[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just fuck my shit up.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 16
http://rlcarter.deviantart.com/

Or be nice. Either way. I'll share some of my art and you can let me know how it makes you feel.
>>
>>
>>
File: bischofs_by_rlcarter-d9fbdrx.png (1 MB, 764x1000) Image search: [Google]
bischofs_by_rlcarter-d9fbdrx.png
1 MB, 764x1000
>>
>>2329262
These are ambitious pieces that are pretty fresh feeling. Good job. That said, your technical skills are really holding you back. Keep doing these types of images, but also I would recommend to start painting from life, studying masters, work on your draftsmanship etc.
>>
I'm on Facebook as The Work of R. L. Carter.
>>
>>2329278
"Technical skills are holding me back."
Care to elaborate? If you want.
>>
>>
I like the colors and it shows you put a lot of work into it. Overall its kinda inconsistent, for example >>2329276 here you really nailed the face of the left guy, but the right guy not so much. Like >>2329278 said it shows that you lack 'technical skill'. The poses look stiff, the anatomy is off some of the faces are really off and you stuggle with hair.
Study more fundermentals and you will be golden.

>>2329269
Is that a guy or a girl (dead person), the hair, chest and lips makes me think its a girl but im kinda unsure looking at the crotch
>>
>>2329303
Thank you for your comments.

He is a very feminine man.
>>
This one is female for sure though.
>>
File: plotting_by_rlcarter-d8zaarc.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
plotting_by_rlcarter-d8zaarc.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>
>>
>>2329262

I really don't know what to tell aside from "keep going".

You obviously have the patience and drive to create very detailed images. Try drawing for awhile, just drawing. That's the only advice I feel qualified in dispensing.
>>
File: repent_by_rlcarter-d92tucu.png (882 KB, 559x1000) Image search: [Google]
repent_by_rlcarter-d92tucu.png
882 KB, 559x1000
>>
>>2329349
Thank you. I will keep going. I will work on being less stiff and more natural.
>>
Too muddy. Try to do a piece using only hard brushes.
>>
>>2329352
this is pretty cool m8
>>
>>
>>
>>
I'm going to be blunt. On a Technical level your pictures are absolute ass.

However, you seem to have a lot of drive, determination and patience to sit down and create finished works, which is a lot more than can be said for the perpetual sketchers and studiers on here.

You also have a good range of interesting ideas and nice color sense. If you actually put some effort into studying, perspective, anatomy, materials/drapery etc... then I think you have the makings of a really good artist.
>>
File: worship_by_rlcarter-d8iu64i.png (1 MB, 742x1000) Image search: [Google]
worship_by_rlcarter-d8iu64i.png
1 MB, 742x1000
>>
Some of these are very nice. I think generally figures and faces are your weakest point, or at least they're hit or miss (some are quite good and some are mediocre). In some I feel like things stick out in your pieces in a bit of a strange way (forgive the poor explanation), it just seems a little disunified, but I can't really think of a suggestion to fix it and I'm less capable in the first place, just my two cents.
Still, your colors are pretty nice and as other anons have said its refreshing to see some ambitious finished pieces.
>>
>>2329508
>On a Technical level your pictures are absolute ass.

I'd say just anatomy and rendering are bad. His compositions, values, and colours are pretty good. I think it seems worse than it really is because the works really depend on good anatomy (lots of figures, dramatic expressions) and that happens to be his weakest point.

I would hold off on the 'swirly' blending on faces and such. Kinda cheezy. But it works ok in background elements.

Actually, yeah, they're pretty muddy. Try limiting your colour range, and try making larger areas have single values.
>>
>>2329508
Absolute ass? Alright.

I don't have much else going on in life right now, so yes, I have some time. I may have to reevaluate how I'm creating art completely. I thought my perspective was impeccable, but I understand the folds of clothing are unrealistic and the anatomy is lacking detail, and the poses are a little stiff.
>>
>>2329548
An addendum:

It kind of feels like a good amatuer diver attempting to pull off a highly technical, olympic level dive. Could probably do pretty good work if you approached something simpler.

But hey, nothing wrong with pushing yourself, I guess.
>>
>>2329556
way to take it like a man, now go work.
>>
File: 001-portrait-of-carolus-duran.jpg (1 MB, 2400x2929) Image search: [Google]
001-portrait-of-carolus-duran.jpg
1 MB, 2400x2929
>>2329262
The figures tend to look like corpses. They are chalky and have black lines throughout. The swirly busy strokes on their skin don't help. I would try simplifying things for a while.

But yes, impressive that you have so many pieces with so many figures.
>>
>>2329556

The stylisation where it looks like a woodcut is cool but going to limit you.

Your figures are stiff? Are you using poser or something? Don't do that.

The lack of realistic rendering and lighting holds you back.

You should pick a successful artists style and try to copy it. Here's an example excercise.

http://ninja-art.freeforums.net/thread/54/hardy-fowler-style-piece?page=1&scrollTo=176
>>
NAAGGH!! I think your gestures are vivid and the proportions are O.K.. I also like the fantasy themes even when I sometimes mistake a saving for a murder(the birdman with the tree).
But when it comes to drapery and textures like backgrounds, stones, clouds etc you loose yourself in the minutest way and the summary gets blown away. Soemtimes it's also hard to get what's to be seen at all, e.g.absolute terror; is he bathing in orange liquid or are there lambent flames around the main character?
And if you look at the thumbs you posted in this thread only - they're almost all very blurred. Let the focused stuff main characters, foreground sharp blurr the background - you can emphazise what's more important to you.

>>2329646 too bad you can't watch the whole vid without becoming a member...
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.