advice.

if you want to make cool tattoos, you NEED a teacher, a proper teacher, who was trained by a proper teacher, and so on. Theres VERY FEW people who can learn how to make tattoos on their own.

I mean if you want to buy your own equipment before starting just for shits and giggles, be my fucking guest, just dont expect to learn anything on your own.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.