[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anything that a formal Humanities education in something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: classy daria statue.jpg (18 KB, 365x347) Image search: [Google]
classy daria statue.jpg
18 KB, 365x347
Is there anything that a formal Humanities education in something like history or literature offers that cannot be replicated through independent research? Is formal education of this time just neo-sophistry?
>>
all formal education is basically independent research, what you pay for is someone to point you in the right direction.
>>
>>976739
>independent research?

Just ask an academic question on 4chan and you'll see why that isn't always a good idea.
>>
>>976739
>that cannot be replicated through independent research

What the hell are you talking about?
>>
I'm not sure that's really applicable to lit, or to my field (linguistics), though I do sometimes get the impression that it's pointless to study history at uni due to the fact that there is such a myriad of well-written books one could just read instead.
>>
>>976739
>>976884
This

Also the professor is supposed to challenge your assumptions and question your conclusions.

Overall this focus on creative debate without a set or 'correct' end is one of the lone benefits a Humanities education has over STEM's occasional short-sightedness in finding the 'right' answer.
>>
>>976739
>Is there anything that a formal Humanities education in something like history or literature offers that cannot be replicated through independent research?
no, but this is true for literally every field
>>
>>977496
History comes with a study of historiography and major schools of thought within the topic one studies IME. You'd have to read really broadly to get the experience of the course reader then your individual depth studies, plus it's at uni so it forces intensive study.
>>
The problem with Humanities education is that there's not a self-evident "right" answer so
"independent research" is much more likely to be sophistry than the academy. Having a professor to not only guide you but question your assumptions is crucial and the general level of the confessed self-educated on /his/ only reinforces this
>>
>>977520
Yeah and when someone is interested in a topic they're not going to go into the historiography of it or historiography in general without prompting, which cripples them
>>
No, schools don't offer magic texts or insights which you couldn't just get yourself. Most universities, in fact, started as religious institutions to teach the clergy and the only reason they still exist today is to support the new secular humanist progressive religion.

The reason why feminism, humanism, and egalitarianism are so prevailing in the universities isn't due to any rigor or true understanding of what these ideologies mean or lead to, they are meant to feminize and pacify any true dissent that isn't outright direct action.

They are hypocrites, they never practice what they preach in their personal lives, it's pure virtue signaling.

The few people that can think outside the box try to leave it as soon as they can.
>>
>>977852
lol
>>
>>977858
>+1 Virtue
>>
>>977865
I am signalling virtue on this anonymity-based board for Australian Aboriginal rock art

Well fucking done
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.