[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rump states
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: soissons_486AD.png (273 KB, 1440x1344) Image search: [Google]
soissons_486AD.png
273 KB, 1440x1344
What is your favourite rump state and why /his/?

For me it's the Domain of Soissons, a Roman kingdom centred on northern Gaul that survived even the fall of the final western Roman emperor in 476 until it was conquered by the Franks under Clovis. If it had managed to hold out it may have engendered a Roman reconquest of Britain (the Britons had fear of a cross-channel invasion) or maybe even restoring wider control, but alas.

>A rump state is the remnant of a once-larger state, left with a reduced territory in the wake of secession, annexation, irredentism, occupation, decolonization, or a successful coup d’état or revolution on part of its former territory
>>
The Argentine Nazis
>>
Mine would be the british empire
>>
Soissons would never have done shit
>>
Byzantine Empire, because it's The Rump State That Could
>>
>>944030

Is this the dominions of Flavius Aetius?
>>
>>944030
Man, how I wished CK2 had earlier startdates.
>>
>>944182
When the World Stopped Making Sense

Or something like that

Starts at the fall of the WRE
>>
>>944030

A good pick, albeit one that probably didn't exist. While Gregory of Tours' 'Rex Romanorum' Syagrius is very interestingly titled (see S. Fanning in Drinkwater and Elton (eds.) 1992), he is likely in reality to have controlled no more than the civitas of Soissons. He and other Roman leaders in the region - Comes Paulus and Arbogast of Trier may have been allied, but the Domain is likely a creation designed to conveniently fill a gap on the map.

I assume you have, but for anybody else interested, see Edward James, 'The Franks' - the chief proponent in English for a mythologised Soissons and the most persuasive voice in the argument (in my opinion), or contra, Penny MacGeorge 'Late Roman Warlords'.

IF the Domain did exist, it is extremely unlikely that it would have engendered a reconquest of Britain. Britain had by that point, been de facto outside of the Empire for nearly two generations, and given the failure/disinterest in its political fate after 410 on the part of the western empire (save for Germanus' mission, it is the Britons who appear interested in Rome not the other way round - see the Groans of the Britons of Gildas or the continental adventurism of Riothamus) it is unlikely that a rump state based in Gaul would be interested in any regions other than southern Gaul, where the majority of the region's wealth remained (hence in large part, the confrontations between the Franks and Visigoths for control of the region).

I'm always interested to read about the Domain, but I have not ever seen compelling evidence for it's existence - as I say, I suspect, as do others, that at most it is a later mythologised alliance of independent civitates.
>>
>>944193
Playing Pagan Ireland or the Huns sounds fun. Or Visigothic North Africa.
>>
>>944030
>>944169
>Although in 453 Aetius had been able to betroth his son Gaudentius to Valentinian's daughter Placidia, Valentinian felt intimidated by Aetius, who had once supported Joannes against him and who, Valentinian believed, wanted to place his son upon the imperial throne. The Roman senator Petronius Maximus and the chamberlain Heraclius were therefore able to enlist Valentinian in a plot to assassinate Aetius. The ancient historian Priscus of Panium reports that on September 21, 454, while Aetius was at court in Ravenna delivering a financial account, Valentinian suddenly leaped from his seat and declared that he would no longer be the victim of Aetius's drunken depravities. He held Aetius responsible for the empire's troubles and accused him of trying to steal the empire from him. When Aetius attempted to defend himself from the charges, Valentinian drew his sword and together with Heraclius, struck Aetius on the head, killing him.[51] Later, when Valentinian boasted that he had done well in disposing of Aetius, someone at court responded, "Whether well or not, I do not know. But know that you have cut off your right hand with your left."[52] Edward Gibbon credits Sidonius Apollinaris with this famous observation.[53]
>Maximus expected to be made patrician in place of Aetius, but was blocked by Heraclius. Seeking revenge, Maximus arranged with two Hun friends of Aetius, Optila and Thraustila, to assassinate both Valentinian III and Heraclius. On March 16, 455, Optila stabbed the emperor in the temple as he dismounted in the Campus Martius and prepared for a session of archery practice. As the stunned emperor turned to see who had struck him, Optila finished him off with another thrust of his blade. Meanwhile, Thraustila stepped forward and killed Heraclius. Most of the soldiers standing close by had been faithful followers of Aetius and none lifted a hand to save the emperor.
>>
>>944205
Its actually possible to play Romulus Augustus and save the WRE

Not gonna tell ya how tho ;)
>>
File: Zhang Qian, Zhang Hongwei.jpg (269 KB, 2109x1047) Image search: [Google]
Zhang Qian, Zhang Hongwei.jpg
269 KB, 2109x1047
>>944030
Alexander's Successors furthest in the east who gave Seleucids the finger and led separate independent lives. Such as:
The petty Kingdoms of Dayuan (today, Ferghana, in modern day Uzbekistan/Tajikistan/Kyrgyztan). Featuring the city-states of
>Marakanda (Samarkand)
>Alexandreia-Eschate (Alexandria "The Furthest")
And the Greco-Baktrian Kingdom in around modern day afghanistan.

Fuckers met everyone from Indians, the Chinese, Greeks, and Iranic peoples.

They were ended by Indo-Iranian Horse-nomads.

The greek petty kings in Dayuan was so remote, most of the shit we know about them from history was already out of the hands of Western Historians and into the records of Chinese History.
>>
>>944228
You can play Julius Nepos and successfully invade Italy in their mod
>>
>>944238
Graeco-Buddhism is cool as fuck. The Greeks were one of the early sponsors of Buddhism before it caught in India proper thanks to Ashoka.

One of their sacred texts, Milindha Panha is written in the form of a dialogue between the Greek King Menander/Milindha and a Buddhist sage.
>>
>>944147
And why do you say that? Just because it didn't doesn't mean it couldn't have. Nothing in that period of time was ever certain. Even the fall of Western Rome happening when it did wasn't certain despite the memes.

>>944169
Nah, Aegidius and his son Syagrius. He's neat as fuck.

>>944203
A well thought out response Anon. Of course I am merely exaggerating for effect, i've yet to hear much genuine proof of its existence either, but i'd like to think it existed and that it was vigorous and dynamic.

I was under the impression from writers like Salway (a bit outdated but still) that Romano-British penchant for hiring foederati was not just in order to fight the Picts and Saxons, but in order to stave off a potential reconquest that seemed very real to them. Furthermore, I remember reading an eloquently argued suggestion that the granting of Ceint in south-eastern England to foederati Jutes was to protect the channel crossing from a potential invasion in the 450s by Aegidius who commanded northern Gaul at the time.

>I suspect, as do others, that at most it is a later mythologised alliance of independent civitates.

You're probably correct there. I expect something similar applies with the so called "consilium Brittaniae", if the civitates system even survived more than a few decades in Britain.
>>
>>944205
I recommend pagan Cantabria. Iberia is fun as fuck in WTWSMS. You have a playable Celtic religion and you have Romans, Suebi, Visigoths etc. to deal with.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.