[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did the sovereign citizen movement get started? Why has it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: hmm.jpg (17 KB, 408x286) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
17 KB, 408x286
How did the sovereign citizen movement get started? Why has it persisted so long and doesn't seem to be affected by it's 0% track record in court? Have there been any scholarly works on the phenomenon?
>>
Its literally magical-thinking applied to the concept of law

No seriously, these people think if you do certain rituals and write down certain sigils and runes in red ink it will absolve you of the law because reasons

Your real question should be why does magical-thinking seem to be so omnipresent in human societies?
>>
>>992949

Don't forget the magic incantations:

"Are you detaining me or am I free to go?"
"Am I being detained?"
"Am I free to go?"
>>
>>992940
It's people thinking the government has become too big and want to unilaterally withdraw their consent to be governed.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyy9Vns4Ias
>>
I just found out about it last week and watched a few videos with them on youtube... I am fascinated by the mentally challenged and whenever i find out about a new demographic that is completely stupid like this (flat earth believers for example) i am just intrigued and i have to watch more videos / read more about them. I actually found out that 2 of these "sovereign citizens" were stopped by police for a routine check and one of them actually whipped out an AK47 and shot both police dead for no discernible reason. Truely insane people.
>>
>>993097
>Truely insane people.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/11/25/sovereign-citizens-are-america-s-top-cop-killers.html

Yea they're pretty nutty.
>>
File: laughing cyberman.jpg (23 KB, 524x337) Image search: [Google]
laughing cyberman.jpg
23 KB, 524x337
>"do you understand" secretly means "do you STAND UNDER the law" (do you accept my authority)
>>
>>993953
>tfw standing under the law
>>
>berth certificate
>>
>>992940
Here you go OP.
185 pages of history and characteristics of sovereign citizens.

https://thelastbastille.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/meads-v-meads-2012-abqb-571-organized-pseudolegal-commercial-argument-opca-freeman-on-the-land-decision.pdf
>>
>>994005
Shorter version

https://www.sog.unc.edu/sites/www.sog.unc.edu/files/additional_files/Sovereign%20citizens%20briefing%20paper%20Nov%2012_1.pdf
>>
Started as fringe libertarianism. Now there's little similarity, but if you look close enough you can see it.
>>
>>993953

Rule of Law, niggers. If Tricky Dicky can have his collar felt, so can Joe Sixpack.
>>
Are you sovereign? If not, are you then a slave to some entity that is?
>>
>>993943

What a shitty bait article.

>sovereign citizens biggest threat to law enforcement! Totally not niggers, guise. It's contrary to what you would think!
>study just says that cops perceive them to be a bigger threat that groups like animal rights activists and the nonexistent KKK.
>>
I can understand challenging immigration check-points and generally speaking out against police-state attitudes but if it goes into 'i don't have to obey any law that I particularly don't want to' then sure, they're nutbags.
>>
>>994105
>implying cops don't act on percieved threats, resulting in unecessary danger
>implying that this somehow isn't one of the leading causes of police violence, and by association police death
>>
>>994105
These guys are related to rogue militias and other domestic terrorist-y groups.

They aren't the top, but they are like the Muslims that tacitly approve of Islamic terrorism, see?
>>
>>994193

>implying that I ever implied such a thing

Of course the police do. Everyone does. The leading cause of 'police violence' is still dipshits of all colors and creeds who think that it's a good idea to disobey a lawful order.

I said it's a shitty article because it's purposely misleading people into thinking some contrarian John Green Reddit-tier BS about how "ackshually conservative white people are the worst terrorists and cop killers" when that's not even close to what the survey said. Of course the readers don't care about that because it confirms their biases.
>>
>>994360
Dumbass sovereign citizens come in all creeds and colours actually.
>>
>>994005
>https://thelastbastille.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/meads-v-meads-2012-abqb-571-organized-pseudolegal-commercial-argument-opca-freeman-on-the-land-decision.pdf

This is awesome. MANY thanks.
>>
All the sovereign citizen types are morons. Many of them are mentally unstable.
Ask why there are plenty of idiots who believe in the hollow earth and other nonsense like that.
>>
>>992940
I did not consent to this thread.
>>
>>993953
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJRjbFQ2d60
>>
>>994005
>whipping out a 185-page .pdf
I love /his/
>>
>>994005
What's with this guy's obsession of "enticed into slavery"?
Sovcits sure have a lot of buzzwords
>>
File: skepticism in the house.jpg (38 KB, 320x403) Image search: [Google]
skepticism in the house.jpg
38 KB, 320x403
>>994472
I can't even tell if this is satire or not...
>>
>>993024
And why do they believe that the government that is too big and powerful can be stopped by verbal rituals?
>>
>>993097
>flat earth believers
I may be wrong, but aside from memers on twitter, I'm pretty certain that Flat Earthers are part of a debate society
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.