[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is there something rather than nothing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: karl-pilkington-net-worth.jpg (20 KB, 300x399) Image search: [Google]
karl-pilkington-net-worth.jpg
20 KB, 300x399
Why is there something rather than nothing?
>>
>>974377
God is eternal, and a creator.
>>
File: 43254.jpg (23 KB, 498x500) Image search: [Google]
43254.jpg
23 KB, 498x500
maybe there isn't
>>
Is this man the greatest philosopher of our time?
>>
File: 20100708.gif (75 KB, 504x668) Image search: [Google]
20100708.gif
75 KB, 504x668
>>974377

Why would there be nothing?
>>
Because of a god damned demiurge GOD DAMMIT.
>>
File: 1460210525599.jpg (395 KB, 1200x1802) Image search: [Google]
1460210525599.jpg
395 KB, 1200x1802
Ex nihilo nihil fit is a self defeating concept.

Imagine true nothingness. Now, something pops into existence. You say "that can't be" but what stopped it from happening in the first place? There would have to be some physical law to prevent that from happening. But would not that physical itself be a thing?
>>
File: 4.jpg (141 KB, 580x386) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
141 KB, 580x386
>>974377
saying "there is nothing" makes no sense.
nothing means the lack of things.
if "there is" anything, than that's not nothing anymore.
>>
>>974377
Nonsensical question. "Why" presupposes an intent, which only humans have. The proper question is "how" which my hypothesis is, there can't be nothing in the first place.
>>
Because I exist to observe it.
>>
>>974546
so if I said "there isn't anything" I'd say the same thing but adhere to your little rule
>>
I don't know, but what I do know is that you are not going to get a decent answer here.
>>
>>974377
We are all memes who were spoken into existence. Unless you force your own meme hard enough, you'll be forgotten forever.
>>
>>974377
You never see an old man eating a twix.
>>
>>974657
what is the reasoning behind this
>>
Why does there need to be a why?
>>
>>974377
idk my bff jill?
>>
Pretty sure it has something to do with the quotient of zero and infinity - nothing over everything - but it may be something that can only be described mathematically, if at all. Conceptually, the idea resolves into solipsism, as you only are able to ask the question because you are something (sort of an anthropic principle as applied to philosophy), and the only "nothing" which can exist would be outside of your ability to experience.
>>
>>974383
And yet here we are.
>>
>Why is there something rather than nothing?
Because nothing is inherently unstable.
>>
>>974377
B-theory of time plus modal realism
>>
File: cia glasses.png (116 KB, 285x294) Image search: [Google]
cia glasses.png
116 KB, 285x294
>Why is there big guy rather than small guy?
>>
>>974377
Why not? Who says there shouldn't be something?
>>
Why not have something instead of nothing
>>
>>974502
Imagine true nothingness. Now, imagine a thing popping into existence.

This cannot be, as the very nature of the nothing would have been false

if it is nothing, there is no potentiality for things to exist. if there is potential, it is not nothing.
>>
that's just how the odds played out

kind of how there is nothing rather than something. the odds of something existing are greater than them not existing
>>
>>977483
Nothing is perfectly stable.
>>
>>979315
>spotted the bloke what flunked Stats101
>>
Maybe it's a false binary, and the essential division which lies at the heart of what simultaneously creates and destroys the universe.
>>
>>974591
Someone else read A Universe from Nothing
>>
What if "nothing" doesn't exist and it is a figment of our imagination ? What if "something" is the only thing possible and everything else just isn't?
>>
>>974377
Nothing can't "be", because if there is nothing then nothing is. But because there are things that are, then there is something.
>>
>>974377

why are there memes, rather than no memes ?
The 13 year old is eternal, and a creator.
>>
Best
Possible
World
>>
>>974377
>>974377
What the hell is nothing? Sounds made up
>>
>>974440
I don't like the panel order. It adds nothing to the comic
eh? EH?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.