[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I wish i knew chinese
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
http://www.geekpark.net/topics/213938
>>
>>2284740
What's there to know from this article?

>Ruanjia worked in a company called Webdragon from march 2001 where there was only 8 people in their art department (and only 2 of them was working 3d at the time, him and the 3d director). By the time he left there was close to 3000 people in the art department.

>Played video games since I was small, liked triple-A games from other countries

>in 2008 he recieved an invitation to Canada, which allowed him to later work at ARENANET.

>Last year he planned on returning to china, but received work at 343

Pretty generic stuff, followed by a Q&A. Honestly there's not too much you can get out of this article, apart from the fact that he started out small I guess.
>>
>>2284777
Any interesting details from the Q&A?
>>
>>2284820
I guess I'll try and paraphrase the Q&A section.

Apart from literally every question starting off with fangirling about him
>Q: what are your advices for students? (coming from an art instructor I think)
>A: Just copy other people's style first, then internalize and develop your own

>Q:How do you think story and products are related? Movies in China are looking better, but can't tell a story for shit.
>A: It's a global problem, look at Hollywood. Many movies look good with amazing special effects, but really bad story. I think it's mostly because investors invest for profit, so to attract them studios uses fancy fx. If you want a good story, you can get them anywhere (literally: small screens). Plus kids likes effects more than story, and this isn't something I can solve alone.

>Q: There are many people studying art, and In china there are many [art]training institutions. They are very young, around their early 20s. As soon as they graduate they're mostly working 3D modelling from 9am -9pm. Many are saying they don't know how to draw anymore. What are some advices?
A: in 2000 I went to Central Academy of Fine Arts (CAFA) for 4 months learning 3dMAX to find a job. Afterwards I found a job at Webdragon where I did 3D modelling for 6-7 years, very similar to the situation you told me. Nowadays 3D models are rendered in real time, but back then they needed to be rendered first. While rendering, I would draw my own things on paper. All of my practice squeezed in [to my timetable]. I only switched to 2D in 2007, and because I was always practicing, my skills was decent. In the end,the key still lies on how much time you spend on drawing. You can go to classes, but basically these institutes will get you to the entrance. If you've never touched these things[art] before, the teachers can give you insight on the industry.

count.
>>
>>2284852

RJ did 3d for 7 years... holy shit that is an interesting insight. maybe it's better to start with that either way because it sets a foundation for concept art workflows and gets you into the industry way more easily. it's also a useful skill in any studio.
>>
>>2284862
A number of people started in 3d. Mathias Verhasselt is another pretty famous example.
>>
>>2284852
>Q: Whenever someone looks at your work, they always comment on your attention[detail and transparency] to light and color. Have you always studied the expression of these translucent light, creating this unique style that can't be surpassed?
>A:I can't claim that my style cannot be surpassed,because art is subjective(?). When you study something you should always try and understand it completely. Whether Light, color, form, technique or the theory, gaining insight on how they work will be a big help in drawing. For example, say you don't know the basics of sketching [literally "the relationship of sketching"], you'll be limited on what you can draw. Like drawing fire, many people would add flames left and right, because they don't know how to control it. If you had practiced and studied flames before, or you know a little about the property of light in flames, you can control it. The main point of doing studies is to expand your knowledge and freedom. However this does not mean you will be able to draw good, that is a matter of ability. I always suggest everyone to improve their drawing abilities. But keep in mind, just what are you trying to express in the end?

cont.
>>
>>2284885
>Q: I'm a beginner in the industry, with only 1 or 2 years under my belt. Right now my problem is that there are so many great resources online, but when I start drawing I would always forget to incorprate what I've seen into my own drawing. How do you meld your references into your own drawing, and how do you manage your time so you're not spending too much time finding references?

>A:For things like this you must have a set plan before you start. Like when I draw a person for personal work, I can spend two to 3 hours just finding reference. However, when working you must have a set plan from the very start, depending on how long you have to draw. If you only have 15 minutes, just don't have the time to find references. If you have a whole day, you can spend probably 10-15 minutes finding reference. Say you have 30 minutes to find reference, and you're not happy with what you got then that's too bad. You'll need to make do. Don't think you can find a month's worth of reference in 30 minutes. If you set a plan, you should stick with it.

>Q: Right now my [drawing] foundations aren't stable (good), but how do I balance learning both foundations and design theory?
>A:Don't get too impatient, everything's done one step at a time. For me, as long as I'm better then what I was yesterday I'm super happy. When I first started I had this attitude, and that hasn't changed since. I never try and compare myself to others.

>Q:Let's go back to talk about foundations
>A: Foundations, like everything, are made one step at a time.

>Q: How did you get past language and cultural differences to communicate with others?
>A: My English before was terrible. When I first left china I didn't speak English at all, and hat to catch up overtime. There are two roads to overseas. One is to attend overseas school. The other is, provided you have some international presence, take on Jobs from overseas company. The good thing about art is you can communicate with a wave of the stylus.
>>
>>2284904
And that was the end of the Q&A section. I'll lurk for a bit if you still want something translated (Though there are probably better anons for the job)
>>
File: 1443869114430.png (21 KB, 200x177) Image search: [Google]
1443869114430.png
21 KB, 200x177
>>2284909
>>2284904
>>2284885
>>2284852
>>
>>2284909 good man, good man.
People like that must feel so happy on the inside, being able to create something vastly better than anyone else.
>>
>>2284909
Good. I hope you not trolling us
>>
>>2284956
I'm not, and I don't think anyone would be autistic enough to spend that much time and effort just to troll.
>>
File: _.jpg (1 MB, 2367x1125) Image search: [Google]
_.jpg
1 MB, 2367x1125
>>2284981
mucho appreciado
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.