[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did he do it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 9
File: ABARTH(DrSlump).jpg (73 KB, 395x387) Image search: [Google]
ABARTH(DrSlump).jpg
73 KB, 395x387
How did Akira Toriyama manage to draw such detailed, stylized machines while still maintaining clean lines?

Is there a technique here that im missing other than using basic references and rendering them in his own style? It sounds much easier said than done.
>>
>>2292280

>on nofap
>see this thread

Why are you doing this to me, anon?
>>
If I'd to guess. I'd say they kept drawing like regular, but redraw with a single line, based on the base image
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: sandland-tank.jpg (195 KB, 900x669) Image search: [Google]
sandland-tank.jpg
195 KB, 900x669
>>
>>
File: db_ann-robot.png (253 KB, 574x504) Image search: [Google]
db_ann-robot.png
253 KB, 574x504
>>
draw a lot of cars.
>>
>>2292321
>tfw modern cars are boring as shit to draw
>>
>>2292280

If you look closely the individual lines aren't that clean. But they are consistent. Nothing too technically impressive, if anything I admire the design more than the skill.
>>
>>2292326
not if you do what he did and picked cars he thought looked cool/drew them in very skewed proportions that made them much more appealing for him to draw

>>2292280
know that we're looking at a "final" print version that's much smaller than the "original" on paper drawing.

also that he'd sketch it first, then lightbox the sketch to ink on another sheet of paper (possibly lightboxing the sketch multiple times to clean it up so it would be easier to do the final ink)

nowadays, thanks to technology, you can speed up this whole process with digital tools, tho there's nothing stopping you from keeping it all traditional if you want to (i'd heavily suggest photocopying your final inks and then coloring that photocopy incase you mess up, that way you don't destroy the whole illustration, finding a photocopyer that uses decent paper can be tricky tho)
>>
It's called perspective
>>
>>2292400
Elaborate. Stop being so vague you faggot.
>>
>>2292280
>1. Practice drawing lines, ellipses, curves ect. to train muscle memory
>2. Learn perspective
>3. Study cars
>>
>>2292280
If you study cars enough, you can get a sense of where lines are supposed to be. You can be amazed at how a few extra lines here and there can make the whole thing feel legit.
>>
>>2292280
there are plenty of artists who can do this, just draw a lot
>>
>>2292627
>there are plenty of artists who can do this
>plenty

Why are none of them on /ic
>>
>>2292675
Probably because they're out, drawing. /ic/ is where artists go to stay mediocre
>>
>>2292675
Because this place is full of angry, shit flinging children who are so full of jealousy that they chase away anyone with even a tiny bit of skill.
>>
>>2292676
Post your work.
>>
File: Page 03-04.png (641 KB, 1230x600) Image search: [Google]
Page 03-04.png
641 KB, 1230x600
>>2292280
Glad to know I'm not the only one absolutely in love with Toriyama's vehicles.

I think miniatures is how he did it. Using photos isn't nearly as nice as having a miniature you can turn around and look at from every angle as you draw. It lets you understand the forms so much better and it's really helpful to keep things on model and detailed, and that leads to better styilization as well.

I'm not that great myself but I'm having a lot of fun with it and I'm getting much better results than I did with photos. If I wasn't in bed with a flu I'd paste some pics together. The guns in this one are an exaggerated version of a Colt Python miniature.
>>
>>2292280
Too bad Dragonball Z went full shit and had lack of machines
>>
>>2292292
drawing like this is my dream
>>
From which tool these colors are made?
>>
>>2293463
There's a Shonen Jump interview where he says he used colored inks. Now he works digitally.
>>
>>2292280
Ellipse guides, french curves, etc.
maybe
>>
File: 1430763976579s.jpg (188 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1430763976579s.jpg
188 KB, 480x480
>>2294982
I doubt it. Maybe for construction?

Anyway with Google and my uber crappy Japanese I managed to find out a little bit of info.

Apparently Akira Toriyama is VERY respected in Japan for his mechanical design, and there are many articles that analyze the way he caricatures vehicles.

This is an ad for Suzuki
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxeBhcq6FVY

He's a massive militaria / car enthusiast with extensive knowledge of the subject matter, which is probably why he can pull off this kind of deformation while keeping things natural.

I have found no information whatsoever on his technique, but this a video of an alleged assistant working on a piece. Seems plausible given the quality of it.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDg0MDY3MjM2.html?f=23289225

TLDR Akira Toriyama is a beast.
>>
>>2295318

> what a nice little drawing
> would be a shame if someone
> put a drop shadow in photoshop on it
>>
>>2292411
perspective is like 1/4 of it, characterization is really quite difficult to understand, and I am terrible at drawing so it's hard for me to say what people like toriyama do, but they probably act much more freeform than you normally would when drawing a machine, using lopsided shapes and "feeling" it, of course he probably can draw a realistic drawing of a car in normal scale, before he ever drew this stuff.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.