[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we get a historical fiction thread going? What are you guys
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 13
File: image.jpg (140 KB, 701x755) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
140 KB, 701x755
Can we get a historical fiction thread going? What are you guys reading? Anybody have suggestions for ancient historical fiction (preferably in Mesopotamia/Middle East)?
>>
>>994159
I read Agincourt by Bernard something or other about a year ago. A friend gave it to me and suggested his Anglo Saxon chronicles.
>>
File: le holy roman emporer man.jpg (102 KB, 476x598) Image search: [Google]
le holy roman emporer man.jpg
102 KB, 476x598
>>994159
>"The Holy Roman Empire was, according to Voltaire, neither holy, nor Roman, nor an empire. But it was long-lived, complex, brutal, important, and fascinating, as is evident from the reading of this notable work"

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Roman-Empire-James-Bryce/dp/1479208523
>>
>>994159
I just read a good one called Black Robe. About a Jesuit priest in Canada in the 1600s who cannot stand the wilderness or Indians but is super devoted and won't give up his mission.

It's pretty dark, lots of Mohawk savagery and torture, and does a good job making the Indians relatable (to the reader, not the protaganist) but not putting Native American culture on a pedestal. He translates the indian speech in a really funny and ignoble way too.
>>
File: Masters_of_Rome.jpg (175 KB, 510x680) Image search: [Google]
Masters_of_Rome.jpg
175 KB, 510x680
>>994159
This one is good.
Although, not sure if you are asking for fiction that is historical, or fiction pertaining to history.
It's a bit soapy tho, guys might not appreciate it as much.
>>
>>996981
Good? It's not good. It's probably the best place to eat in all of Los Angeles. It's excellent.

But really, it is excellent. She researched for years before putting a single word on paper aside from notes and family trees. You could use it as a history text, it's far more in depth and accurate than most general ones as far as that period of Rome is concerned.
>>
File: gatesoffire.jpg (148 KB, 1164x1811) Image search: [Google]
gatesoffire.jpg
148 KB, 1164x1811
my favorite book desu
>>
>>994159
Just here to mention Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwall. Yet to find anything as good in the Pre(ish)-Saxon Britain genre.
>>
>>994159

Whats everyones opinion on Christian Camerons series. Tyrant, William Gold, The Long War. He also has a stand alone based called Alexander: God of War based on Alexander but from the POV of Ptolemy.

Going to be honest im a bit of a fanboy.
>>
>>997142

The Afghan Campaign by Pressfield is great too.
>>
>>994159
>What are you guys reading?
I finished reading Dictator (Cicero's trilogy of Harris) last week. I liked it, it's rather well written.
>>
>>996853
The Saxon Stories began well, but there is so many books that the whole epic build-up from the first books is wasted and it just became a formulaic mess, imo. Every book is pretty much the same: Uhtred is banished/England is menaced/Uhtred is called back/Uhtred saves the day.

Cornwell's best work is still the Warlord Chronicles. Just three books and it's perfect that way.
>>
>>997491
>Cornwell's best work is still Sharpe.
FTFY. The warlord chronicles were meh and they had a lot of fantasy bullshit, plus Cornwell's historical expertise on the period is mediocre (>muh blood channels in swords). Also fuck Arthur, Jesus Christ he couldn't die quick enough.
>>
Have you read the Esskar Saga by Sam Barone?

Takes place early in the bronze age in Mesopotamia. Not sure how historically accurate it is because i know fuck all about the era and the writing isnt fantastic but its still an enjoyable story. I read the first 3 and only stopped because i could get hold of the 4th.
>>
Anyone into Ken Follett? Century trilogy was a good read.
>>
>>996981
Got bored after Sulla died.
>>
>>997360
Does that count as historical fiction? There is magic and shit.
>>
>>997376
I picked up one of them at my library (didn't realise it was part of a series) I found the guys warrior princess sister really annoying.
>>
File: Master and Commander.jpg (28 KB, 312x475) Image search: [Google]
Master and Commander.jpg
28 KB, 312x475
Obligatory
>>
>>994159
In general, I would highly recommend all of Gore Vidal's work, and in particular I'd recommend Julian, which describes the Apostate emperor's life through his own biography and letters written by his aged philosopher friends; Burr, which is an beautifully written account of Aaron Burr's life using similar narrative methods; and Lincoln, which describes the president's tenure through everybody else's eyes. Regarding middle eastern historical fiction, there is Creation, which is set in the fifth century BCE, and is a first-person description of the life of a Persian diplomat, who basically meets anybody is anybody during that time.

I'd also recommend the works of Robert Graves, particularly the Claudius novels, and Count Belisarius.
>>
File: 1419361073294.jpg (45 KB, 460x359) Image search: [Google]
1419361073294.jpg
45 KB, 460x359
>>999657
My man
>>
>>999639
It could be interpreted as magic. But Cornwall says in the afterword that he made it deliberately ambiguous so as to be just been luck and skill. Kind of like what real magic would have been.
>>
The Long Ships by Frans Bengtsson, obligatory for any lover of history ever. I can never overstate the beauty of this novel.
The Alexander books by Mary Renault.

>>999316
Pillars of the Earth and World Without End? Dank as fuck.

>>1000197
Yes. I'll second Colleen McCullough too.
>>
File: 91sHml4XyWL._SL1500_.jpg (324 KB, 996x1500) Image search: [Google]
91sHml4XyWL._SL1500_.jpg
324 KB, 996x1500
Only read the first book in the series, but it was good. Once I get more time I'm going to try book two--hopefully over the summer.
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 310x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 310x499
>>994159
>Mesopotamia

This trilogy is the bomb.
>>
Not sure if this would count
>>
File: 516-GJ0MLaL._UY250_.jpg (16 KB, 162x250) Image search: [Google]
516-GJ0MLaL._UY250_.jpg
16 KB, 162x250
I like the Vespasian series.

Anyone know anything set in Antigonid Macedon, the Seleucid empire or Epirus?
>>
>>996981
I found it a step above than the usual garbage than is called historical fiction, apart of some license all was on point and explained how the ancients tought pretty well. The first ones are the best, but the way she described Marcus Antonius and his shenaningans was pretty good too. Good mix of Politics, personal drama and some military for the casual too.
>>
>>996853
bernard cornwell

that was the first book I read of his. His Sharpe series is great too but all of his books do tend to have a formula that they follow which can grow stale.

There's an american civil war series he did, too. I can't remember what it the trilogy was called (the first book is called rebel, the last is called copperhead) but I really enjoyed it.
>>
File: Flag_Map_of_British_Raj_(India).png (207 KB, 2005x1697) Image search: [Google]
Flag_Map_of_British_Raj_(India).png
207 KB, 2005x1697
I'd love some really pulpy story following a british soldier in India, exploring the lands, finding abandoned temples and meeting different moguls and shit. Is there anything like that out there that isn't dogshit in terms of quality?
>>
>>1004021
Wasn't there a Sharpe story set in India?
>>
>>1004021

The Flashman book contains some india.
>>
>>1002297
Its called the Starbucks Chronicles or something.

Currenly reading the last book by robyn Young. A trilogy covering the scottish rebellion.
>>
Any books by Conn Iggulden
He does fiction on ghengis khan and Julius Caesar.
Really fucking good.
>>
The Three Musketeers (http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1257) is god-tier, though its sequels aren't. Ivanhoe (http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/82) is likewise awesome, and Ben-Hur (http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2145) is pretty fun as well.
>>
File: antigonos.jpg (17 KB, 200x292) Image search: [Google]
antigonos.jpg
17 KB, 200x292
>>1001580
Pic related is about Antigonos II Gonatas. It starts with Demetrios and Antigonos Monopthalmus fucking shit up and I cant even remember how it ends.
Pretty fucking great. Unfortunately I don't know if it's been translated to English, though.
Most likely not.
>>
File: Media.jpg (209 KB, 650x594) Image search: [Google]
Media.jpg
209 KB, 650x594
>>996975
>>1000460
Gonna check these out

Best historical fiction I've ever read is The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet, about a dutchman in 1800s Japan. Some mystical elements, but no magic.

All The Light We Cannot See is fantastic, mainly involves a German soldier in WWII. Finished it recently and it made me sad.

Gates of Fire and All Quiet On the Western Front are obligatory.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.