[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rome into ruins or marble?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: 266.png (747 KB, 2000x1468) Image search: [Google]
266.png
747 KB, 2000x1468
It's 117 AD, the height of the great Roman Empire. The course of history is thrown off as a bloody civil war breaks out between Trajan the current emperor, Hadrian the chosen successor, and none other than you, a powerful general that has won over the people and a few legions. After many battles, you come out victorious and seize the throne from Trajan, killing him and Hadrian. As the new emperor of Rome, the legions and people on your side, what are your first moves?
>>
>>966296
Abodon as many unhodable positions as possible. Drill the armies into shape by constantly raiding the neighboring territories except Persia. Try centralizing more prestige and God like status in emperor without becoming a tyrant. Make succession laws permanent as I can.
>Get assasinated
>>
Create a dynasty then split the empire among my sons in my will

Fun ensues. Great fun
>>
Well operating under the assumption I'm Roman, probably rub olive oil all over my dick then fuck a child slave.
>>
File: commodus_hercules_close.jpg (28 KB, 439x510) Image search: [Google]
commodus_hercules_close.jpg
28 KB, 439x510
>>966296
Off the top of muh head ummm ...

Abandon any era that is indefensible.

Make alliances with provincial elites and try to displace senatorial Roman class.

More social mobility and meritocracy in terms of administration, military and economic position.

Everyone has to learn Latin, public schools to teach Latin.

Less money on extravagance, more on infrastructure, education and military, especially medical research in military camps and city construction.

Organize an Interpretatio religious Canon to bring everyone into the fold.

Set-up puppet client kingdoms along the borders of the empire as a buffer.

Make peace with the Persians as best one can.

Taxes most be paid in gold, force subsidence farmers to grow and trade if even alittle bit.

End slavery and settle romanized slaves in least roman regions and do grunt work.

Debt forgiveness or subsidies so peasants love the emperor and wont welcome the barbarians.

Clear up succession and cleanse the elite of political enemies.

outlaw the concept the generals are in-charge of securing veterans pensions and lands. Only the Emperor can grant lands and pay subsidies. Increases responsibility but the mens first loyalty most be to the Emperor and not upstart generals.

Social reform to stop some stringent customs. The new religion will play a part to encourage productive nationalist behavior.

Fuck many young boys and girls.
>>
Restore the republic
Abandon Britain
Conquer and slaughter the Germans
>>
ITT so far:
>kill hadrian
>become hadrian
>>
>>966296
Build a giant golden statue of myself.
>>
Offer Hadrian to buy me out. Make sure to be sacrosanct so people won't touch me. Settle in North Africa with tons of slaves and a few bodyguards. Worked for Sallust, will work for me.
I am not a greedy man.
>>
>It's 117 AD
>the height of the great Roman Empire

Choose one.

Rome was already long in decline by this date. Territorially it was expanding, yes, but social decay had been in motion since the death of Augustus. The British Empire was at its territorial peak in 1922 post-WW1 but likewise I'd daresay it was at its zenith.
>>
>>966296
Put as many women into power as possible.
>>
>>968184
>social decay
What does that even mean?
>>
File: Cv; 1.gif (1001 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
Cv; 1.gif
1001 KB, 480x480
>>966296
Convert to Christianity
>>
>End slavery
>Support medical reforms to try and avoid childhood deaths and mothers dying in childbirth
>Try and spread the Lain population excess throughout the Empire
>Standardize Latin and have its proper use taught throughout the Empire to Latins and non-Latins
>Promote ideas like loyalty to the Empire and the Emperor to all citizens
>Sanitation systems is mandatory in all cities and towns
>Building regulations to ensure urban squalor is avoided
>Building regulations to ensure fire is avoided
>Set up police and fire departments
>Try and create as much land for farming as possible throughout the Empire
>Have both military and civil governors of provinces swapping randomly every year or so (hopefully they don't cover up corruption for one another)
>Establish military and civil schools open to all educated subjects and make purchasing a commission impossible
>Try and have every settlement walled with stone

I dunno if it would help but my hope is to make the Empires population larger than all external threats combined and to make all my people xenophobic to ensure an "us" before "them" to try and avoid civil war. Also to weaken the aristocracy.
>>
>>966296

Make a law that abolishes slavery.

Make ppeace with literally everyone the empire has pissed off.

Marry a Jew.

Shape up the fucking legions.

Learn more about philosophy. Appoint capable people to run the empire.

Learn about what is causing the social decay and try to arrest it.

Fuck my Jew wife.

Learn about this hot new religion called Christianity.

Enshrine freedom of religion.

Not fuck slave kids.
>>
>>968252
>Lets speed up the fall of rome!!!

Sickening tbqh
>>
>>966336
Thanks,Charlemagne
>>
>>968292
Not him, but as soon as the certain class of people that kept the system either went away or stopped following the customs or behaviors that kept them successful, the society suffers under the new group of people that take over. Roman generals became more and more barbarian with little interest in the security of the state.

Although I think bankruptcy has more to do with this then some spiritual matter.
>>
File: hubbert_imperial_peak_spain.jpg (74 KB, 475x475) Image search: [Google]
hubbert_imperial_peak_spain.jpg
74 KB, 475x475
>>968660
>>
>>966296

This is not /tg/
>>
This is stupid, everything was fine in that time. Better question is what would you do if you succeeded Aurelius
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.