[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is the worst ruler in history? It can mean the most incompetent,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 22
File: 1458659653315.jpg (24 KB, 425x313) Image search: [Google]
1458659653315.jpg
24 KB, 425x313
Who is the worst ruler in history? It can mean the most incompetent, or cruel, or whatever else makes a ruler terrible.
>>
File: 4CC Pol.jpg (355 KB, 736x1123) Image search: [Google]
4CC Pol.jpg
355 KB, 736x1123
self-described nationalist here

>lets kill off one of the most financially successful and prevalent groups in our soceity
>while we're at it lets invade all of western europe
>and while we do that, I think the USSR could be easily invaded
>and while we're doing that, I'll go extremely paranoid and totally fuck with my generals and ruin military operations

atleast he loved (most) of his people.
>>
>>970805
>>970873

All leaders after the 1800s.
>>
Hitler

Desired German dominance over the European/North African/Middle Eastern region, but totally wouldn't've minded the absolute destruction of Germany as long as the stronger race (Russians) triumphed. He fought the war less as a general or politician, and more like an ideologue. His policy in Eastern Europe was based on pseudo-scientific theories of race, and on a worse understanding of Evolution than most Americans get from their school system.

He halted stepping up the pressure during the Bombing of Britain to reserve a portion of the airforce to defend Berlin from counter-attacks, entirely because he promised the German people "not one bomb would fall on Berlin" during the war. When he lost interest in the stalemate he turned towards Russia because the final showdown with Jewish-Bolshevism had to happen in his lifetime.

The German high command was routinely in chaos as Hitler replaced any resemblance of organized command with letting his subordinates fight for his favor, theoretically allowing the strongest and best to triumph. Generals were never secured in their assignments, since they'd be replaced if they didn't produce immediate successes on the battlefields.

And don't forget his dismissal of the idea of building German naval power before the war. Britain was the only serious challenger on the European seas, and there's no way two Anglo-Saxon nations would ever fight each other.

He was lazy and neurotic, seized power more through bluff than brawn, thin-skinned and unable to take serious criticism, he conquered a continent that hadn't still fully recovered from the prior war.
>>
>>970884
Yes, but this guy was in the 1900s not the 1800s.
>>
>>970961

>all leaders after 1800
>after
>>
>>970953
Nice bait.
>>
>>970873
>>970953
pretty uninformed choice desu. Hitler was more competent/less insane than pretty much any post-WWII dictator bar a few rare exceptions.

Here are some actual bad rulers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pol_Pot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Mac%C3%ADas_Nguema
>>
>>970733

Commodus. Looted the treasury of a flush continent spanning empire so he could shoot ostritches in the arena and pretend he was Hercules.

Absolute garbage tier.
>>
>>970991
Lol how the fuck is that bait? It's the best post itt
>>
File: 1442185540101.jpg (29 KB, 250x346) Image search: [Google]
1442185540101.jpg
29 KB, 250x346
>>
File: nazigirls.jpg (139 KB, 1246x798) Image search: [Google]
nazigirls.jpg
139 KB, 1246x798
Probably Adolph Hitler.

Because of his policies and actions, the great people (those beautiful blond haired blue eyed Aryan girls and women) was trying to create became rape bait for the Allied armies, while he and his cronies put bullets through their cowardly skulls.

All those lies, all that rape.
>>
Constantine the First
>>
>>973261

Constantine the Great or Constantine the king of Greece?
>>
File: Alfonso_XIIIdeEspaña.jpg (217 KB, 484x715) Image search: [Google]
Alfonso_XIIIdeEspaña.jpg
217 KB, 484x715
>>970733
Probably one of our long list of retarded kings.
>I'm spaniard
>>
Ronald Reagan. He was an actor and has been proven to have had dementia while in office. All that "presidential" shit was just him remembering his lines from that movie where he was president.
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 440x676) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 440x676
>>970733
Nicolae Ceausescu. He even looks like a complete stooge.
>>
File: queen elizabeth.jpg (63 KB, 680x510) Image search: [Google]
queen elizabeth.jpg
63 KB, 680x510
She might not have real power, but I don't think a monarch has ever been worse.

Lost the entire British Empire and now down to 85% British and quickly dropping in her own country.
>>
File: Robert-Mugabe1.jpg (28 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
Robert-Mugabe1.jpg
28 KB, 620x413
Robert Mugabe, really on every single count he has just fucked up his country even worse than anyone else in history

Before Mugabe rule

>Growing colonial nation under British influence, even in the 40's/50's Rhodesian grain was feeding the UK and most of war torn Europe, it was the breadbasket of Africa
>Rhodesia was one of the most modern and developed nations outside the west, even with 15 years of war and UN sanctions living standards were far above the rest of Africa and the communist east and still growing
>In the 70's Rhodesia had one of the most battle hardened and effective armed forces in the world

Post 1980 and Mugabe rule

>Receives the second richest and developed nation in Africa, renames the nation to Zimbabwe
>receives $10billion in UK/US/UN aid since 1980 when he received power
>Genocides 20,000-50,000 native blacks that were against him, hundreds of thousands whites and blacks flee the country
>Corruption becomes rife, without the whites in the farming sector crop production completely flatlines which previously propped up the economy

Current day under Mugabe rule

>armed forces that gets walked over in the Congo by armed militias
>Zimbabwe is the second poorest nation in the world
>Starvation and poverty is widespread
>The UN are still funneling the nation aid to stop mass deaths from hunger

I challenge you to find a leader worse
>>
>>973429
Hitler was worse. No one comes close to Hitler.
>>
>>970873
>says he loves whites
>attempts to conquer all whites
not a nice man/10
>>
>>970953
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>973534
>White being a concept to a nazi

The Poles were fucking phosperecent and they tried to wipe them out.
>>
>>973328
She can't do anything about that
>>
>>970873
Reminder that Hitler's idea of love was wishing his dog got exploded or shot rather then finding a happy home that wasn't his.
>>
>>973429
this tqbh senpai
>>
>>970873
>at least he loved (most) of his people

He was disappointed at his generals for not being war gods that could perform impossible battle strategies and blamed the people of Germany for his failures. That hardly sounds loving.
>>
Mugabe, Pol Pot, or that Spanish king that was so retarded and inbred that he was incapable of functioning as a human being and died at 20 from his body dissolving into goo
>>
>>973275
All Spanish kings sucked balls after Philip II desu
>>
>>970733
Gotta go with Christine of Sweden

> Gustavus Adolphus only child
> Father die fighting for protestants in the 30 year war
> Proceeds to kill Descartes, become a nun and move to Rome
>>
>>973868
She looks like a Jew.
>>
>>970733
Carlos II
>>
>>973868
There were far more worse rulers than her. She was pretty average all around, outside of a diplomatic feat of turning Sweden from "a place in the north that raped and looted everything in their sight during 30-years war" into "a western state" in minds of European nobility, then again, she didn't have to be king to achieve this.

But you can't really say that she screwed something up either, she abdicated peacefully and gave the power in hands of more capable person.
>>
File: honorius.jpg (117 KB, 463x656) Image search: [Google]
honorius.jpg
117 KB, 463x656
DUDE USURPERS LMAO
>>
>>973212
When will this meme end?
>>
>>970733

Many of the most effective rulers in history were cruel beyond belief. Say what you will about violence, it gets shit done.

But your question is interesting. Monitoring...
>>
>>971040
>commodus

This sounds like a real contender for worst ever. Share more anecdotes of his profligacy, vanity and incompetence if you can.
>>
>>973487

Hitler achieved a lot. He fucked it up towards the end due to mental illness, but be was one of the most effective politicians in history. You can't achieve a fraction of what he did and be "the worst leadership in history". The worst leaders in history are the ones most people never learn about because they were inept and lazy and corrupt from the get go. Mugabe is an high profile modern candidate. Kim Jong-il is another. Further back, Ludwig II of Bavaria, Carlos II of Spain, Edward II of England, Commodus, etc.
>>
>>973639
It's only retarded Americans who twisted nazi logic to be all about the mythical ideal of whiteness, because American racism has always been focused on skin color more than anything else since both the black and white populations are such mutts

Nazi ideology is completely regarded in its own way too, but American naziboos take it to a whole new level
>>
>>973429
Is that is attempt at a Hitler mustache?
>>
>>974070
>muh chickens
>>
>>975256
Meant to say retarded not regarded
>>
fucking isaak II of the byzantine empire. worst emperor ever.
>>
>>970953
Wouldn't have, fixed.
>>
>>975294
Why?
>>
Nero desu lads
>>
>>970733
God I hate Alexander. Single player in general

>hurr durr war at turn 70 guaranteed playing Immortal or Deity
>>
File: 1454565613714.jpg (69 KB, 600x411) Image search: [Google]
1454565613714.jpg
69 KB, 600x411
>>973822
Goo. Lost it.
>>
>>970953
this desu
>>
>>975402
>The physician who practiced his autopsy stated that his body "did not contain a single drop of blood; his heart was the size of a peppercorn; his lungs corroded; his intestines rotten and gangrenous; he had a single testicle, black as coal, and his head was full of water."[12]
>>
Phocas, Andronicus I
>>
>>970873
>not killing the Jews outright
>invading Soviet Union
>not listening to Generals
Biggest mistakes right there.
>>
>>975450
Dude barf.
>>
>>970991
How the fuck is that bait? Oh I forgot, you're a /pol/tard. Fuck off /pol/tard.
>>
>>973545
Fuck off, /pol/tard
>>
>>973429
Oh shit. Can't really disagree with this. He even has a toothbrush mustache so saying Hitler is worse is invalid.
>>
>>973429
Jean-Jacques Dessalines is worse. Word getting out about the genocide of the white French basically sealed Haiti's fate. It's been a failed state for two centuries.
>>
I think it would be more intestine to decide who the worst ruler that had good intentions/was generally a decent person was. Like, the ruler that meant well, but was just either totally unequipped for their time or just unkmowingly incompetent.
>>
>>976172
Charles II of Spain
>>
>>970733
Pretty much any leader put in by thirsty authoritarians.
>>
>>971026
>Hitler was more competent/less insane than pretty much any post-WWII dictator bar a few rare exceptions.

that just speaks to the quality of dictators post-WW2 then. Just because Pol Pot, Mao and a dozen assorted African dictators were awful doesn't make Hitler a good dictator. Hitler was still shit, it just that those that came after him were even shiter
>>
>>975334
Not him but Isaac was a disaster in every way imaginable. Oppressively taxed the citizens, then used that money on expensive and pointless building projects. His military adventures were a disaster causing the empire to lose even more territory to the likes of the Bulgarians and Normans. He outsourced naval affairs to the Venetians which basically destroyed the Byzantine navy. He also agreed to help Saladin and worked to slow down Frederick I Barbarossa during the Third Crusade. He was so thoroughly hated that he was usurped while out hunting and this action led to his son fleeing Constantinople eventually coming into contact with Boniface of Montferrat, promising him the moon if they helped deal with the usurper and thus bringing the Fourth Crusade to Constantinople and basically putting the final nail in the coffin of the Byzantines.
>>
Can I say King John?

>petty, spiteful and cruel
>despite reforming England and having some early military victories, he basically started failing very hard
>pissed off all of his barons, even the badass William Marshal (Only Marshal was willing to help this spiteful little cunt because he is The Knightiest Knight Who Ever Knighted.)
>literally forced into signing the Magna Carta
>famously called "Lackland" and "Softsword"
>modern depictions of him does not talk about his acheivements, only his character and incompetence
>>
>>976172

I would repeat Commodus.
>>
>>973328
Honestly a very poor choice. BTW, either her grandsons or the relatively recent offspring of Kate and Prince Will have some Indian blood due to muh colonialism
>>
>>970733
Mao
>>
>>976172
Konrad Wallenrod from poland then
>>
Enver Hoxha
Bankrupted his country, destroyed acres of good land and ruined the care of his people by building loads and loads of useless bunkers
>>
>>973868
I didn't realize Christine was disease incarnate
>>
>>976603
>>976603
and this thread is about the worst one
>>
>>973272
He's most likely a fedora
But Constantine of Greece was an aweful ruler 2bh.
>>
>>976172
Simon Bolivar

He was a capable commander but god he sucked as a politician. He fucked up and he knew it.
>>
>>973328
that was never really her fault though

even Victoria was a figurehead and nothing more
>>
>>970733
>>976172
Easily Mao Zedong
>>
>>973254
what if rape of german women was the end game anyway ?
he might had cuckold fetish like /pol/
>>
>>973487
>Hi, I'm 15 and I don't know anything else about history.
>>
>>973287

Underrated. Has to be one of the worst.

Or maybe mugabe.
>>
>>970953
>there's no way two Anglo-Saxon nations would ever fight each other.
Do you even know why it was called a Second World War?
>>
>>981004
he's speaking from the point of view of Hitler
>>
>>977637
>>978698
Even though he was extremely bad and horrendous both for enemies and supporters, he succesfuly made China truly independent from foreign influence (apart of obvious gommunism) and created the base (physically and psycollogically) for the new, internal production for export scheme under the rule of a massive all controlling state
>>
>>973328
Fuck you Elizabeth is great.
>>
>>978784
Yeah man Jewish farmers and peasants in Poland were to blame.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (135 KB, 1221x840) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
135 KB, 1221x840
>how you want your population senpai?
>>
File: 1457482940370.png (157 KB, 480x459) Image search: [Google]
1457482940370.png
157 KB, 480x459
To be honest, not the worst ruler, just damn incompetent for the position.
Nicky did nothing wrong.
>>
>>975185
He tried to rename the 12 months after his 12 names, and rename the capital city and whole empire after himself.
>>
>>970733
its without a doubt Mao, he makes hitler look like a genocide boy scout
>>
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Kim dynasty?

You know, poverty, labor camps and such.
>>
>>973864
Ferdinand VI was cool.
>>
Henry VII was a notoriously big shitter was he not?
>>
>>977668
Will have to agree. Any cultural traits practiced for ages by the people were also suppressed and Albania was basically North Korea of Europe. It was better off as a client state of Nazi Germany to be honest.
>>
Whatever one that was so shit we don't know about him.
>>
File: 55.jpg (202 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
55.jpg
202 KB, 768x1024
>>970733
This inbred fuck, although all Habsburgs were inept retards desu.
>>
File: Flavius Honorius Augustus.jpg (18 KB, 120x242) Image search: [Google]
Flavius Honorius Augustus.jpg
18 KB, 120x242
>>970733
>>
>>970991
You have to go back.
>>
>>973254
From left to right:
6,5/10 - 5/10 - 4,5/10 - 4/10, 6,5/10 - 4/10
>>
>>973254
>Aryan
This word does not mean what you think it means.
>>
File: Mao.jpg (455 KB, 689x912) Image search: [Google]
Mao.jpg
455 KB, 689x912
>Just fuck my culture, my neighbors culture, my economy and my food supply up
>>
>>987513
>Naziboos fucking up the historical definition of the word Aryan is one of the most annoying things they've done
>>
>>973212
>neckbeard
>>
>>970733
they really went out of their way to make him look like brad pitt for some reason
>>
>>987520
He still modernized the country and the Great Leap caused a MASSIVE increase in an average length of life in China. Better than Hitler just because of that.

My personal choices - Poland edition:
>Władysław of Varna (let's go on a crusade and fuck up almost everything)
>Sigmundus III Vasa (bringing Poland into his dynastic shit and giving up on the Russian throne because he was a fanatic Catholic)
>John Casimir Vasa (he fucked up almost everything, and it was a miracle that Poland survived his reign)
>Michael Wiśniowiecki (notable for nothing except turning Poland into a Turk vassal state and choking on an apple)
and finally...
>anyone who ever approved Warsaw Uprising to take place
>>
>>987659
along with ruining the bad ass swastika
>>
>>973822
>"short, lame, epileptic, senile, and completely bald before 35, he was always on the verge of death, but repeatedly baffled Christendom by continuing to live."
kek
>>
>>978825
at least he's trying
>>
>>981183
I truly feel for that entire family. Just wrong place, wrong time.
>>
>>975450
I feel like they should've gotten a second opinion.
>>
>>973822
>Spanish king that was so retarded and inbred that he was incapable of functioning as a human being and died at 20 from his body dissolving into goo
That wasn't his fault!
>>
File: Caligula[1].jpg (373 KB, 699x639) Image search: [Google]
Caligula[1].jpg
373 KB, 699x639
The original shit ruler
>>
>>973534
Hitler fought for the German, not the White.

He probably held the White man above the Black man, sure, but he held the Hun above all else.

Hitler was not a Klansman, he didn't just care about being white.
>>
>>982774
He was a retard who lost the entire colonial empire, anon.
>>
>>991390
how did he do that?
>>
Charles I of England is up there
>>
>>970733
Hitler is the obvious answer but lets go with Idi Amin.

>mentally unstable
>bestowed upon himself the title of "His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular"
>claimed to be the uncrowned king of Scotland
>possible cannibal
>wrote a "get well soon" card to Nixon after Watergate
>killed 300000 of his own people in 8 years
>ruined Uganda's economy through outrageous military spending
>>
File: 18_expo_franca.jpg (52 KB, 600x383) Image search: [Google]
18_expo_franca.jpg
52 KB, 600x383
>>991447
His father and him let the Grande Armée enter Spain because they were very clever. So Napoleon captured both of them, gave the spanish crown to his brother and conquered Spain without fighting a single shot.

After the guerrilla and Wellington managed to free Spain, Ferdinand abolished the constitution because muh divine right and executed the patriots (you know, the people who actually led the fight against the french while he was having tea parties in Paris). During that period most of the colonies claimed independence, because Ferdinand was unwilling to reform despite the fact that he could not actually enforce shit in the Americas, due to the french occupation.
>>
>>989371
>Great Leap caused a MASSIVE increase in an average length of life in China

Did it?
>>
>>991493
That's Ferdinand VII. I said Ferdinand VI.

Ferdinand VII is the worst king in the history of Spain. Way worse than poor Charles II.
>>
>>973868
I thought Descartes died because he got pneumonia?
>>
>>971046
>>975559
>>987498
>>
>>991861
He got pneumonia staying in a frozen little shack while tutoring her.
>>
>>973487
You sure have a hard on for Hitler.

At least prior to the war Germany recovered and prospered.
Germany also made great strides in technological achievement, Germany almost beat the Soviets had the US not been propping them and the UK up.
>>970953
This fucking retard.

>And don't forget his dismissal of the idea of building German naval power before the war.

What, so they could get curbstomped by the combined US/UK Navy? You fight with your strengths, not your weaknesses.
>General command was in disarray
Bullshit.
>>
>>991487
>and Uganda in Particular"
kek
>>
King Harlaus
>>
File: Spurdo Butter.png (36 KB, 853x543) Image search: [Google]
Spurdo Butter.png
36 KB, 853x543
>>993204
t. Rhodok
>>
File: 1431696836652.png (2 MB, 1065x902) Image search: [Google]
1431696836652.png
2 MB, 1065x902
>>993216
>>
>>973429
Zimbabwe is notable in how far it's declined, but it's still a lot better than a lot of other places in Africa. Zimbabwe is still more or less an open countries with open borders, which hasn't devolved into civil war or anarchy.

There's a long list of much worse African countries to live in.
>>
>>993303
...the difference is that those other countries were always terrible places.
>>
File: NatSoc BTFO.png (193 KB, 1344x925) Image search: [Google]
NatSoc BTFO.png
193 KB, 1344x925
>>991993
>>
>>993303
That and it was less him that causd the downturn, more the unholy alliance between east and west to bring down a prospering country because of "muh colonialism"
>>
>>976213
A competent ruler despite muh incest
>>
>>991536
Yes
>>
Edward 2nd of England , invaded Scotland to keep up his fathers legacy, let his army starve and got an army of 25000 routed by 5000 Scots.

Might have made a good artist or writer, but he was a shitty king.
>>
>>973868
Swede here. Pretty much the worse ruler in our history, besides the danes we had under the Kalmar union, imo.
>>
>>991896
>shack

Was really that he lived in the same castle as her, but his body not as used to the cold
>>
>>970953
> he conquered a continent that hadn't still fully recovered from the prior war.
But Germany was at the center of WW1 and he helped them recover. That is a terrible argument.
>>
>>970733
That nigger from Rhodesia.
Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.