[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Brinkmann's reconstruction of how classic Greek statuary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 14
Is Brinkmann's reconstruction of how classic Greek statuary was painted accurate or do you image he's made them appear significantly more gaudy than they truly were?
>>
Definitely more gaudy. No way someone spends the time learning to craft those statues then painted them like a child.
>>
It's a reproduction of the first coat, not the final painted item. Given that color was inherently precious they were probably more gaudy than we normally imagine, but not as ugly as these reproductions.
>>
>he's made them appear significantly more gaudy than they truly were?

probably this, he needed to sell the novelty, the more shocking the better. Besides, such lively colors on stone are achieved with modern synthetic paints.
>>
That's just the first coat, and modern pants on top of that.

Have none of you painted minis?
>>
>implying painters back then couldn't shade things
>>
File: gaudy.jpg (460 KB, 1200x797) Image search: [Google]
gaudy.jpg
460 KB, 1200x797
>>958291
>shading
>a sculpture

Cathedrals were painted as well btw
>>
>>958266
>Have none of you painted minis?
lol are you some kinda fuckin warhammer nerd dude L M A O !!!
>>
>>958180
Bronze age looked literally like fucking Disneyland, I wouldn't be shocked if Iron age Greeks were the same.
>>
>>958492
Warhammer nerds arent the only grognards.
>>
>>958499
How was the bronze age like Disney?
>>
File: 1458589540378.jpg (66 KB, 640x848) Image search: [Google]
1458589540378.jpg
66 KB, 640x848
>>958492
I miss the painting mane
>>
Does anyone know what kind/range of pigments Greek painters would have had access to?
>>
As an offensive against the claims of Greek statue painting I've read various articles making references to ancient accounts espousing the pure white, polished marble aesthetic of certain Greek statues but they never provide a fucking source. Does anyone know of any actual primary sources that have backed up the claim that at least a few Greek statues were actually originally as we see them today?
>>
>>958539
I believe there was a Plato reference, but I don't have the exact quote.

As far as I know, the current idea is that some statues were painted and others were not, depending on value, subject, and where the statue is going to be displayed. As a whole, the classical world was almost certainly much more colorful than is commonly believed.
>>
Weren't the original Greek statues bronze and Roman reproductions were marble?
>>
They only use the base coat. Look at painted sculptures anywhere else around the world none look so derpy
>>
>>958152
Its hard to tell how accurate they are, but I genuinely think the only reason they are so jarring is because we have a very strong idea of classical rome and greece as being white marble and white togas
>>
>>958512
I'm no expert on Greek painting methods but at the time in general the dominant mediums that pigments would be mixed with were wax (encaustic) and egg (tempera).

Other mediums may have been used too but those are the ones that I often see referenced in talking about older paintings. I don't know about painting statues but they would have had to prime them somehow otherwise that surface would just drink up the paint and not form a stable layer. If they were using tempera the colours may have been quite gaudy all right, It tends to bring up the colours and make surfaces shiny. It lasts a long time too if its cared for and protected with varnishes and such.

Pigment wise I wonder just what they had available. Finding ways to make pigments boils down to what is around naturally and can be bound in a medium. organic matter and certain ground rocks or stones are common sources of earthy colours. I would assume that reds yellows and ochres were pretty common colours for them due to the ease of making them. The probably used blue as well but not as a main part of their pallet. It was difficult to make good strong blues back them so it was probably used sparingly and not as a focal point, given how it might turn to shit over time from unstable production methods.

Of course if they had a blue pigment(Which it seems they did) then they must have made greens and indigo's from it given they had reds and yellows already.So they probably had quite a range to work from though I doubt the actual statues were as gaudy as these mock ups seem to be if only for the fact that Greek conceptions of colour were tied to dark and light, not chroma. If the dominant accessible pigments were reds yellows,blacks and whites then they had a pretty strong tonal palette to work with. This kind of pallet produces striking works that play the tonal difference off one another rather than chromatic ones, you can see it in Goya for example.
>>
>masters at sculpture
>paint like a retard
Why Greece? Also ancient Greek and Roman music reconstructions sound horrible. I don't believe people with such refined aestethics listened to that kind of music while around these badly painted toy-looking statues.
>>
File: AryanStatue.jpg (29 KB, 298x550) Image search: [Google]
AryanStatue.jpg
29 KB, 298x550
The NatSocs got it right in that we shouldn't paint them. But then came modern degenerate art...
>>
The Greeks were brilliant painters who completely revolutionized the art form. The naturalism of Roman, Byzantine and eventually Renaissance painting can ultimately be traced back to them. I don't really know much about the science behind these reconstructions and I'm sure they have some credibility, but I really find it hard to believe they could be so ugly. Egyptian painted sculptures from a thousand years before look incredible, so why would the Greek stuff look so shit?

>>958968
Pure shit.
>>
>>958956
>Also ancient Greek and Roman music reconstructions sound horrible.
Really? Shit like Synaulia sounds good to me.
>>
>>958152
Not this shit again, we should put all guys who tried to demolish these masterpieces before firing squad
>>
File: 1403182013593.png (192 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1403182013593.png
192 KB, 400x400
>>959475
If only we knew more
>>
File: Nefertiti_berlin.jpg (244 KB, 1275x1700) Image search: [Google]
Nefertiti_berlin.jpg
244 KB, 1275x1700
Ancient Egyptians already painted statues and the quality was better.
>>
File: averageancientroman.png (278 KB, 433x356) Image search: [Google]
averageancientroman.png
278 KB, 433x356
>>958968
>The NatSocs got it right
>AryanStatue.jpg
no
>>
File: 800x600_plochromi01.jpg (106 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
800x600_plochromi01.jpg
106 KB, 800x600
>>959730
To be fair the paintwork on Greek statues was probably about as good, it's just that the modern reconstructions are more interested in finding out what color they used where rather than how it might have looked.
>>
>>959475
All of the reconsructions are based solely on the base coat; they were probably much more subtle.
>>
File: 1449280375307.jpg (92 KB, 665x978) Image search: [Google]
1449280375307.jpg
92 KB, 665x978
>>958968
You're wrong.
>>
File: GD-EG-Caire-Musée121.jpg (976 KB, 1599x876) Image search: [Google]
GD-EG-Caire-Musée121.jpg
976 KB, 1599x876
>>958509
Don't these columns make cattle counting fun?
>>
>>959730
why do egyptians remains preserve their original colour while the greek ones aren't?
>>
File: painted-sphinx.jpg (32 KB, 672x480) Image search: [Google]
painted-sphinx.jpg
32 KB, 672x480
>>961400
That bust doesn't seem to be made from marble, for one thing.

There are plenty of Egyptian statues that lost their color.
>>
>>961400
Egypt is a desert and dry af while greece is dirt and water
>>
File: 1392727798216.jpg (162 KB, 1024x773) Image search: [Google]
1392727798216.jpg
162 KB, 1024x773
>>958968
all the arno breker statues suck dogshit and truly embody the pleb spirit of the völkish movement
>>
>>961400
might have something to do with all those giant piles of rock they hid stuff inside of
>>
>>961400
Same reason it's so damn hard to find mummified bodies in Europe. The climate and environment don't favour it. Only really well preserved corpses you'll find in bogs.
>>
File: 1457803237445.gif (2 MB, 290x260) Image search: [Google]
1457803237445.gif
2 MB, 290x260
>Vinzenz Brinkmann (born 1958 in Göttingen) is a German classical archaeologist.

A German, why am inot surprise with this ?they would try to ruin the entire western civizilation whenever they have chance.
>Communism
>Two World Wars
>>
>>962895
Don't forget protestantism
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.