[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where's a good place to start on reading about the fall
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 9780679423089.jpg (16 KB, 313x400) Image search: [Google]
9780679423089.jpg
16 KB, 313x400
Where's a good place to start on reading about the fall of the Roman Republic and the rise of Julius Caesar, to the rise and fall of the Roman Empire?
>>
http://classics.mit.edu/Caesar/gallic.html
>>
>>978057
Thanks. If I wanted to get that in physical form, would I be able to find one by the same translator? Or are there other good translators for physical editions?
>>
>>978035
History of Rome podcast is pretty great if you don't mind not reading.
>>
>>978111
Yeah I don't mind not reading. Is it the one with Mike Duncan?
>>
>>978035
Caesar's memoirs of the Gaelic Campaigns.
>>
>>978035
Just recently enjoyed reading Scipio Africanus by B.H Liddell Hart. Would recommend if you're interested in Roman history
>>
>>978151
Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out.
>>
>>978155
Not a huge read either, 280 pages with worthwhile perspectives. Pivotal point in Romes history
>>
>>978035
Reading Rubicon The Triumph And Tragedy of the Roman Republic atm, it's very well written and keeps the reader engaged, it also gives a great understanding of not only the good things about the Republic but also goes into detail about the great amount of corruption involved that sewed the seeds for its eventual downfall.
>>
>>978209
Sounds pretty interesting, thanks.
>>
>>978035
A good place to start?

Begin with the classics,

Plutarch's Lives, Julius Caesar
http://classics.mit.edu/Plutarch/caesar.html

Tacitus' Annals
http://classics.mit.edu/Tacitus/annals.html
>>
File: caser.jpg (152 KB, 945x1421) Image search: [Google]
caser.jpg
152 KB, 945x1421
for the first part of your request: this

for the second part: draw your own conclusions
>>
>>978236
>>978256
Thanks.
>>
Read these:

Life of Caesar - Plutarch
Life of Julius Caesar - Suetonius
The Gallic War - Caesar
The Civil War - Caesar
Selected Works - Cicero
The Civil War - Lucan
Julius Caesar - Shakespeare
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.