[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hardcore History
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: HH-current-239x239.jpg (21 KB, 239x239) Image search: [Google]
HH-current-239x239.jpg
21 KB, 239x239
Do any of you listen to this podcast? What do you think of it?
>>
NOT
THIS
THREAD
AGAIN
JUST STOP IT
SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE
>>
>>975022
He's not a historian.
[spoiler] Memes aside he's actually pretty entertaining to listen to, great presenting voice. His podcasts provide good introductions to the topics he discusses. I love his WWI series. Great for listening to on the road. He's not always accurate or might not represent the topic properly sometimes but its not a lecture or anything, just entertainment. [/spoiler]
>>
>>975034
I'm sorry. Didn't know this was a common thread. What is the general opinion of past threads?
>>
>>975167
I'm almost finished with the WWE series and thought it was really interesting. Are any of his other series decent?
>>
>>975180
*WWI
fuck autocorrect
>>
File: 1458113676764.jpg (73 KB, 396x382) Image search: [Google]
1458113676764.jpg
73 KB, 396x382
>>975169
Then lurk more you goddamn tourist.
>>
>>975270
rude person
>>
>>975180
Ghosts of Ostfront is great, I also really like his Spanish-American War and Prophets of Doom episodes.
>>
>>975022
>>>975180
>Ghosts of Ostfront is great

Yep, I really enjoyed Ghosts of Ostfront.
>>
I tried to listen to him, but he just talked about
>why this subject would be a good subject, but still not a obvious choice

Or something like that. So I turned off after 4 minutes
>>
>>975986
He does do the for a good ten to twenty minutes but that's just a small fraction on the subject he's discussing
>>
Ghosts of the Ostfront is utter garbage. I swear every ten minutes came the obligatory "Omg Hitler/Stalin was pure evil amitightguiz?!" His moralizing gets so fucking annoying with regards to WW2. History should be amoral not some coffee spewing about to shit himself former DJ spazzing out God he fucking sucks fuck you OP I'm about to get the death throes of the Republic I'll let you know how it is.
>>
>>975022
Best history podcast. You fuckin haters need to post some that you think are better instead of crying about how "he's not a historian". No shit.
>>
>>976463
So your rebuttal is "hitler/stalin dindunuffin?"

He literally says multiple times in almost every podcast "this is shit I find interesting". That's what you're listening to. No academia. Go kill yourself.
>>
>>976463
>history should be amoral

PFF yeah good fucking luck with that buddy thats a fallacious and illogical pipedream at best
>>
>>975022
>These guys really punch above their weight
>I don't think we can even imagine how they felt
>Is it really fair to judge them by our standards, today?
>You know, I like to imagine
>They came from a higher league
>What it must've been like for them
>>
>>977150
>Is it really fair to judge them by our standards, today?
is it?
>>
>>977155
I don't know, but he says that in every pre-modern episode
>They just couldn't keep up with this kinda stuff
>>
>>975022
Carlin is very entertaining. I love listening to this, the best history lesson you can get.
>>
>>975169
why is it that every person who starts these fucking threads says this same damn thing
>>
>>976463
I nearly turned it off straight away when he said something like "there were no conscientious objectors in Nazi Germany". They existed, just all of them were executed pal
>>
Every time I see this thread I look up Hardcore History and see it's asking me to PAY for a fucking podcast?

Do people really buy these or is there a free version I'm missing?
>>
>>977552
17 or so episodes free on his youtube + piracy
and its like a dollar
>>
>>977593
>its like a dollar
Dan and Ben would love to have it
>>
>>975986
t. ADD teenager
>>
>>977546
That's what he was saying you retard...
>>
>>977735
He continually restates his thesis several times over that ordinary soldiers of both the German and Soviet armies were driven by the "evils" of their leaders, which, both directly and indirectly, absolves them of culpability

t. Christopher Browning
>>
>>975180
Wrath of the Khans. Mongols did some horrific shit throughout their conquests. The episode when he talks about their conquest of the middle east is pretty sad. They fucked it up entirely, effects felt to this very day.
>>
File: wat.jpg (60 KB, 604x578) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
60 KB, 604x578
>>975022
> Do any of you listen to this podcast? What do you think of it?
Tried listening to Ostfront. Was not amused.
>>
File: his podcasts.png (843 KB, 689x1624) Image search: [Google]
his podcasts.png
843 KB, 689x1624
thread over
>>
>>978276
OP asked about this podcast, not what podcast to listen to.
>>
File: 2353---base_image_4.1424269591.jpg (92 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
2353---base_image_4.1424269591.jpg
92 KB, 800x600
>>976463
Bruh....
>>
>>976463

That's not what I said you retard it's just annoying listening to this guy's disclaimers peppered throughout that series and listening to Nazi tidbits kind of explains why he does thay, so he doesn't get hate mail saying "Oh Hurr durr you Nazi/stalinist sympathizer" from the pampered college kids who I assume are his target audience. Besides I already knew about the death tolls on the eastern front so that series didn't have much shock value to me. I really did enjoy 'Countdown to Armageddon' though
>>
>>97646 i
It s amoral for events in older history. Due to this war being relatively recent
It's not gotten that treatment yet. Does Carlin use the terms 'Good and Evil' as much or at all in his podcasts pertaining to ancient history?
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.