[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Obelisks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8
File: Place_de_la_concorde.jpg (232 KB, 792x592) Image search: [Google]
Place_de_la_concorde.jpg
232 KB, 792x592
The list of the greatest cities of history is the same as the list of cities outside of ancient Egypt that have an ancient Egyptian obelisk standing within:

- Rome
- Constantinople
- Paris
- London
- New York

But what does it mean?
>>
why, mysterious mason spoops of course
>>
>>967563

It means that they don't want to return ancient Egyptian artifacts, despite being asked and harangued by Egypt (or more accurately, Zahi Hawass).
>>
File: ISIS_VANDALISM_STAT_867333a.jpg (178 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
ISIS_VANDALISM_STAT_867333a.jpg
178 KB, 1024x576
>>967577
Well thank fucking God for that, at least something from ancient civilisations might survive.
>>
>>967563
>But what does it mean?
Phallic power to project onto the world stage.
>>
>>967587
>Egypt
>Shows picture from terrorists in Syria
>>
>>967617
Yeah because ISIS and Islam only exist in Syria.

BTW the Cairo museum was looted and vandalised in 2011.
>>
>>967563
Obelisks are simple to make, relatively cheap monuments that have a history of being associated with great cities, so every city that wants to present itself as great inevitably builds one. It's pretty simple.
>>
>>967662
Bitch those weren't built, they're original ancient Egyptian obelisks brought from Egypt.
>>
File: obelisk paris.jpg (2 MB, 2307x3236) Image search: [Google]
obelisk paris.jpg
2 MB, 2307x3236
Paris one is the best.
>>
white obelisk
>>
>>967563
Simple. They're the missing dicks of Osiris.
>>
File: 1074_15.gif (30 KB, 468x240) Image search: [Google]
1074_15.gif
30 KB, 468x240
So Consperitards may have something to bitch about.
>>
>>969982
BIG
>>
>>967671
Not that anon but I had no idea about this. I thought cities just liked having obelisks.
>>
>>967577
Zahi Hawass was some prime time crook. Is he in prison yet?
>>
File: Clinton Monument.jpg (57 KB, 706x540) Image search: [Google]
Clinton Monument.jpg
57 KB, 706x540
>>
>>971890
Most obelisk type monuments are modern, like the Washington Monument. It's just those five cities in the OP that have a real one.
>>
>>967563
It means those cities are incredibly wealthy and influential, the seat of empires (NYC technically isn't the legal core of the US but it might as well be from a cultural perspective).

What do you do when you have excess cash and are drunk on power? Ridiculous gestures of decadence. So you literally relocate an architectural feat from a long dead world power and stick it in your city. The fetishistic pseudo-mythologizing that people do with anything Egyptian is just icing on the cake. My name is Ozymandias, king of Kings etc.
>>
Or, if you like, take the anatomy of your menhir, which your authors are always talking about. Standing up during the day, lying down at night—your thing, too. No, don’t tell me what it does at night. The fact is that erect it works and prone it rests. So the vertical position is life, pointing sunward, and obelisks stand as trees stand, while the horizontal position and night are sleep, death. All cultures worship menhirs, monoliths, pyramids, columns, but nobody bows down to balconies and railings. Did you ever hear of an archaic cult of the sacred banister? You see? And another point: if you worship a vertical stone, even if there are a lot of you, you can all see it; but if you worship, instead, a horizontal stone, only those in the front row can see it, and the others start pushing, me too, me too, which is not a fitting sight for a magical ceremony...”

- Umberto Eco, "Foucault's Pendulum"
>>
>>972882
why are modern ones not real?
>>
>>973002
Because the originals apparently had specific religious and astronomical functions which the modern one, mere ornaments that they are, lack.
>>
File: Frihedsstøtten1.jpg (267 KB, 1200x1575) Image search: [Google]
Frihedsstøtten1.jpg
267 KB, 1200x1575
>>967563
Copenhagen one is best
>>
File: 1448626370856.jpg (40 KB, 476x720) Image search: [Google]
1448626370856.jpg
40 KB, 476x720
>>973301
Copenhagen even got their own tower of Babel.
>>
>>972350
>not LBJ Monument
>>
>>973344
He's still an active player, usually they don't build a monument to a player before he's retired.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.