[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where did the notion that Democracy is something to strive for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: me.jpg (126 KB, 989x739) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
126 KB, 989x739
Where did the notion that Democracy is something to strive for come from?

Neither the Declaration of Independence nor the Constitution mention the word "democracy", not even once. The founding fathers always wanted a representative republic.
>>
>>976219
It's just America's we wuz ancient greeks n shit meme.

Also people conflating what a democracy is and what a republic is.
>>
>>976219
Cold War.

They tried to spread democracy to counteract communism.

I might be wrong though.

Actual Democracy is a shit system anyway.
>>
>>976219
>we the small group of businessmen and plantation owners in order to form a more perfect union
>>
A republic is a type of democracy, just as direct democracy is a type of democracy.
>>
>>976230
The ironic part is that true marxism is more democratic than Capitalism
>>
File: WhackASpook.jpg (31 KB, 480x400) Image search: [Google]
WhackASpook.jpg
31 KB, 480x400
>>976251

Marxism doesn't work and it's a spook.

Prove me wrong, lefties.
>>
Democracy is having a say in decisions that will affect you.

The system where you vote for a representative who votes for you, or the specific system laid out by the constitution of the United States, is not necessarily something to strive for.

But I can't see why having a say in decisions that will affect you should not be something to strive for.
>>
>>976258
First you have to explain what makes Marxism a spook
>>
>>976258
What do you mean by "doesn't work" exactly?
>>
It's a 20th century idea, it's basically "what's popular" in our times.

>>976230

Started way earlier than the cold war. Try the french revolution.

>>976251

You're retarded.
>>
>>976219
Democracy is okay if you don't have a clause about everyone being equal in law
>>
>>976230
>democracy
>counteract communism

ffs communism is an economic system not a political one, capitalism is the opposite of communism, not democracy. You can have a democratic communist system, and most communist systems claim to be democratic
>>
>>976293
>calling me retarded and not even giving a counter argument
Have you even read the communist manifesto? Stalinism and leninism are quite different from Marxism
>>
>>976258

Marxism meaning....

Following the writings of Marx alone?
>>
>>976251
>true marxism
You mean your utopia that can never be achieved?

>>976293
Either way the Americans started it.

>>976307
Wut?

>You can have a democratic communist system
>most communist systems claim to be democratic
But they're not though.
You can see a lot examples of that.
>>
>>976320
>You mean your utopia that can never be achieved?
I am probably more anti-communiat then you will ever be. But theres seems to be a lot of people on this board who don't understand communism at all or why it failed
>>
Because it was a noble ideal to strive for in the age where most of the world was ruled by monarchs wielding arbitrary power.

Now everyone pays lip service to Democracy because if you don't the US and its lackys sick their human rights watch dog groups on you (unless you're Saudia Arabia)
>>
>>976341
>I am probably more anti-communiat then you will ever be.
I'm not trying to start a contest here, but I doubt that.

Then educate us plebs.
>>
>>976350
Theres a lot of misconceptions it seems so it would probably require it's own thread, maybe I will make one this weekend.
>>
>>976344
The democracies back then were actually functional as well

The big problem with modern democracy is universal suffrage
>>
>>976308
>Stalinism and leninism are quite different from Marxism

>"Nah brah, dat ain' me" the post
>>
>>976388
How so? The least functional modern democracy, America, doesn't even have proper universal sufferage, which cannot be applied without compulsory voting and proper voter education.
>>
>>976307
thats not how the west portrayed it. he was talking about that not being accurate on definitions
>>
>>976492
>which cannot be applied without compulsory voting and proper voter education
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>976492
>proper universal suffrage
Stop meming
>>
>>976320
many and maybe communist systems are very undemocratic but communism and democracy are in no way mutually exclusive
>>
>>976757
*maybe most
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.