[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Daily Orthodox General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 13
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 191x265) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10 KB, 191x265
Daily Orthodox General
>>
how do i convert
>>
>>991263

Call or email your local parish priest, tell him that you're interested in Orthodox with a possible goal of conversion. He'll probably arrange a meetup, and you guys can take it from there.

It's not like Catholicism where you go to RCIA classes. The spiritual Elder is considered to be of critical importance in the Orthodox Church, so most of the lessons will probably be one is on one.
>>
File: 1leo1leo112121.jpg (343 KB, 700x863) Image search: [Google]
1leo1leo112121.jpg
343 KB, 700x863
I been thinking about converting. Recently with the new pope and reading up on Orthodoxy I feel like I am drifting away from the catholic church due to the new pope. I do however feel like I would be betraying my heritage by doing this, as my ancestors died for catholicism.

Pic almost related yet unrelated.
>>
As an /orth/ by birth, I don't get you lads, orthodoxy is literally shit-tier in practice.
>>
Why should I believe in God
>>
>>991548
You shouldn't by any definition. You either do or don't
>>
all Orthodox priests are registered FSB informants
>>
File: St. Peter icon.jpg (316 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
St. Peter icon.jpg
316 KB, 1200x1600
What happens if a guy named Mohamed wants to convert? Does he change his name for a Christian one?
>>
>>991534
>due to the new pope
Why? He's a great guy.
>>
>>991677
He's a Marxist ideologue, like the Dalai Llelma. Fuck them
>>
>>991658

>mfw a guy called Mohammed converts
>mfw he is killed by his family but not after endearing himself to the church and his community through good works
>mfw he is beatified and then declared a saint because miracles are ascribed to him
>mfw St. Mohammed of Medina (that's where he was from originally)

Please let this happen.
>>
File: 14ky369.jpg (65 KB, 710x830) Image search: [Google]
14ky369.jpg
65 KB, 710x830
Can anyone recommend me some Orthodox black metal?
>>
>>991534

Schismating in the first place just so the Pope could take his dick up Charlemagne s asshole was also selling out your ancestors.
>>
>>991542

As a convert, you haven't seen how bad things have gotten in the West yet. Protestant services are basically just a Christian Rock concert with some inspirational sermons in between. The Novus Ordo is an absolute mess, it's not uncommon to find four-piece bands playing modern hymns, or a priest cracking jokes during his sermon, and the whole damn thing isn't supposed to take longer than half an hour because apparently baby boomers were to lazy to sit on their asses for longer. Orthodoxy is the only real denomination that's held and is contuing to hold true to its traditions.
>>
File: 1376795027404.jpg (35 KB, 453x390) Image search: [Google]
1376795027404.jpg
35 KB, 453x390
>>991693
>>
File: War_2c9427_5874124.jpg (154 KB, 900x829) Image search: [Google]
War_2c9427_5874124.jpg
154 KB, 900x829
>>991948
Suppose you're right ;_;' I got slav blood so I suppose I could justify that with this.
>>
File: Fuck Chechnya.jpg (252 KB, 917x845) Image search: [Google]
Fuck Chechnya.jpg
252 KB, 917x845
>>992178
>>
>>991948
>Schismating in the first place just so the Patriarch could stick his tongue up the Emperor's asshole was also selling out your ancestors.
>>
>>991875

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl3YWphMt4E
>>
>>991534
I'm glad whenever faggots like you leave the Church
People like you are the cancer that will destroy is from within because you won't fight for it.
>>
>>993689
I think the one destroying the church is the one who is encouraging Muslims to enter and take over Christian countries.
>>
Andrei Rublev does the good art, i feel.
>>
Hey as someone who prays for death, if my appendix were to flare up would this be God answering my prayer or would I be obliged to seek medical treatment

>>991542
Can you expand on this?
>>
>>994255
Oh look it's another pseudo-Catholic.

You were never Catholic to begin with, you heretical swine.
>>
If I convert, do I have to denounce all 3D representation?
>>
>>994442
kek
I'm Protestant, but good job at avoiding my point.
>>
File: 31423.jpg (108 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
31423.jpg
108 KB, 620x465
Great channel in English, great guests:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD-hPfNt3SgcmvjEfFRS-_A

especially this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeEHaQjgpOk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GHE6oqCc_U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87GvZrM0Kbw

also this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faQwgodvqdA
>>
are your churches as beautiful as the catholics?
>>
>>994511
I don't think mideval churches can compare (basically because orthodox churches were on East and destroyed or converted by Muslims (like Hagia Sophia))

However Church is not a building but communion of people. Only if you come to Orthodox liturgy you can decide if it is beautiful for you or not.
>>
File: 1450613925652.jpg (3 MB, 3389x2631) Image search: [Google]
1450613925652.jpg
3 MB, 3389x2631
>>994511
>>
>>994380
Bumping for htis
>>
>>994706
>Hey as someone who prays for death, if my appendix were to flare up would this be God answering my prayer or would I be obliged to seek medical treatment

God already intervened by giving you a brain not to act like a moron :)
>>
>>994723
Im serious here
>>
>>994731
well, God doesn't work that way, I pray and he gives me money, I sin and I get hit by the car.

God gave you free will with the reason, and you suffer with the reason, he even suffered on the cross to help you see. If you don't learn anything from your suffering, death will not release you. We will all live forever. That's not up for discussion, it's done - Christ conquered Death. Now imagine living forever with all the stuff that makes you wish for death right now, that will be an eternal torture, and that's actually what Christians call Hell (not devils with forks)
>>
>>994781
>well, God doesn't work that way, I pray and he gives me money, I sin and I get hit by the car.

God answers prayers and is not mechanical in doing so if he wishes to grant your prayers for money he shall, if he thinks you getting hit by that car will benefit you he may well do so.

>
God gave you free will with the reason, and you suffer with the reason, he even suffered on the cross to help you see. If you don't learn anything from your suffering, death will not release you. We will all live forever. That's not up for discussion, it's done - Christ conquered Death. Now imagine living forever with all the stuff that makes you wish for death right now, that will be an eternal torture, and that's actually what Christians call Hell (not devils with forks)

That doesn't answer my question, of how I should view and act in relation to the abdominal pain and Gods intervention.
>>
>>994781
>Now imagine living forever with all the stuff that makes you wish for death right now, that will be an eternal torture, and that's actually what Christians call Hell (not devils with forks)

St John must not be a Christian then because revelations say otherwise.
>>
>>994853
>That doesn't answer my question, of how I should view and act in relation to the abdominal pain and Gods intervention.
Go to the doctor

>>994887
>St John must not be a Christian then because revelations say otherwise.
What exactly are you talking about?
>>
>>994921
>Go to the doctor
Why though? what is to say that this is not an answer to a prayer?
>>
>>994921
Revelations between 19 and 21 where St John talks of people who reject Jesus experiencing the lake of fire and brimstone. Whilst separation from God is the principal form of suffering the fires of hell are quite literal as well.
>>
>>994960
maybe me answering to your post on some forum is also a sign from God :)

>>994982
Well, to be honest, Orthodox Christianity is not very big on Revelations at all, and also, prerequisite for any interpretation of the Bible in our Church is attaining the spirit of the Church, and not interpreting it alone. As such, in my Church life I almost exclusively encountered interpretation of Hell that you mention - separation from God, being in the presence of God but not enjoying it but feeling tortured
>>
>>995087
>maybe me answering to your post on some forum is also a sign from God :)

That could be right yet you havent actually answered my question regarding the nature of prayer and Gods intervention in the world. All you have have done is dismissed my legitimate concerns and gone off to talk on other issues assuming that what I say is wrong or irrelevant
>>
>>995087
>Well, to be honest, Orthodox Christianity is not very big on Revelations at all, and also, prerequisite for any interpretation of the Bible in our Church is attaining the spirit of the Church, and not interpreting it alone.

This isnt a protestant view but a Catholic one. It would be absurd to say that the very explicit discussion of hell fire would be metaphorical yet simultaneously hold the discussion of the Euchrist not to be.
>>
>>995140
I thought I did, sorry :)

In Orthodox Christianity you can forget about the massmedia idea of prayer (begging or asking for something from superior being) but realize that prayer is an attempt of an encounter, relationship with the living God that chose to become one of us.
I'm afraid if you don't take steps to truly experience the presence of God (feeling that He's with you, listening to you), you are confusing magic mumbo-jumbo with the prayer, expecting it to affect your life.

I seriously doubt if you would approach the God with open heart and attentively He would let you entertain ideas of death and ignoring medical problems.
>>
>>995266
>I'm afraid if you don't take steps to truly experience the presence of God (feeling that He's with you, listening to you), you are confusing magic mumbo-jumbo with the prayer, expecting it to affect your life.

Whilst I appreciate the sentiment there and get that prayer is misunderstood a fair bit I think it is wrong over you to ignore the intercessory nature of prayer which is known both through the bible and tradition. An encounter with God is not one way.

This is a quote which I am mulling over

>In hearing our prayer God does not change His will or action in our regard, but simply puts into effect what He had eternally decreed in view of our prayer. This He may do directly without the intervention of any secondary cause as when He imparts to us some supernatural gift, such as actual grace, or indirectly, when He bestows some natural gift. In this latter case He directs by His Providence the natural causes which contribute to the effect desired, whether they be moral or free agents, such as men; or some moral and others not, but physical and not free; or, again, when none of them is free.

You would agree with this quote would you not?
This may well be the providence when it comes to natural causes.

>I seriously doubt if you would approach the God with open heart and attentively He would let you entertain ideas of death and ignoring medical problems.

See in this instance you take for granted that my doubts are unfounded and that the only answer is that I am inattentive or insincere when dealing with God.

God has taken millions through natural causes throughout history and will do so in the future on what basis can you hold that my case is illigitimate?
>>
>>991273
I emailed two (I'm not the guy you are responding to), and they never responded. It's been about a month. There is another one in my area, Russian Orthodox, and they look like a very active community from their website. I think their services are in Russian, but the website doesn't say. Should I email them? Would I fit in? It looks like the most active one in my area. But they look kind of intimidating since they all seem so happy, and attractive, and not poor (from pictures on their site), and I am the opposite of all those... :/
>>994353
Tarkovsky does the good Andrei Rublev, i feel.
>>
anti-ecumenist bump
>>
Does Constantine even post here anymore?
>>
Generals are discouraged
>>
File: Christ PeterFlyer.jpg (125 KB, 434x600) Image search: [Google]
Christ PeterFlyer.jpg
125 KB, 434x600
>>995772
Probably not, and I wouldn't blame him. Any mention of Christianity on /his/ will start a shit-flinging contest now.
>>
>>991658
He can if he wants, there's no requirement for name changing.
>>
>>994781
>If you don't learn anything from your suffering, death will not release you. We will all live forever. That's not up for discussion, it's done - Christ conquered Death. Now imagine living forever with all the stuff that makes you wish for death right now, that will be an eternal torture, and that's actually what Christians call Hell (not devils with forks)

Holy shit, that's based.
>>
>>995780

>that pic

Eternal bros.
>>
pssst, hey slavs, wanna buy some indulgences?
>>
>>995780
>>995772
You know, even though his threads tended to suck, I kind of miss him now.
>>
>>995793
I think the term you are looking for is base
>>
>>995839
Im mixed on the matter she/he had quite a broad knowledge of history and philsophy and was one of the more clever tripfags however he/she was spamy and kind of deceitful when it came to discussions.
>>
File: 1460298045572.jpg (29 KB, 498x593) Image search: [Google]
1460298045572.jpg
29 KB, 498x593
>>993689
What I am just gonna go and storm the vatican like I am fucking Frederick Barbarossa? By myself elect a new pope. No, so go fuck yourself.
>>
>>994255
Aye. Francis encourages us to accept the savages that want us dead.
>>
>>994442
>It's an "Anon won't even answer your question, but calls you names" post
>>
>>995780
>>995839
>his
Constantine is a female.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.