[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Poland stay Catholic despite being surrounded by Protestant/Orthodox
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (48 KB, 200x235) Image search: [Google]
image.png
48 KB, 200x235
Why did Poland stay Catholic despite being surrounded by Protestant/Orthodox states? Was it simply a case of >muh national identity or was it something more?
>>
It made significant headway amog the szlachta initially. Something like 25% of nobles in the Sejm at one point. But the Kings remained Catholic and so when the Counter-Reformation go along by the late 16th Century they promoted the new orthodoxy and suppressed protestantism or at least discouraged it to the point that a lot of nobles converted back to the cathlolic church
>>
>>976093
Autism.
>>
>>976231
>It made significant headway amog the szlachta initially. Something like 25% of nobles in the Sejm at one point.
Is "it" Protestantism?
>>
>>976279
yeah sorry. also let me say that protestantism still held pretty strong in "royal prussia," the part of prussia that was ruled directly by the Polish king. (as opposed to ducal prussia which was originally the teutonic state but then converted by the the last grandmaster into a princely state of the hohenzollerns, the future rulers of a united germany under prussian rule)
>>
>>976231
Although it isn't the only reason why nobles might have converted back, the Jesuits and their schools were key in restoring Catholicism.
>>
>>976704
yes
Jesuits= the linchpin of the counter reformation aka catholic reformation aka post-tridentine catholic church
>>
>>976093
They aren't surrounded, though. Look on a fucking map. Czechs, Slovaks and Lithuanians are (were) traditionally Catholic
>>
File: 1460149271279.jpg (81 KB, 440x320) Image search: [Google]
1460149271279.jpg
81 KB, 440x320
>>976093

because Poland is THE BEST country ever

I am a huge Polishboo and hope to visit there some day. I already have an addidas track suit and am a devout catholic
>>
File: Polish-Muslims.jpg (26 KB, 369x277) Image search: [Google]
Polish-Muslims.jpg
26 KB, 369x277
>>976093
> or was it something more?

Adopting Christianity as late as they did, meant the Poles retained their tradition of freedom of religious thought, thus they didn’t feel the need to murder their neighbors just because they believed in a slightly different type of magical mumbo-jumbo.

"...we will keep the peace between ourselves, and we will not,
for the sake of our various faith and difference of church, either
shed blood or confiscate property, deny favor, imprison or banish,
and that furthermore we will not aid or abet any power or office
which strives to this in any way whatsoever..."

-- Confederation of Warsaw 1573 --
>>
>>976754
That is sad m8. I live like 5 minutes from poland and those people are either stupid ultracatholics or drug addicticts.
>>
>>977769
wow, those polish sound like really progressive and tolerant people
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.