[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pontius Pilate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7
File: Pontius Pilate.jpg (31 KB, 213x300) Image search: [Google]
Pontius Pilate.jpg
31 KB, 213x300
He did nothing wrong.
>>
>>975578
He used to be proof the bible was wrong.

Then they found him in history.

Oops.
>>
>>975602

He's still proof it's all nonsense. The idea that a Roman governor would listen to a baying mob is beyond ludicrous.
>>
>>975616
He wasn't a governor.
>>
>>975616
>governor

>I decide what people really did in the past.
>>
>>975616
>Threatening to tell Caesar that you failed to put down a rival King in your territory.

>Not effective extortion.

>Holy fuck are you dumb.
>>
>>975616
>>975630
Along with the fact that he feared Tiberius' wrath upon him if he permitted civil unrest enough that it would devolve into widespread anarchic rioting against the Empire considering how the Pharisees accused Jesus of advocating insubordination against Tiberius and Roman rule as whole, never mind the "render unto Caeser" bit, but it's not like Pilate would've heard that.
>>
>>975578
Because Jesus never existed.
>>
>Be Pontius Pilate
>Some dirty poor fanatic jew come to complain about another dirty poor fanatic jew
>rich romanised jews don't like him neither
>let's just nail him on a cross and get rid of this shit
>>
>>975578
no one has done no wrong
>>
>>975783
Almost.

>let's just give Him a good flogging and get rid of this shit.
>>
>>975812
....and has not been God.
>>
>>975630
If Jesus was a rival a rival king than it's not extortion, it's Pilate doing his fucking job. Are you trying to imply Jesus was guilty?

Besides Caesar was dead at this point and the current ruler isn't going to hear to a bunch of Jews in some shit hole ghetto hundreds of miles away much less take their word over the governor he himself appointed.
>>
>>975578
He clearly did his job wrong since one of his crucifixions didn't take.
>>
>>975616
He wasn't governor, he was prefect

Also, he would be inclined to listen to the mob, because he was walking on thin ice with the populace.

Unlike his predecessors, he didn't respect the Jews religion, and he was near insurrection his while he held office.

Rome didn't like him because he was too harsh, so he had no real support.

He was a military man governing a shithole with no real support. Of course, if the Jews revolted, they could put it down, but not without himself being held responsible for the fuck up.
>>
File: MAX.gif (19 KB, 153x200) Image search: [Google]
MAX.gif
19 KB, 153x200
>>975761
>>
>>976169
All you can do is mock with a fedora.
>>
File: yfw.jpg (44 KB, 395x701) Image search: [Google]
yfw.jpg
44 KB, 395x701
>>976176
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus#Testimonium_Flavianum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus_on_Christ

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/godlessindixie/2014/09/04/an-atheists-defense-of-the-historicity-of-jesus/

>"He certainly existed, as virtually every competent scholar of antiquity, Christian or non-Christian, agrees"

- Bart Ehrman

>"There are those who argue that Jesus is a figment of the Church’s imagination, that there never was a Jesus at all. I have to say that I do not know any respectable critical scholar who says that any more.

- Michael Grant

>"In recent years, 'no serious scholar has ventured to postulate the non historicity of Jesus' or at any rate very few, and they have not succeeded in disposing of the much stronger, indeed very abundant, evidence to the contrary.

- Richard Burridge
>>
>>976187
Because they know Jesus is right about everything so their only recourse is to pretend he didn't exist.
>>
>>976181
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Josephus

All Tacitus proves was that there were Christians who believed what they did at the time he was writing it.

http://theeldridgecritique.blogspot.com/2015/03/jesus-never-existed-my-interview-with.html
>>
>>976187
Most angry, militant atheists on the internet use their belief as a form of rebellion. A lot of them were raised in Christian homes by strict parents, their insecurity about being controlled was what spawned their irrational hatred for the religion.

This is, of course, in part the basis of the fedora meme.
>>
>>976225
>rational wiki
>>
>>976238
>wikipedia
Same shit, bro.
>>
File: laughing-putin.jpg (38 KB, 798x500) Image search: [Google]
laughing-putin.jpg
38 KB, 798x500
>>976225
>rationalwiki
>>
File: Xtreme Fedora.webm (3 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Xtreme Fedora.webm
3 MB, 500x281
>>976225
>http://rationalwiki.org
>>
>>976244
Wikipedia at least claims it's non biased, rational wiki doesn't even have the decency to pretrnd
>>
>>976247
LITERALLY no ONE says anything about Patheos. But since it's rationalwiki and is atheist, it gets laughed at. Fuck off.
>>
>>976254
Same with Patheos. Rationalwiki is just the only place I can find the arguments written out thoroughly.
>>
>>976256
The patheos article was LITERALLY written by an atheist.
>>
>>976265
Patheos is a creationist forum, you retard, of course they let anything supporting their view and agenda.
>>
>>976181
>oral tradition
Prove that there was an oral tradition for the gospels. We don't get the evidence for the oral tradition for the gospels that we get for other oral traditions.
>>
The Bible pretty much goes out of its way to portray him sympathetically, so I never understood why people consider him a villain.

From the Christian perspective, he did what needed to be done. Same goes for Judas too, tbph.
>>
File: Confirmed autists.jpg (127 KB, 494x640) Image search: [Google]
Confirmed autists.jpg
127 KB, 494x640
>>976273
The point is that an atheist author is not biased towards affirming a historical Jesus yet does so anyway because the evidence is persuasive.

It requires more faith to deny Jesus existed than to believe.
>>
>>976295
You can start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_gospel_traditions
>>
>>976295
Also, the part where it says betrayed in the English, it should say delivered up. Paradidomi. There's evidence that Paul's epistles talks about a celestial Jesus with he got through revelation.

>>976306
WHAT EVIDENCE? He's literally going through stuff and not reading it in the original Greek, he's basing what he has off of the English.
>>
>>976323
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_gospel_traditions
That's all speculation, not an ounce of evidence in that damn thing.
>>
>>976335
You do realize a lot of the ancient world's history revolves around speculation?

We have nothing written by Pythagoras but we all think he existed and he is figure that also has tall tails and miraculous episodes attributed to him. Written accounts are about as hard evidence as you can expect.
>>
>>976353
When the speculation is biased, that's when it should be questioned.
>>
>>976326
>WHAT EVIDENCE?

The existence of the church for one. Why would a Christian movement even exist if there was no Christ?

Oh wait, you believe there was a massive conspiracy to invent some random Jewish carpenter and make him God and then everyone fell for it because ancient people were idiots who hadn't been enlightened by their own intelligence yet. Don't worry about the lack of evidence for this conspiracy, just trust me on it there's no way this "Jesus" character could ever have existed!
>>
>>976353
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXou9IcH2BE
>>976367
He started as a revelatory being that people had conversations with in visions.
>>
>>976367
Then he was euhemerized and historicized.
>>
File: HELL.png (2 MB, 1300x1158) Image search: [Google]
HELL.png
2 MB, 1300x1158
>>976380
>>976384
>He also revealed that he is polyamorous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Carrier

I thought we weren't supposed to trust biased speculation?

>b-but just because he's a cuck doesn't mean he's biased against x-tianity!1!!1
>>
>>976363
All historical accounts written down are biased. Especially in the past. Think about how biased the reports of Socrates are. Plato paints him as a Mary Sue and Aristophanes as clown.

I guess we can't conclude Socrates existed since his only writers had a bias eh?

>>976380
>linking a fucking 30 minute video with no comment as an argument
>>
>>976473
And you don't question them?
>>
>>976501
This. When someone's enemies say they exist than it's probably true.

Why would the enemies of Christians want to lend strength to the movement by pretending Jesus existed?
>>
>>976501
Then why in Peter 2 does the author say "We do not follow cleverly devised stories/myths, we were witnesses of his majesty" if there weren't other sects calling Jesus just a cleverly devised story/myth.

Yeah, you have no reason to question it, at all.
>>
>>976524
2 Peter, I mean. Not Peter 2.
>>
>>975677

>Priests
>Pharisees

Why are Christians on this board all so stupid?
>>
>>976547
Sure, I'll believe that asspull.
>>
>>976570
Whatever, nigga. Fuck outta here with that bullshit.
>>
>>976570
Why would he have to say "we were eyewitnesses of his majesty" if it was so sure that he existed?
>>
>>976590
Mind you it says eyewitnesses, not witnesses. Why would he need to specify so hard? If it wasn't about Jesus existing.
>>
>>976602
Why would you need to specify that he was majestic if he was actually a descendant of David the King? We're not talking about his divinity here because it's clear he wasn't divine, if he was divine he would have had access to knowledge people didn't know and he knew nothing about germs that are all around which is why his 'disciples' didn't wash their hands when eating a meal.
>>
he invented a workout technique that keeps some girls in shape so i guess he's alright
>>
>>976909
How does a Roman prefect even manage to find time in his schedule to invent an entire calisthenics programme?
>>
>>976936
When you are a busy Roman prefect or working mom you don't have time to spend hours at the gem. Gem memberships can cost hundreds, even thousands of dollars. Pontinus was like you he worked and worked and never lost a pound.

That's why he invented the EZ Pilate system. With just 10-15 minutes a day you can achieve the body you always dreamed out. His system takes the work out of the work out! It's a proven technique that has been independently verified by Pharisee all over Rome.

What is truth? Pilate's pilate work out system keeps you in shape in just minutes a day! Behold the man, after losing 30 pounds in 30 days!
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.