[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /ic/. I want to get serious about drawing but my dominant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: hands-02.jpg (96 KB, 1600x1135) Image search: [Google]
hands-02.jpg
96 KB, 1600x1135
Hey /ic/.
I want to get serious about drawing but my dominant hand is kinda fucked up: low strength in muscle extension and involuntary finger twitches that last for a minute or so once in a while. I can draw just fine but I'm afraid it would be a serious issue when drawing in the future if I plan to get serious.
Should I start drawing with my left hand? How hard would it be to transition? Would it even be possible to be as skillful?
>>
If you do digital and paint rather than do precise lineart you can probably pretty much negate the disadvantage. You can generally be pretty imprecise and just keep slapping layer over layer as you refine, and if you work on a large canvas you can just zoom in really far for precision stuff so even if your hand shakes it won't be a problem.
>>
>>2318522
It can't hurt to start practicing with your left. Just be aware that your left has had a lifetime less of use than your right. When Algenpfleger got wrist issues and switched to his left he did the same volume of drawing and fucked up his left immediately. You'll need to ease into it.

Anyways, it's been done before. Frazetta suffered a stroke and couldn't use his right hand anymore and switched to his left and there was no difference really in his art after that.

I also think that the physical aspect of art is overemphasized. You can simply work larger or use an underhand grip to get around most problems. There's people out there who are paralyzed and can still paint. Unless you are relying a ton on very precisely controlled fine detail like some Renaissance draftsman, you are probably fine.
>>
>>2318538
>>2318540
My problem isn't really that the twitching would ruin my drawings (though it probably will happen sometimes if I draw on paper).
It's more that drawing would be one more thing straining my hand. And if it became worse in the future I would have to switch to my left eventually.
>>
>>2318552
Have you spoken to a doctor about it? What did they say? Are there options that would reduce strain, such as brace? Or are there exercises to strengthen it?

In the mean time I would start practicing just a bit with your left as a back up plan.

Also if you do draw with your right hand, try doing an overhand grip on large newsprint (preferably vertical on an easel). It should reduce the amount of movement you need to do in your fingers and wrist, and instead put most of the action into your elbow and shoulder.
>>
>>2318554
Apparently it's just from using my hand a lot coupled with severe anxiety. The lack of strength poses no problem at all as it affects only the distension muscles, I was just providing a bit more detail.
Yeah I'll probably change my grip if I continue using my dominant hand. Would an overhand grip work with digital painting though?
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.