[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Art theft fun time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
I found a couple websites selling my art, what actions should I take?
anyone have any stories to share? advice?
two of the sites I found are foreign, will it make it any harder aside from having to translate their contact page? I've never had this happen before; nor did I think it would especially for that piece
>>
Your image is of Nintendo's Intellectual Property so it's kind of a gray area. There was an artist whose fanart depiction of Skeletor was used on a recent blu ray release of the old He-Man film and he's basically powerless to stop it because Skeletor is not his intellectual property to begin with. All you can really do is contact Nintendo about it because they have the legal resources and clout to take unlicensed merchandise off of the market. You will not see any gains from this being done except the satisfaction of knowing you've put some art thieves in their place.
>>
>>2300979
I dont care about the money, man
I just dont want people paying for something like this.
Do I have a good chance of getting them removed?
>>
File: 1402614968788.jpg (9 KB, 203x200) Image search: [Google]
1402614968788.jpg
9 KB, 203x200
Its pretty late right now, I'll try to contact Nintendo tomorrow,
>>2300979
thanks for the response
if anyone else has any other advice, feel free
I'll check on this thread im the morning
>>
>>2300981
I think so man, just contact Nintendo customer support, compile a list of websites selling the item you can find and hopefully they will be able to do something about it; it's not just Nintendo's intellectual property that they're stealing but your art. Justice will find a way. I wouldn't even mention that it's your fanart, just make sure to emphasize that these companies are selling unlicensed merchandise.
>>
OP, the problem with your picture is that while it is certainly fan-art....it contains the actual trademarked logo itself.

Can you get it taken down as your own work from those sites? Sure.
Are the rights to the imagery in that picture entirely yours? Nope.
You used their trademarked logo. If you were to tell me otherwise, I wouldn't even know.
Heck if a Nintendo lawyer saw your piece making money, they would happily have it taken down just for that logo being there.

>>2300979
>>That Skeletor picture
>>Having a trademark on something suddenly means you can dismiss anything under fair-use harbor and call it your own property, such as stealing fan-art.

Lol, this isn't how copyright works.
The artist of that fan-art can sue and win the case very easily.

Just because you have a trademark on something, doesn't mean you can take someone else's work and use it commercially without a license to their own copyrighted piece, even if it is fan-art of a trademarked character.

If it was something as harmless as posting it on their own website or social network as recognition for the artist, sure that would be legal.

But ripping it off and putting it on the cover of their own product?

That's copyright infringement. And it also makes them look really fucking lazy and desperate to do so without compensation. Heck, his art doesn't even resemble their copyrighted works, and contains nothing along the lines of their actual trademark (eg. the word Skeletor isn't in there, no logo was added, etc etc).
>>
>>2301000
as long as its taken down, im happy
I just dont want shitty "geeky im so nerdy" website making money off something I made
>>
>>2301004

You didn't make anything you just stole from nintendo.
>>
>>2301044
,,l,,
>>
>>2301044
This. Are you trying to sell this shit too? If you're gonna steal logos and put them on personal work, that's whatever. But you can't make money off it. Also, it makes you a fucking scrub. Come up with an original idea instead of pandering to a bunch of fucking losers.
>>
>>2301530
jesus christ, I already said I dont care about the money. nor do I want to make money with this.
this was just an idea I made a couple years ago, I didnt even begin to think this would be put on a shirt or sold as a print.
I just dont want shitty "nerd culture lol" websites making money on this shit
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.