[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does east Asia have so many totally unrelated language families
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: Language_families_of_Asia.png (22 KB, 738x575) Image search: [Google]
Language_families_of_Asia.png
22 KB, 738x575
Why does east Asia have so many totally unrelated language families while Europe and MENA are for the large part Indo-European and Afro-Asiatic?
>>
>>956091
Also the huge American continent has only like 4 big languages who are all related to each other.
Why so?
>>
>>956091

Asia is larger, in population and geography.

Also, different environments - radically different.
>>
>>956099
Depends on where you go desu, but considering the lack of real countries of the time, it's amazing so many tribes came from one proto-language people.
>>
File: Langs_N.Amer.png (599 KB, 1290x1170) Image search: [Google]
Langs_N.Amer.png
599 KB, 1290x1170
>>956122
>>
>>956099
This proposal is not supported by evidence.
>>
>>956119
Europe can be as well, hasn't stopped the Aryan languages from being everywhere. It's also why I specify east Asia.
>>
>>956136
Western Eurasia is still smaller, as in the distance between any point and navigable waters connected to a major culture is very small compared to Asia. What you're seeing for the most part in OP's map is the natural extent of control and influence of Asia's historical empires and civilizations.
>>
>>956226
that makes sense, but Indo-European never had a particular empire associated with it, only the groups within, like Germanic tribes, Persians, Roman, Celtic, and Slavic kingdoms, all with a same language family.
East Asia had groups totally on their own.
>>
>>956248
Not exactly, those kinds of divisions happened with other language families as well. It's only recently that China has united (and suppress) Tibetan and Altaic languages. The Altaic languages have only ever been united once under the Mongols, and only rarely unified themselves as either Turkic or Mongol nations.
>>
>>956265
isn't Altaic a meme family that isn't well supported?
>>
>>956091
Who still speaks a Pontic language?!
>>
>>956129
Drop the trip
>>
>>956293
Maybe, but the point is there wasn't ever an Altaic kingdom the same way there was never an Indo-European kingdom, just several Turkic and Mongol confederations that fought other Turkic and Mongol confederations not that much different from the different kingdoms of Europe and the Middle East.
>>
>>956299
but didn't you say earlier that the languages were facilitated by empires?
>>
File: 1428694355485.jpg (8 KB, 249x243) Image search: [Google]
1428694355485.jpg
8 KB, 249x243
Altaic was never widely accepted when it was first proposed and any linguist will laugh at you nowadays if you bring it up
>>
>>956295
"Pontic" refers to the Northwest Caucasian (a.k.a. Circassian) languages
>>
>>956091
the only people who think altaic theories are relevant are turanist fag trying to establish historical connection between them and japan/korea

i know a turk who even ask a japanese what do they think of turan nation brotherhood, i kid you not
>>
File: asia-physical-map.jpg (660 KB, 800x592) Image search: [Google]
asia-physical-map.jpg
660 KB, 800x592
Compare your map with this physical map of Asia. Obviously not the only explanation, but still very significant.
>>
>>956091
Almost all of the east asian languages are entirely related. They just say that because of special snowflake syndrome.
>>
>>956480
profs? because most of these are led to a single proto-language, unrelated to one another Proto-Japanese is not related to Proto-Sino-Tibetan, nor Proto-Korean, nor Proto-Mongolic
>>
>>956433
>>956369
meme map was the first, and most complete, map on google images. i didn't catch that it was proposing Altaic.
>>
>>956359
Yes? I don't see the problem.
>>
>>956433
There obviously is a connection between turkics and mongols
>>
>>956650
The experts disagree, how do you propose they are?
>>
>>957444
At least culturally sharing gods and steppe nigger lifestyle
>>
>>957444
>The experts disagree
The experts disagree with including Japonic and Korean in the Macro-Altaic family or on the relatedness of the various languages making up the Micro-Altaic family, they don't disagree that Turkic and Mongol languages are "connected."

If you want an equivalent, it's like experts disagreeing on how closely related German, Dutch, English, French, Lombard and Italian are to each others and whether some or all of these languages can be grouped in a Latino-Germanic family.
>>
>>959413
A better real-world example might be Gallo-Romance. Experts bitterly disagree on whether they should include Occitano-Romance and/or Gallo-Italic languages in the family (it's pretty ironic if we have to exclude them too, since those are are the languages spoken in provinces considered Gallo-Roman.)
>>
>>959413
But the Turkic and Mongolic languages all originated from a proto-language that have no common origin. It's possible the Steppe nature may have led to Areal interaction, but as I understand even micro-altaic is not supported.

>>959299
That's does not support a common origin, only interaction.
>>
>>956091
These are way, way better national divisions than the ones we have right now.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.