[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I haggle with my doctor's office, with the tv sales guy,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: sad_artist.jpg (168 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
sad_artist.jpg
168 KB, 425x282
I haggle with my doctor's office, with the tv sales guy, at the pawn shop, with the plumber, with the mechanAic, etc.

So why the fuck do artists get so insulted if you try to haggle with them? Are they just little poofters?
>>
Some of us don't live in bumfuck poorsville. Haggling doesn't exist for anyone in the first world.
>>
File: lol OP no.png (20 KB, 383x401) Image search: [Google]
lol OP no.png
20 KB, 383x401
>>
>>2332598

lol you are having a laugh. I haggle the fuck out of the little african fellows selling knockoff shit when I am in nyc
>>
>>2332596
Never in my life have I heard of a fucking plumber or mechanic who would let their customers haggle for the price. Where I live, they look at what you want to have done, give you a cost estimate, then they do it and give you a recipe with all the expenses and the hourly rate of the workers listed so you know exactly how that price came to be. Pretty much like what artists do.

Sales people you can haggle with because they don't sell their time and skill, they sell an already finished product. Same if you want to buy an already finished painting from an artist, you can haggle with them all you want and they will try to haggle with you, that's normal. However if you commission them to do a painting, you either agree to their hourly rate or you don't. Pretty simple concept really.
>>
>>2332596
>I haggle with my doctor's office
Is that normal practice there in Africa?
>>
You're a faggot op; I love shutting entitled kikes like you down.

"no'.

god damn it feels good to watch their expression change from that fake-ass expectant smile to indignity as they realize that they're no better than the other dozen people I'd spoken to that week.
>>
File: 1435966632106.jpg (293 KB, 465x698) Image search: [Google]
1435966632106.jpg
293 KB, 465x698
>>2332596

So you tried to haggle with a artist, he wouldn't budge and now you're here crying like a little bitch?
>>
>>2332601
>usa
>first world
>>
>>2332596
let me guess. Some guy said he wouldn't haggle with you, you didn't respect it and kept being annoying and now when you were finally told to get lost you come crying to the internet where you need to make stories to make yourself look good.
>>
Bait. and you all fell for it.
>>
>>2332711
oh please
>>
we
are
poor
>>
>haggling
>>
>>2332596
Price negotiations are only reasonable in professional service bills when the customers are paying with cash. All retail salespeople, including gallery owners have a small amount of room to negotiate on price, usually up to 10%, beyond which they fail to make a significant profit to continue doing business. My gallerists and I have contracted agreements for this to use at their discretion if it helps a sale. There is a psychological element to pricing and salesmanship. For services, cash negotiations are sometimes advantageous to both parties because credit card services take hefty chunks out of the profit.
Any direct sales by artists, and most especially commissions are not negotiable because you are either already paying their bottom-line charge, you have already agreed upon the terms (we do this, and take 50% upfront because of the high number of scammers we get and our relative lack of financial and legal recourses for deadbeats), annnd established rates/sales records reinforce and legitimize our prices. This is very important and strategic career-wise. It takes many years. We eat a lot of shit, and get stiffed many times before we get decent at pricing and payments.

Here's a guide as to when it's ok to negotiate with an artist:
You're paying cash
You have not signed or otherwise agreed to a commission's price
You are asking for a 10% or less discount
You are a repeat customer
You are paying over $500
>>
>>2332596
i dunno why people think this is bait. I haggle with people all the time.

sometime they think my price is too high, sometimes i think what they offer is too low, etc.

actually ususally if they want to pay me shit, i just do a shit job.
>>
>haggling with doctors

Here's your (you) #324234 because /ic/ is retarded. No, in USA you can't haggle with fucking doctors, nor do you pay in cash. 99% of all "payments" made to doctors are via insurance, which is a scam you pay into monthly and don't haggle with either, you pay the monthly shekels and thank them for the fucking pleasure.
>>
>>2333394
jesus, lurk moar
>>
>>2333398
no, you lurk more, for taking it. if you've got a blog to direct me to perhaps I can offer further guidance
>>
>>2333416
do you have any idea what's happening right now?
>>
>>2333472
yes, bernie is gonna win 2016
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.