[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If the 4th Crusade never happened what are the Byzantine's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
File: 2016-02-22_00002.jpg (784 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-22_00002.jpg
784 KB, 1920x1080
If the 4th Crusade never happened what are the Byzantine's chances of pulling off a Reconquista?
>>
File: 1460423185303.jpg (50 KB, 637x826) Image search: [Google]
1460423185303.jpg
50 KB, 637x826
Dandolo did absolutely nothing wrong
>>
>>981288
What game? EU4?
>>
>>981327
CK2 /gsg/ at /vg/ has all of it in a Mega.
>>
>>981327
Crusader Kings 2
>>981288
Reconquista in which direction?
>>
I'm doing my first playthrough of EUIV right now. I'm Portugal. It's hard trying to violently carve out an empire when you are a little nation with so little manpower. It's like my only option is to just pour all my money into colonizing empty regions.
>>
>>981337

Anatolia
>>
>>981340

>Playing as Portugal
>Wants to make a huge European empire

You're doing it wrong
>>
>>981340
>EUIV
>it's hard

How babby can you get
>>
>>981327
Crusader Kings

And yes, OP, unlikely, but very possible. The trick is for Constantinople to not fall in the first place. As long as the city stood, and all of the wealth pillaged by the eternal Catholic was kept within the walls, Constantinople would have the resources to try to get Anatolia back. Though, and I say this as a staunch Byzaboo, I don't think it would have happened, the quality of the emperors in that particular period was not very good, and the few standouts almost always started needless civil wars instead of focusing on the Truks.
>>
File: yes.jpg (137 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
yes.jpg
137 KB, 1024x576
>>981337
>Reconquista in which direction?
Yes.
>>
>>981340
>Playing as Portugal
>Not Castille
Castille is a better version of Portugal that actually let's you do things other than trade and colonizing.
>>
>>981345
>shitposting
>bullying
This generation and its multitasking.
>>
>>981343
>European empire
As in conquering other European countries? Nah. I'm just colonizing on savages. So far I've created Portuguese Caribbean, Portuguese Brazil, and Portuguese South Africa. I'm also colonizing Taiwan. I tried invading the horn of Africa pretty late and got repulsed by their shear numbers.
>>
>>981352
Portugal is supposed to be better for noobs. No one really declares war on you.
>>
>>981341
>Anatolia
Maybe, but doubtful. By the time of the Fourth Crusade Anatolia was pretty thoroughly Turkized, and you have to remember too that right after the Fourth Crusade came the Mongols.
>West
No chance in hell. South Italy is possible, being that Byzantine Culture hung around for centuries afterward, but anywhere else is a really far stretch.
>>
File: EU3_17.jpg (550 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
EU3_17.jpg
550 KB, 1280x960
>>981347
Back up son
>>
>>981288
If they hadn't been sacked, and they never had long strings of mediocre to bad emps, I think they might have been able to keep Anatolia, the lower Balkans, and Crimea, with constant flux in the between the Black Sea and the Carpathians, and in the Caucasus, but not much else.
>>
>>981392
>Roman Persia

absolutelydisgusting.jpg
>>
>>981392
>going east instead of reuniting the empire
Why
>>
>>981392
Is EU3 being better than 4 a meme? Why do people sperg when you play EU4?
>>
>>981406
Couldnt do it until Westernization, EU3 counts Byzantium as an Eastern tech group for some reason and gives heavy penalties.
>>981404
If it werent for the Muslims youd be eating those words.
>>
>>981413
No, some people just genuinely prefer the mechanics and general look of EU3 to EU4. Mostly because no mana and 2d map.
>>
File: Burgundy Uber Alles.jpg (536 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Burgundy Uber Alles.jpg
536 KB, 1280x960
>>981413
I dont know, I went through this campaign before 4 existed.
Never had the time to relearn all of 4s game mechanics.
>>
Literally 0.
>>
>>981420
>Byzantine
>Eastern
God damn it, Paradox! Rome defined the West!
>>
>>981341
Very tough, but not entirely impossible. They had their chance in 1176, but poor recon allowed Manuel to have his siege train attacked in that ambush. The Byzantines even could've taken advantage of Barbarossa taking the Seljuk capital of Konya, but didn't thanks to Angelos taking over the throne.

>>981387
If Byzantium wasn't divided into squabbling successor states post-1204, it's very likely they could've regained the central plateau after the Mongols annihilated the Seljuks. Remember, the Empire of Nicaea was buffered from the Mongols by the Sultanate of Rum. It's very likely if a forward-thinking Emperor sent tribute to the Il-Khanids, the power vacuum of Anatolia would've benefited them.
>>
>>981454
No, it just influenced it during the very early Middle Ages.
>>
>>981454
The interplay between Rome and the Germans defines the West.
>>
Been playing Victoria II. Is it weird that I managed to make Switzerland a great power?
>>
>>981624
It's called prestige spamming and no.
>>
>>981597
>Germany
>in any way defining the West
WE
>>
>>981583
>it defined the west in the Middle Ages
Yes.
>>
recommend me a good EUIV start country/date
>>
>>982530
> Starting on any date but 1444
Try playing with the papal states and create a true roman empire
>>
>>983054
1444 is shit tough, the game should have started later but doesn't because >muh byzantium
>>
>>983057
Like I said earlier in the thread, I'm doing my first playthrough as portugal. I'm doing a lot of savescumming to see what kind of wars I can win, but otherwise it's going pretty well. I hear the Ottomans is pretty good for newbs too.
>>
>EU

Step it up, faggots: CK is where it's at.
>>
File: 9f6.png (144 KB, 601x590) Image search: [Google]
9f6.png
144 KB, 601x590
>>983080
>CK

Step it up, faggot: Victoria is where it's at.
>>
>>983095
>Victoria
Step it up, faggot: HoI is where it's at.
>>
>>981427
Gorgeous
>>
>>981454
Byzantium is literally the epitome of the traits that define Eastern Orthodox civilization, dumbass
>>
>>983099
>HoI

Step it up, faggot: Darkest Hour is where it's at.
>>
>>983104
Please no bully.
>>
>>981413
Eu3 is a pansy cakewalk compared to 4.
>>
Anyone formed Rome in the new patch of EU4?
>>
>>986326
That's a thing?
>>
>>986360
Yeah, according to the wiki any Christian or Pagan Nation that controls most of the historical Roman Empire can do it.
I'm currently doing a Castile run to try and do it, but conquering France is getting a bit dicey with the alliance network and I'm going to need to kill the ottamans at some point.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.