[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Underrated Roman emperors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (770 KB, 1689x2200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
770 KB, 1689x2200
Name 5 of Rome's most underrated emperors, ERE included.
>>
Caracalla was pretty crazy but he was a good military commander and there were many emperors much worst than him
>>
Romulus Augustus

He didn't fuck anything up.
>>
>>938124
He got caught.
>>
>>938130
Inevitable and running wouldn't have worked out well for him.
>>
Antoninus Pious
Septimus Severus
Majorian
Galienus
Claudius Gothicus
>>
>>938146
Care to explain why?
>>
>>938157
Galienus-Fighter who ruled for eight years at the peak of the 3rd Century Crisis - an impressive accomplishment.

Antoninus Pious-Effective administrator

Majorian
>"presents the welcome discovery of a great and heroic character, such as sometimes arise, in a degenerate age, to vindicate the honour of the human species".
- Edward Gibbon

Claudius Gothicus-rebuilt epire after crisis,destroyed invading Goths

Septimus Severus-He stands out because he saw himself, and his Empire, for what they actually were.
>>
File: Otho.jpg (78 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Otho.jpg
78 KB, 800x800
Otho was a metrosexual playboy and a party animal for most of his life. He showed a surprising competence and leadership skill when he became emperor. He killed himself to prevent a civil war
>>
Vespasian
Aurelian
Julian the Apostate
Majorian
>>
Julian the Apostate (was pretty cool, would have been a great Emperor if he hadn't been killed by the Sassanids)
>>
>>938209
>Septimus Severus-He stands out because he saw himself, and his Empire, for what they actually were.
IE a humongous faggot whose legacy left Rome in tatters with each progressive successor and his shitty policy of overpaying the fuck out of the army. Carcalla was a psychopath, Elagabalus was a boipussi, and Alexander Severus was a mama's boy who's weakness prevented the destruction of the Sassanids.

The crisis of the 3rd century was mainly due to this faggot.
>>
How is Majorian underrated? It's basically /his/''s favorite emperor if you dismiss the Byzaboos
>>
>>940562
Just because he is /his/'s favorite doesn't mean he isn't underrated elsewhere or in the real world.

I can't even recall the last time ive ever heard mention of Majorian outside of this place.
>>
File: Elagabalo.jpg (124 KB, 470x479) Image search: [Google]
Elagabalo.jpg
124 KB, 470x479
1. Elagabalus
2. Elagabalus
3. Elagabalus
4. Elagabalus
5. Elagabalus
>>
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Valerius_Corvus

Not an emperor but can rupublican era Romans be allowed?
>Elected consul 6 times, first time at 22
>Was dictator three times
>Led armies in first Sammite war
>Occupied curule chair 22 times
>Lived to be one hundred
>>
>>940727
Literally the Maximum possible amount of Faggotry by one emperor.
>>
>>938098
>No Diocletian
Constantine was wrong.
>>
Julian the Apostate. Until the whole Persia thing. Probus, maybe? Carausius Mausaius?
>>
Augustus
Trajan
Hadrian
Marcus Aurelius
Constantine
>>
>>941331
Marcus Aurelius, Hadrian, Constantine and Augustus are without a shadow of a doubt the most famous roman Emperors, and none of them are Underrated. Constantine was Canonized, Hadrian's wall is a landmark basically everyone on the British Isles knows about, Gladiator, one of the only popular pieces of media concerning a Roman Emperor, has Marcus Aurelius. And Augustus. Who that knows anything about Roman History doesn't know Augustus?
>>
>>941356
>what is sarcasm
>>
Vespasian
>>
File: 1458517145771.jpg (40 KB, 400x402) Image search: [Google]
1458517145771.jpg
40 KB, 400x402
>>938115
Ignoring him starting the whole bankrupt the state to pay off the army, the persecutions, and the massive debasement of currency sure.
>>
>>938146
I thought Septimuis Severus was fairly well regarded no?
>>
>>938146
Also Antoninus Pius is included in "the five good emperors" so I think it would be hard to call him underrated. Maybe not as well known as he ought to be.
>>
>>941431
Well regarded enough for Afrocentrists to claim he was black.
>>
>>940497
Alexander is pretty well regarded historically. Hard to blame a man for his offspring being shit. I mean if Caracalla being shit makes Septimius shit then I guess Marcus Arelius is shit as well no?
>>
>>940727
kek
>>
I'd say Tiberius, basically shit on for having to immediately follow Augustus. Very capable general and did a lot of good work consolidating the empire.
>>
>>941356
>Gladiator, one of the only popular pieces of media concerning a Roman Emperor, has Marcus Aurelius

Not to mention the totally based Meditations.
>>
Gordian, Gallienus ,Aurelian
and Diocletian were definitely the best emperors of the Crisis century and were responsible for the empires survival for at least a few centuries more.
>>
File: Domitian.jpg (561 KB, 1050x582) Image search: [Google]
Domitian.jpg
561 KB, 1050x582
He was ahead of his time.

Also Gallienus' longevity is impressive, plus I always admired Otho.
>>
>>940379
"Although the goddess of civil warfare was still in doubt,

And soft Otho had perhaps still a chance of winning,

He renounced fighting that would have cost much blood,

And with sure hand pierced right through his breast.

By all means let Cato in his life be greater than Julius Caesar himself;

In his death was he greater than Otho?"
>>
>>940474
Fuck Julian, constantius 2 was much better
>>
>>941515
>diocletian
>creates system which only he can control
>falls apart when he leaves
>has to keep coming out of retirement to sort out his successors
>price edict did fuck all to help the economy
>purges against Christians only emboldened them
>Implying he isn't the reason the empire split in half
>>
>>941569
Constantius II is my ruthless husbando
>>
>>941586
>price edict did fuck all to help the economy

Yeah it was really undermined by Diocletian's insistence on printing more and more money with less and less actual metallic value.

It's so frustrating reading about Diocletian's continued failure to grasp a concept that literally everyone understands today (inflation). I mean obviously Diocletian isn't the only one, no Roman really got why inflation was bad, but Diocletian was so inventive with other solutions he seems like someone who could have cracked it.
>>
>>941446
Alexander is well regarded for not being as much of a colossal dickhead like his predecessors (who could top the craziness of Caracalla?). However, he was politically weak for being dominated by his mother, something the legions would later wrek him for after his refusal to wipe the Sassanids out. Speaking of which, that was his other big screw-up, and hundreds of thousands of Romans since that mistake died in battle against the Sassanids.

Marcus Aurelius also gets shit on frequently for his refusal to kill Commodus, but at least he was very competent and wasn't a military-hungry dick like Septimius was.
>>
>>941633
For the most part being under his mothers wing had helped him, she secured a good education for him and guided him through the early parts of his reign. Improving the justice system and halting the continuous debasement of roman currency were both incredibly important reforms. Furthermore, the legions revolted after he payed off a Germanic army rather than fight it. He did this so he could go fight the Sassanids. I can't really say it was a bad decision, it just didn't end up working out. I highly doubt he had the chance to wipe out the Sassanids prior to 235 mostly due to the sorry state his predecessors had left the military in (not talking strength-wise talking complete lack of loyalty.) So in the end he did a mostly good job and his mother gave him mostly good advice. His death is really the only reason anyone says otherwise
>>
>>941667
>>941633

Just to be clear, I understand where you are coming from I just think it's hard to say Septimius was shit relative to plenty of other roman emperors and if you discount how shit his family was.
>>
>>938124
Don't you mean Uther Pendragon?
>>
File: disgust1.jpg (23 KB, 500x320) Image search: [Google]
disgust1.jpg
23 KB, 500x320
>>941698
>>
>>941684
He set the precedent of shit m8.
>>
>>941729
Fair enough
>>
Still no Gratian....
He tried his best damn it, should be up there with Majorian.
>>
Aurelian (imagine if he had lived longer)
Majorian (same as above)
Diocletian (did good and bad things)
Theodosius
Anastasius (great administrator, left the coffers full for Justinian)
Basil II

Ive heard people say that Domitian was actually a decent ruler but got shit on by writers, dunno if true.
Alexios Komnenos
>>
>>941608
>>941586

Without Diocletian the Empire would have collapsed because of the 3rd century crises- end of story. He is the most important emperor after Augustus.
>>
>>941853
I refuse to ever praise Basil II. Destroy the entire fabric of the empire, crush all military aristocracy and make the empire entirely about yourself and then forget to take a wife or adopt a child.
>How is that a good emperor.
>>
No order.

1.) Gallienus
2.) Majorian
3.) Constantius II
4.) Maurice
5.) John I Tzimiskes
>>
Charles V
>needed to be modded into civ 5
>shitty ula
>>
>>938098
Andronicus Comnenus-
> Fuck the Latinates and the Aristos, religious War now
>>
>>941902
What's that Alexios II Komnenus, you represent the porphyrogenitus descendant of the most stable synasty in 300 years better kill you nowwwww
>>
Leo the Wise
>>941876

Yeah, his domestic stuff was atrocious.
>>
>>941586
Diocletian is Rome's Bismarck. He built a system that only he could maneuver, and once he died it all went to shit.

At least Constantine wasn't autistic like Wilhelm.
>>
>>938098
Aurelian is the most underrated
>>
>>940497
>Alexander Severus
>destroying the Sassanids
The same Severus whose army in Armenia was forced into retreat multiple times and the other one he headed personally was decisively defeated outside the outskirts of Ctesiphon?

You have a checkered memory if you think Alexander Severus was ever in the position to destroy the Sassanids or out-match fucking Ardashir.
>>
>>941588
He did a decent job considering he had warmongering Persians on one side and civil war on the other while having ruthless family members at his side. He'd probably go down as a good ruler in a better time, same with Gallienus.
>>
>>941909
The little bitch was favouring the Latins and was a puppet of his mother lmao
>>
>>941996
Also, Manuel really should have set up a decent regent for him instead, instead of believing his simpering courtiers who kept telling him he was gonna live to a hundred when he was on his death bed
>>
>>941996
Some of the most succesful emperors (Romanus Lekapanus, Phokas and Tzimiskes) knew better than to assasinate a porphyrogenitus. The dynasty is important. The legitimacy, the divine providence.
>>
Tiberius

He was a grouchy pedophile, but you can't say that he didn't bring stability and prosperity to the empire
>>
>>942013
>Tiberius
>pedophile
>>
Baldwin I of Constantinople :^)
>>
>>942007
Of course. I'm only saying that Andronicus Comnenus's reign did have some good purposes, and it was wise of him to alleviate the corruption that had come about during Manuel's (generally sterling) career. Unfortunately, he committed the same sin as Domitian, which was that you must never fuck with the aristocracy.
>>
>>940562
To me, I'd say underrated in that either they're not as known to general people and/or you'll never see them on the lists of great emperors with people like Trajan, Augustus and the like.
>>
>>942019
C'mon man, it's pretty well documented
>>
Come on guys, no Heraklios? He brought the empire back from a horrible defeat by persia, and he also had to deal with enemies to the north of the empire, and once, constantinople was under siege by 2 different enemies on land and sea at the same time. His tactics against persia were ballsy as fuck but they paid off. Should read about his wars.

Justinian is a bit overrated, his conquest of italy took years and ravaged the land. The plague afterwards certainly ddnt help.
>>
>>942051
t. Senatorial bullshit anti-Julio Claudian agenda
>>
>>942077
The same heraclius that lost the richest lands of the Empire to some desert rats?
>>
>>942051
Oh but anon. Don't you realise that Suetonius is just the Roman Procopius?
>>
>>942077
Not to put the wind out of your sail but a big part of Herculius success against the Sassanids was due to Shahrbaraz being bought into neutrality by him and revealing also Khosrau Parviz's attempt to have him assassinated.

It was more due to his handling of political factors that lead to the Sassanids defeat and factional infighting then actual pure military power.
>>
>>942077
Heraclius lost Syria and Egypt to fanatical camel herders
>>
>>942109
t.
Salty favourite young courtesan of the emperor, live from the island of Capri
>>
>>938130
Getting caught was a part of his plan.
>>
>>942159
You did it wrong.
>>
>>942168
no u
>>
Pertinax
Didius Iulianus
Pescennius Niger
Decimus Clodius Septimius Albinus Augustus
Septimius Severus
>>
File: 1433807390709.jpg (40 KB, 550x512) Image search: [Google]
1433807390709.jpg
40 KB, 550x512
>>942221
> Pertinax

reee...
>>
How different would everything have been if Kavadh had been able to get Justin I to adopt Khosrau?
>>
File: tiberius_getty.jpg (146 KB, 540x814) Image search: [Google]
tiberius_getty.jpg
146 KB, 540x814
>>942160

Magister Paulus?
I'm SPQR.

[spoiler]How many other human beings can lay claim to deicide?[/spoiler]
>>
>>941539
This X 5. Domitian basically laid the foundation for the five good emperors.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.