[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people like the Byzantine Empire so much?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 13
File: asfdtrhyj.jpg (283 KB, 1584x2220) Image search: [Google]
asfdtrhyj.jpg
283 KB, 1584x2220
Why do people like the Byzantine Empire so much?
>>
>>934938
because it was fucking cool.

Also it was Roman.
>>
because i can identify with Justinian I
>>
Because the remove kebab meme. Muh Rome, muh true original christianity also. Easy to see how it became a rallying point of traditionalist wankers.

I'm kind of stumped by it myself though, Byzantium can't even show that much in the way of conquest or anything for itself, spent its existence being constantly wreaked by rebellions, turks, crusaders and various slavs
>>
>>934938

It was like ancient rome, greece and persia had a baby.
>>
>Byzaboos refer to it as the Roman empire
>Rome isn't even a part of it
>>
>>934938
It was a tragic story. Also they loved Muslims
>>
>>934972
>Eastern
>>
>>934972
>Rome isn't even a part of it
it was. for a little bit. and then not. and then it was again. look, can we not talk about this ;_;
>>
>>934981
>Also they loved Muslims
The same people that killed a missionary type figure who knew Mohammad personally for something I recall being minor?
>>
>>934938
Autism
>>
Because it was Rome. Don't you like Rome, Anon?
>>
Beause is purple.
>>
File: tumblr_n1qahbROqQ1s9yvhho1_500.jpg (109 KB, 454x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n1qahbROqQ1s9yvhho1_500.jpg
109 KB, 454x750
Because they were /fa/shion as fuck.
>>
>>935035
Save for the gaudy makeup, jewelry, and dresses.
>>
File: C-Costumi 008.jpg (37 KB, 389x768) Image search: [Google]
C-Costumi 008.jpg
37 KB, 389x768
iesss
>>
>>934959
> remove kebab meme

But the Byzantines didn't remove jack shit. If anything it was them that got removed.
>>
Rome has a consistently interesting history. I don't see why it would become less interesting in it's later period.
>>
>>934938
Early on the Byzantines had a professional army, considered the best in the known world, which was cool

They are a direct continuation of the Roman Empire after the Western half fell, which is interesting.

Many people like removing kebab, and the Byzantines were the bulwark between the turks and Europe so they were basically on the front lines all the time fighting kebab.

They had a series of resurgences under various Emperors, which is interesting to look at, but were subsequently cut back down to size due to a lot of bad luck (plague, anyone?) and stagnant bureaucracy.
>>
>>934972
We had New Rome, we didn't need that old thing
>>
>>934959
Byzaboos have been around long before Christcucks or kebab removers. They come from all political persuasions.

I guess it's just because of their aesthetic.
>>
Cause justinian had a dream

And then he failed
>>
Cataphracts. Also Justinian.
>>
>>935869

>I guess it's just because of their aesthetic.

This

Sorta like whats going on in the UK thread

Byzantine empire was really the epitome of what Rome was striving for and they did a decent job of holding that for a while but never really improved. Just like big badass UK lives on through the US. Or a parent that lives through their children vicariously.

>>934965
this too
>>
>>935052
Byzantine aesthetic, specially during the 6th century is peculiar, their buildings seem both Roman and Muslim. The clothes they wear are strange, appearing to be a transition between a Roman emperor and an European medieval king. And despite how alien their mosaics and icons may look they are European and Christian (A different branch from Catholicism later on)
>>
>>934959
Hello Mehmet
>>
>Roman legacy
>Legendary city
>Lasted from before the fall of Rome til nearly Columbus' travels
>Cool aesthetic
>Was broken and reformed itself
>Mostly cool leaders
>Bulwark against Islam meme
>Medieval napalm
>plus more

lots of interesting things about them even if they get rather overhyped around here
>>
It's interesting to watch the remains of an old empire cling to life in the late middle ages.
Also they looked cool.
>>
>>934938
I like the Eastern Romans but Justinian was really a shit Emperor who didn't understand the concept of cutting his losses
>>
>>937061
>6th century
>Muslim

some serious autism detected
>>
>>934938
>Normal people
>Knowing that Roman Empire survived 476
>>
File: 1456162082608.png (524 KB, 641x359) Image search: [Google]
1456162082608.png
524 KB, 641x359
>>937235
This

In primary and highschool, not once was the ERE mentioned. Not even when we studied the crusades.

They taught us that civilization collapsed on 476 and then came back in the 1400s.
>>
>>937278
I'm an American and I remember being taught that the Roman Empire was split up between East and West and that the East was a lot better off afterwards.
>>
>>937278
>>937318
Canada here, everything Byzantine stops when Justinian dies.

At most they get a passing mention with the crusades of just "Niggas asked for help"
>>
>>935702
Except for the fact that they hated West. They were more Eastern than the Ottomans
>>
>>937336
I honestly don't remember in that great of detail what I learned about the subject in primary school. Most of my knowledge of history has been learned out of school.
>>
I never even thought byzantium threads could get so retarded in a place like this.

No, you are not in Team Byzantium, no there is no "we" who removed kebab, noone gives a fuck if you try to blame something on someone from some historic event "you should have defended that city more properly you destroyed rome's legacy >:--/ "
>>
>>934949
Oh my, don't tell me you married a whore as well ?
>>
>>934959
it's because they were a continuous political entity of rome that almost made it into the modern era. which is fucking crazy.
>>
File: 1438270646014.jpg (190 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
1438270646014.jpg
190 KB, 1000x750
It's 1100. The >Holy >Roman >Empire attacks the Eastern """"""""Roman"""""""""" Empire. Who wins?
>>
File: 9867543.png (17 KB, 274x242) Image search: [Google]
9867543.png
17 KB, 274x242
>>937414
Rome
>>
test
>>
>>937449
hi newfag
>>
File: 3215465.jpg (65 KB, 160x190) Image search: [Google]
3215465.jpg
65 KB, 160x190
>>934982
They were eastern, I'll give them that, but they were neither Roman nor an empire.
>>
File: Just.png (251 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Just.png
251 KB, 500x375
>>937458
>but they were neither Roman nor an empire.
>>
File: 1459833635490.png (1009 KB, 760x920) Image search: [Google]
1459833635490.png
1009 KB, 760x920
>>937458
Still more roman than the
>"""""""""""HOLY"""""""
>""""""""""""""ROMAN""""""
>""""""""""""""""""""EMPIRE"""""""""
>>
>>937388
Yeh ur moma
>>
>>937458
>but they were neither Roman nor an empire.
Anon...
>>
I want you to imagine two successor states of early antiquity, roaring back to life as the Sassanids and the ERE duking it out in what was the biggest proxy and inter-continental wars of not only the Dark Ages, but of human history before the early modern era.

It was so terrible and devistating that they couldn't defend themselves from their own mercenaries uniting and kicking both their teeth in at the exact same time.

God what a time it must have been to be alive. Way more badass than a child getting raped by tsundere christian barbarians.
>>
>>935869
The Byzantine Empire is younger than Christianity so I don't see how there were any pre-Christians byzaboos
>>
>>937414
The HRE would absolutely obliterate the Byzantines then
That was the HRE at it's height and the Byzantines were still reeling from their loss at Manzikert and the subsequent civil war and Turkish invasion of Anatolia.
>>
>>937711
They should've done that then instead of fucking around in Italy. It would make them the legimate heirs of Rome and they could finally get rid of the >.
>>
>>934938
Because I just played Rise of the Tomb raider and their armor is bad ass as fuck, even though it may not be historically correct.

Also their women dressed better than he medieval peasants thus better fueling my sexual fantasies.
>>
File: Basileía Rhōmaíōn.jpg (659 KB, 1972x892) Image search: [Google]
Basileía Rhōmaíōn.jpg
659 KB, 1972x892
>>934938
STOP CALLING IT THAT
>>
>>938052
How about the Greek Empire?
>>
File: devlish.jpg (128 KB, 396x482) Image search: [Google]
devlish.jpg
128 KB, 396x482
>>938052
>STOP CALLING IT THAT
>posts picture calling it that
>>
>>937172
Not the best word, I meant someone in this current time, unfamiliar with Roman churches of the late empire looks at someting like the Hagia Sophia (without minarets) and appears to be a mix between a mosque or something and St Peter's Basilica. Doesn't help that some later muslim buildings, the Blue Mosque in particular, drew inspiration from it.
Another captivating part of Byzantine aesthetics is how this armor>>935035
looks too Western to look like an Asian (Either Middle Eastern, Indian or Chinese) armor and looks too Asian to seem Western
>>
>>937711
>the Manzikert meme
>>
>>934938
They were the only real heirs to the roman empire
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.