[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>TL;DR: racism, stereotyping, grouping, labeling, it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 13
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 236x333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 236x333
>TL;DR: racism, stereotyping, grouping, labeling, it's all a part of human nature, which is why almost everyone is racist/sexist to a lesser degree. The genes for this still exist because they helped communities thrive

Are stereotypes and labeling part of human nature, or just a social construct by the western world as some professors say?

Often we hear that racism, sexism, stereotyping etc is just for the close minded and dumb people. But that gets me thinking - why are those genes still present in our gene pools? Why is racism so common? I think it's because it's a very easy way to identify somebody, for example, if you view a black man, your first thoughts may be that he's athletic, cocky, and probably more inclined to crime. This helps because even if those aren't true all the times, you'll still get it right a few times. Humans are inclined to group themselves with people they can identify with because it helps for a stronger community. If you can't identify with your homosexual Asian neighbour you're less likely to form a close knit community. Now, there are some cultures were homosexuality is celebrated etc, but there is no culture without taboos. And taboos exist in all cultures because of the human nature.

Sorry I'm just a layman and maybe I'm on a dumb theory or anything. But to me I've always thought about it like this, smart blacks and whites et along just fine, but the white trash and hood rats never do.
>>
>>987695
>but the white trash and hood rats never do
What are wiggers? I think it's more to do with how separate their societies are in this case. The poor minorities and whites of my area seem to be in "the struggle" together. These cross racial conflicts are probably secondary to economic splits.
>>
>>987695

That picture is strange. Why would Muslims be in the IRA?
>>
>>987702
Also, racism and labeling has survived because the ones who got to reproduce were the ones that kicked out the other minorities or people whom were liked by the society. Not trying to go /pol/mode here, but white people wouldn't survive at all if everyone was your average liberal arts professor. As a matter of fact, the only ethnicities that survive are those that stay with their own or absorb minorities into their group.
>>
When a war starts, the people alive at the end aren't the tolerant ones.
>>
>>987704
Didn't the IRA have close ties with the Palestinians?
>>
>>987731
And this also... You never get to be the top dog by being nice. It's probably the first time in history where progressive ideals and "accepting" differences have become the norm. That won't last for long though. I expect human nature to catch up in maybe a century or maybe a few decades, unless our economy and technology keeps progressing to the point where everything is about the individual. As long as people need to actively be a part of society we will never be truly progressive. It can only happen in an individual society or a society where there's power to uphold progressive ideals (which won't happen).
>>
Compartmentalizing and grouping "others" is human nature. It's animal nature. It's not effective for dealing with individuals, but it serves an important function in nature.
>>
>>987695
you're just speculating about shit you don't understand.

>LOL everything that is common is hardcoded in genes now prepare you're butt for my social darwinism
>>
File: 1460128731932.gif (1 MB, 288x227) Image search: [Google]
1460128731932.gif
1 MB, 288x227
>>987695
Stereotypes are how we view the group. I think niggers are violent, but that doesn't mean I think every nigger I meet is inherently violent, they can be great people.
>>
>>987766
I'm not specifically talking about racism, but labeling as a whole. If it isn't racism, it's religion. If it isn't religion, it's culture. We've never truly had an individualistic society where every judges you based on the individual. Stereotypes and labels help identifying people really quick and can also unite people if they share the similar traits. I read somewhere that religion and culture was vital in early human development, because a tribe cannot exceed 150 members without having some sort of organized culture/religion.
>>
>>987695
It's part of human nature and it's fine because it's simply impossible to take the time to get to know all of the people you come into contact with on a personal level. The way you define these stereotypes is cultural/a social construct though.
> if you view a black man, your first thoughts may be that he's athletic, cocky, and probably more inclined to crime
This would be retarded where I'm from for example
>>
File: x.png (83 KB, 236x333) Image search: [Google]
x.png
83 KB, 236x333
>>987695
fixed
>>
>>987695
I'd say it's more a social construct than anything genetic. Compartmentalization is how we handle everything outside of our own personal experiences, and various forms of stereotyping or bigotry are just way out of many that we simplify the concept of the world beyond our selves.
>>
I'm a faggot and I can confirm that your picture is stupid
Stereotypes can be a good thing. If you embrace a stereotype (this does not mean that you actually have to act a certain way) you will be able to connect to people who are different from yourself way more easily.
>>
>>987779
what if simplism is caused by badly applied intelligence rather than design.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 331x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 331x499
Reminder
>dumb people
Racist and backwards, will label everything and sees everything in black and white
>normal people
Tries their best to judge people fairly
>intelligent people
Tries not to judge at first glance because they know you can't know everything before getting to know them
>very intelligent people
Knows that stereotypes have roots in truth and statistically are true, but generally avoids trying to label people. However they also know that labels are necessary in a stable community.
>>
>>987868
>you will be able to connect to people who are different from yourself way more easily
Shucking & Jiving, eating watermelon, and failing tests will connect me with people I'm not interested in connecting with.

I you might want to develop this idea.
>>
>>987853
Social constructs are genetic. Even if they are social constructs, they are necessary. Every civilized society on earth has had more taboos than the uncivilized ones. Hierarchy and strong cultures are vital. Or at least they were. Maybe we've surpassed the need for those.
>>
>Tfw you have the typical white dude stereotype

Can't dance for shit and always miss high fives.
>>
>>987945
so you have a small dick?
>>
File: 1442941902774.jpg (86 KB, 533x467) Image search: [Google]
1442941902774.jpg
86 KB, 533x467
>>987924
Reminder
>dumb people
Racist and backwards, will label everything and sees everything in black and white
>normal people
Tries their best to judge people fairly
>intelligent people
Tries not to judge at first glance because they know you can't know everything before getting to know them
>very intelligent people
Posts memes and reaction faces, gets dubs

FTFY
>>
>>987936
>Social constructs are genetic
But they're not. That's why they have to be constructed in the first place.
>>
>>987951
Not really. But then again everybody on the Internet has above average. Not sure where that stereotype came from, since whites don't have small dicks if you look on global statistics. The only countries that have bigger are some Central African countries (East Africans have like 13cm on average or something).
>>
File: one struggle.jpg (10 KB, 268x188) Image search: [Google]
one struggle.jpg
10 KB, 268x188
>>987739
>>
>>987961
Those constructs show up in every society. Hate against homosexuals may be socially constructed, but taboos aren't. All cultures will have taboos because of human nature, which is the ability for us to form groupings which are necessary to keep us united.
>>
>>987977
>one struggle

To fucking learn how to paint, apparently.
>>
>>987695
Humans evolved to be in close contact with a few dozen people in a tribe, only meeting people outside the group during seasonal migrations. Now we have brief contact with a multitude of people and we instinctively view entire groups of people the same way we view 1 individual.
>>
>>987989
Globalism is a cancer.
>>
>>987695
brit here, I concur, if you don't have a mustache and a billycock hat, you arre basically a paki or a mick.
>>
>>987981
Which again doesn't make them genetic at all
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 331x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 331x500
>>987989
Tribes were actually larger than you believe. Social contstructs such as religion and cultural practices became a thing to unite people in larger groups. I assume the other anon read pic related, where the author explains that tribes past 150 members struggle if they do not share something in common.
>>
>>988019
that's not how it works motherfuckers. people don't do things to make things work in their environments. they do things that their environments compel them to do.

ideology is caused by bloated population rather than other way around.
>>
>>988007
But our genetics incline us to create social constructs. I know that Neanderthals did not have larger tribes over 15 members and thus did not need strong cultural practices, also because they were genetically inclined to be in smaller groups. It's also explained in that book >>988019 the anon posted. But hey I'm a layman as well maybe I'm completely off here but that's what the book said.
>>
>>988038
>But our genetics incline us to create social constructs.

We are inclined to react to stimulus in certain ways, but a social construct is a meme in the literal sense of that word to build on our inclinations and propagate a complex idea. It makes use of our genetic inclinations the way mathematics makes use of our analytical thinking without math itself being in our genes.
>>
stereotypes are simply a heuristic humans use to make decisions under uncertainty.
>>
File: 10346454_2ade4b82d2_b.jpg (281 KB, 1024x733) Image search: [Google]
10346454_2ade4b82d2_b.jpg
281 KB, 1024x733
>>987985
MSpaint is the canvas of the revolution.
>>
>>987695
There are lots of situations where you need to judge people. In probably all of those situations you have a lack of information about this person or group. You can only fill that gap based on assumptions.
I think that's the reason why we stereotype and label people.
>>
Not racial groups, no, but groups are groups for a reason. All their members share something in common, sometimes something as insignificant as a favorite TV show, sometimes an entire lifestyle. I don't like hippies because of their lifestyles. I'm sure most of them are nice enough and that they encompass the rainbow of personalities exhibited by the rest of mainstream society, but that one trait is something I can't stand. Therefore, I don't like hippies. It is perfectly reasonable to generalize social groups, for their members chose to associate with one another.
>>
File: 1416784979452.png (28 KB, 450x576) Image search: [Google]
1416784979452.png
28 KB, 450x576
It's not like you're not going to be stereotypical, it's that you defy those stereotypes in addition to being those stereotypes.
>>
>>987695

Stereotypes are a way for the brain to 'process' less information. Overgeneralization in terms of visual and social feedback.
>>
>>988267
I think those boards are shit. That being said that graph is just a meme, there's no proof of anything on that graph besides what we perceive.
>>
File: For Use In Advanced Shitposting.jpg (165 KB, 1303x1306) Image search: [Google]
For Use In Advanced Shitposting.jpg
165 KB, 1303x1306
>>988267
ooh, more advanced shitposting material
>>
File: Nav14da.jpg (58 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
Nav14da.jpg
58 KB, 600x900
>>987695
>If you can't identify with your homosexual Asian neighbour you're less likely to form a close knit community

Let's face it, people will repulse anything that just stands out, the piece of the puzzle that simply won't fit anywhere.
In my country, blacks are an entirely exotic thing, I mean I think just 4 years ago I saw a black guy for the first time in real life and I couldn't help but stare. Why? Because it isn't something I'm familiar with and have the feeling it doesn't belong here.

>Are stereotypes and labeling part of human nature, or just a social construct by the western world as some professors say?
You know the stereotypes do come from somewhere and by somewhere I mean it's most likely the general impression a group of people made after interracting with another. And it does not necessary limit to that. Ever saw someone and simply disliked them simply because of their face? Voice? Behaviour? Probably if you interact with them a little more, those first-impressions may or not be changed, but initially you had a repulse for this individual, either because you met others like him and disliked them, either because he doesn't resemble anything from your sphere and simply consider that "he doesn't fit".

>Often we hear that racism, sexism, stereotyping etc is just for the close minded and dumb people
Correct me if I'm wrong, but being open-minded means that you're willing to hear arguments and consider points given, but you will still make your own conclusion. For example, if you'd stay and argue to me something like "Islam doesn't actually have the most violent followers", I will listen and consider your point of view, but if you don't convince me and I stick to my point of view that doesn't necessary make me close-minded. Sure some will say "But anon, you're mind was set from the beginning". Well it was set up by something, such as facts, statistics and examples. If you're arguments are more solid that what's in my mind then you might convince me.
>>
>>987695
It's just pattern recognizing applied to groups of people
Humans are really good at recognizing patterns btw
Some of them have philosophical/moral/cultural elements though like masculinity and femininity
>>
>>988267
Why do people always put /sci/ so high?
I'm not even a scientist and I can recognize that they don't know much
Most of the board is homework help

I think it's proof that in order to really have discussions about science and math you have to be working on a graduate at the least (or be at that level)
>>
>>987695
Both
>>
File: Titties.jpg (29 KB, 493x350) Image search: [Google]
Titties.jpg
29 KB, 493x350
>>988267
This is such low quality bait. What kind of retard would believe any board has an average 3 standard deviations above the mean.

Nice touch with the fake "Weishaupt's Plateau," German adds a lot of legitimacy.
>>
Its a bandwagon thing. You can unite nations through hate. People with low self esteem aka. THE AVERAGE is inclined to push their coping mechanism onto you or gives you the opportunity to become close to them through badmouthing other people.
Welcome to the shit hole called life.
>>
>>987695
There are no genes for racism

Stereotypes are just heuristics, simplifying tools

Behaviour is a consequence of so much more than genes
>>
There's a reason stereotypes exist, and that's because they have a grain of truth to them.

This is only an uncomfortable fact for people who have lived sheltered lives.
>>
>>987924
>>dumb people
>people that disagree with me
>>super smarty-pants people
>people who agree with me
>>
Racism and xenophobia is natural and normal.
Favorable treatment of blood related people is essential to group survival. Especially in times when resources are scarce and you nee group to help in struggle. Lone poeple de in hard times.
Its just that we now live in times of abundance where loners can easily survive, heck where lone mothers thrive.
>>
Racism is our nature, In fact every social animal has "racism" in that sense they are cautious/aggressive towards another group of the same animal, it's a pack mentality.

In humans we see a strong racial bias in babies, White kids likes to play with the white doll, Black kids with the black doll, It all boils down to recognizing its own type.
>>
>>987695
>Are stereotypes and labeling part of human nature
yes

they are just examples of human beings generalising from the specific, which is something literally everyone does
>>
File: Carl_von_Linné.jpg (2 MB, 1938x2342) Image search: [Google]
Carl_von_Linné.jpg
2 MB, 1938x2342
>>987695
>"Racism was invented by rich Whites to keep poor Whites divided."
>the first thinker to publicly identify White, Black, Asian, and Amerind was groundbreaking zoologist Carl Linnaeus

Not exactly Cecil Rhodes, you know?
>>
Humans have very powerful binary instinct. Or a disposition to think of things in terms of us and them. Stereotypes are a result of this but also serve a purpose too. Discrimination is ultimately a tool, even if it can go too far.
>>
>>988228
Why did the fucker write it in English, isn't that a bit retarded?
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.