[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the Enlightenment so shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7
File: englightenment-hero-H.jpg (693 KB, 1389x454) Image search: [Google]
englightenment-hero-H.jpg
693 KB, 1389x454
Why is the Enlightenment so shit?
>>
>>969945
because /his/ is evolachan
>>
File: 7641889_f260.jpg (21 KB, 260x333) Image search: [Google]
7641889_f260.jpg
21 KB, 260x333
what makes it shit
>>
>>970040

Muh traditional morals
Muh monarchy
>>
>>969945
Because it leads to the current conception of "social progress".

About the only thing worse is the feudal bullshit preceding the Enlightenment.
>>
>>970040
Because crowdsourcing power instead of a single powerful individual is atrocious, especially when the individuals believe themselves to be enlightened when they are just degenerates.
What is so rational about allowing in foreign invaders who share zero ideals with you?
>>
Brought us capitalism and liberal economics

While you're evolaposting on /his/, I'm gonna go use my private capital to accumulate money for my children

Conservacucks can kiss their Majesty's soles
>>
It bought us good things such as the more advanced concept of nation.
>>
>Enlightenment
>bad

I fucking hate Christcucks
>>
>>970129
>Current year
>He fell for the marriage meme
>>
>>970102
>I'd rather have my country run by an unaccountable egomaniac rather than a government that's accountable to the will of the nation
Cuck
>>
>>970151
but muh leviathan
>>
File: you on the right.jpg (61 KB, 560x224) Image search: [Google]
you on the right.jpg
61 KB, 560x224
>>970144
>I AM THE ENLIGHTENED MAN IT IS MY DUTY TO ILLUMINATE THE REST WORLD BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE IS OBJECTIVELY LESS ENLIGHTENED THAN ME
>>
>>970151
>I'd rather leave my fate to a pack of squabbling bureaucrats who have no sense of unity.
>I'd rather not place my faith in a Monarch who is called by God to serve the people and speak on our behalf; much like how Pastors are called to their vocation to help the congregation with their relationship with the Lord.
>>
>>970162
>spoiled hereditary monarchs feel humility, service, and responsibility to and for God

Top mem
>>
>>970160
Actually enlightened people aren't like that, retard
>>
>>969945
>butthurt romanticist

don't you have a boat to drown in Percy?
>>
>>970162
What makes you think monarchs have ever been especially devout or God-fearing people? Have you ever read any history?
>>
>>970162
Better hope that all mighty ruler isn't an autistic shit that gets his thrills molesting little boys.
>>
>>970196
>hasty generalization
>>
>>969945
Because Humanism is garbage.
>>
File: 1443997371968.gif (2 MB, 230x175) Image search: [Google]
1443997371968.gif
2 MB, 230x175
>>970162
>I've-never-read-any-history the post
Yes, all monarchs are god-fearing and benevolent. Now stand aside, peasant, the king demands you let him consummate your marriage.
>>
>>969945
Because someone thought trying to force reason on unreasonable creatures was a good idea.
>>
>>970219
>the king demands you let him consummate your marriage.
There is no historical record of this actually happening, it's just a historical meme.
>>
>>970169
Yeah they do, cause they face revolutions and responsabilities. Bureaucrats just change jobs or affiliation.
>>
>>970219
>the king demands you let him consummate your marriage.
Tumblr-tier history, kill yourself.
>>
Medieval vs Renaissance,
Baroque/Reformation vs Classical/Enlightenment
Romantic/Humanist vs ?

Is Modernism just industrial Romanticism? Is Post-Modernism just ultra-Modernism? Then what's the follow-up to the Enlightenment, nothing yet?
>>
>>969945

Because you're a religious fanatic.
>>
>>970489

fag fanatic
>>
>>969945
DELETE THIS THREAD
>>
>>970516

I don't give a shit about homosexuality tbqh. I don't consider it an important issue.
>>
File: rodney stark.jpg (72 KB, 847x605) Image search: [Google]
rodney stark.jpg
72 KB, 847x605
>>970040
BECAUSE IT WEAKENED THE POWER OF THE CHURCH

EUROPE EXPERIENCED IT'S HIGHEST LEVELS OF PEACE AND PROSPERITY WHEN THE CATHOLIC CHURCH HAD A MONOPOLY OVER THE DEALINGS OF EVERY ASPECT OF SOCIETY
>>
>>970526

ok homoman
>>
>>969945
>People preferred to cut all their hair and use gay wigs instead of actually washing themselves
do you really wanna know?
>>
>>970531
horseshit.

Medieval Age was full of wars between monarchs for clay or the crown. All sanctioned by the Church. Because the church didn't care, as long as they got their tithe.
>>
Enlightenment was great though. I just wish it didn't romanticise the Renaissance so much.
>>
>>970554

The Church was the only institution for knowledge and learning back in the Dark Ages. It actually helped.

As for conquests, war advances nations, as if you were that nation you'd want to have every parcel of information possible to triumph over your enemy. War also helps.

Therefore the Anon who posted the graph is right. I have a feeling you're an SJW redditor btw.
>>
>>970531
Does anyone have the version of this that goes way back and has our projected progress if we never found fire?
>>
>>970582

>if you don't agree with me you're definitely from another website and are a leftist

/his/ doesn't work like that /pol/io
>>
File: timeline.png (44 KB, 500x539) Image search: [Google]
timeline.png
44 KB, 500x539
>>970589
Best I could do la
>>
>>970626

I don't agree with you, yes, you're right. But I said you're probably a redditor and a leftist. I wasn't for certain, if I was for certain I'd be calling you out like /pol/.

Which I'm not. So don't ever compare me with /pol/. And besides, I'm right anyways, what you said was complete utter hogwash.
>>
>>970642
This isn't what was asked for at all.
>>
>>970582
Having a monopoly on education and literacy doesn't make you the good guys, especially when you don't share it with your illiterate congregation
>Widespread literacy couldn't have been done before the printing press!
They could've at least gotten 10%, like the Romans did. Christendom was more peaceful, educated, and sophisticated than the ancients were after all.
>>
>>970667

Okay so you refuted me, great job. Now I know more.

That's all you had to say instead of the >"/his/ doesn't work like that /pol/io" comment, buddy.
>>
>>970160
Seems more like the monarcuck, tbqh.
The hypereactionary advocate of absolute monarcucky we see on /his/ is in all likelihood genuinely autistic, and so has difficulty relating to others, difficulty with empathy, he is more likely to see people he disagrees with as stupid sheep. If he believes he is objectively correct then, naturally, he believes, a monarch trained from birth will behave in completely rationally and rule in this objectively correct manner that happens to align with the autist's own beliefs about policy. or so it goes.

The normie republican understands that people have differing views and that the individual is fallible and not correct all of the time;that concentrating power in an elite risks corruption as people aren't perfectly rational beings, and that democracy, while flawed, is the best current solution to make governance accountable.
>>
File: snippy.png (64 KB, 1034x614) Image search: [Google]
snippy.png
64 KB, 1034x614
>>970700
That wasn't my comment tho
>>
>mfw reactionaries on my /his again
>mfw no face

I can't wait for the day that the left pushes so hard we have kids unironically spraying monarchist graffiti on walls like VIVE LE ROI and shit.
>>
>>970764

I know, I just hate how this place is always a reddit vs. /pol/ battleground and innocent /his/torian bystanders get fucked over.

I wish both would leave.
>>
>>970323
>>970342
The fact that it existed in law, regardless of it's actual use, is reason enough to call any monarchist a cuck
>>
>>970652
It's the best he could do though
>>
>>970743
>concentrating power in an elite risks corruption
>implying that's not what "democracies" and "republics"
I'm using quotation marks because the usage of these words has nothing to do with what they mean
>>
>>970810
But it didn't exist in law, you fucking drooling retard
>>
>>970910
>A republic (from Latin: res publica) is a sovereign state or country which is organised with a form of government in which power resides in elected individuals representing the citizen body and government leaders exercise power according to the rule of law.
No?
>>
>>970212
>an actual hasty generalization
>>
>>970820
That's not good enough
>>
>>970916
>Using insults to hide the fact that you're wrong
I'm not sure whether to point you to /pol/ or Reddit, but really as long as you leave this board the quality will improve.
http://his.library.nenu.edu.cn/upload/soft/haoli/115/458.pdf
>>
>>970219
>Accuses anon of not reading history
>Repeats long-disproved Enlightenment propaganda about the droit du seigneur

Idiot.
>>
Forget all these answers about how republicanism or secularism are bad for a moment. Those things aren't the real reason the Enlightenment was shit. The Enlightenment was shit, because of two little ideas. Two, simple, little ideas, that are the thorn in the side of civilization even to the present day.

The first idea, is tabula rasa. The idea that every mind comes into the world, blank, empty, and exchangeable.

The second idea is equality. The idea that people are, or ought to be, equal in some fashion, especially in ability or merit.

These two ideas, taken together, have resulted in more mass genocide and bloodbaths than almost anything seen on this earth before the Enlightenment, because together they gave way to the lie of large scale, social engineering. The idea that you could produce a perfect ideology, and then mold all your fellow men like clay, cradle to the grave, to accept and embody your ideals.

The Enlightenment gave way to the great era of disastrous social experiments, the likes of which the earth had not really seen before. Communism, Nazism, the French Revolution, even more recent issues such as 'social justice' and mass immigration, all in some way or another stem from the vise grip these ideas, especially tabula rasa, has on our minds and the minds of our leaders.
>>
>>971133
But man has been trying to create a perfect society since the dawn of man.
>>
>>971133
of course everyone isn't equal. you've simply strawmanned the idea of equality into that of SJW's and communists. it was about equality before the law, which is a completely different matter
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.