[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tunisia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: tunisia.png (48 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
tunisia.png
48 KB, 2000x1333
The history of this place always fascinated me. Located in the centre of the Mediterranean, influenced by centuries of rule under the Carthaginians, Romans, Arabs, Ottomans etc. What does /his/ have to say about it?
>>
>>930133
Its been shit since 1700.
>>
>>930164
Better than the rest of the Arab world.
>>
>>930133
As someone who has ancestors from there I would really love to know more since I know shamefully little.
>>930169
From the way they manage to mix modernity and tradition Lebanon and Syria are better, sans the political instabilty of course. Lebanon maybe takes it a step too far with westernisation with plastic surgery everywhere. Syria is now messed up beyond belief and going to have to deal with a whole lost generation, and this can fuck up a country more than destroyed infrastructure. From the time I have visited Tunisia I can tell is in this really weird position where they have hypereducated young people but almost nothing to do with them. But the younger generation is cool and the different ethnicities are kinda visible, with typically tanned arabs, now-adult blond colony love children and pale-skinned turkish looking people with straight black hair. There are even a few red heads around. I have no idea where those come from historically.
>>
>>930459
Tunisian here
Ask me anything if you want
>>
>>930577
what is the treatment of the history of Carthage in Tunisia? based ancestors, """Tunisians are Carthaginians""", or something else entirely?
>>
>>930640
Mostly based ancestors. Its a source of national pride and Carthaginian imagery is used in a lot of stuff. We dont really believe we're Carthaginians though
I guess its the same as Italians and Rome
>>
>>930671
italians unironically believes they are the sucessor of rome though lol
>>
Tunisian here
Entire country been shit ever since the arabs forced themselves in and "pacified" the berber population
Got even worse with the spanish invasion followed by an incomplete ottoman occupation in 1574 followed by poverty. Racism and several coups d'etats. One of which was a 20 year civil war
Literally all you need to know about this shithole
>>
>>932562
How incompetent was the Ottomans really?
How did they govern you?
>>
>>932562
Before the Arabs? What was the ethnic composition and political situation like back then, from a Tunisian point of view, namely?
>>
File: 1441870982199.png (47 KB, 501x673) Image search: [Google]
1441870982199.png
47 KB, 501x673
>>932565
not him but the Ottomans barely governed at all. Mostly just appointed some pasha that would lounge around a palace and smoke shisha and fuck harem girls all day.
>>
>>933427
Algerian here. Mostly Berber before the Arab conquest. After the Arab conqest still mostly berber but cucked to the point where we think we are Arab. I'd imagine in Tunisia there was some Phoenician and Roman blood in the mix.
>>
Why didn't Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia just become one country?
>>
Also, do North Africans really dislike/hate Arabs?
>>
File: 1444871264502.jpg (16 KB, 462x579) Image search: [Google]
1444871264502.jpg
16 KB, 462x579
>>936428
I ask myself that same quetion every day habibi. I don't understand why most of us unironicallly hold on to our meme identities and colonial borders
>>
>>936436
there are a few Berber "muh heritages" but for the most part the Arabs did a pretty good job of getting us brainwashed
>>
>>930942
They kinda are
>>
My wife lived there for a bit

Generally the most secular country in the Middle East and the most stable democracy as of today. You don't have to wear a head scarf and people won't really bat an eye, but the kids there are little shits. Apparently they threw stuff at them just for literally no reason. One of them tried to peep on her too.

Overall though she generally liked it
>>
>>936448
Tunisia is in North Africa though
>>
>>936428
Colonies.
Maybe if Algeria became independant with us but France didn't want to let go of their oil fields.
>>
>>936448
>most secular country in the Middle East
>Middle East
Even if it was considered middle eastern, the title of most secular goes to Oman.
>>
>>940631
Not even close. Oman isn't any more secular than the likes of Jordan or Morocco
>>
I've been there as a kid in the late 90s, in Monastir and Nabeul. Everything smelled like crap, the people were sweaty and stinky and clearly didn't even wash, literal horse shit was piled up in the streets and nobody bothered to clean it, everything aside from the hotel complex looked like it's going to fall apart, some Arab hotel employee tried to hit on my (9 year old) female cousin, as soon as I left the hotel I got swarmed by trillion dirty little kids begging for money (one of them even wanted to fight me because I told him to fuck off) and the beach was sealed off by a literal razorwire fence because there were so many thieves in the area.

Easily the biggest shithole I've ever visited. If this is supposed to be the best and "most European" muslim country then I honestly don't want to see the worst one.
>>
>>932565
They didn't
>>
>>941772
>montasir
>nabeul
Wtf mate? The cities are cheap enough.
>>
High

Quality

Olive

Oil
>>
>>940631
Oman is far from secular but they do have one of the more chill variants of Islam.
>>
>>942174
What?
>>
I day dream about tunisians going full "muh heritage" and becoming culturally punic again and everybody starts learning the punic language.
>>
File: Tanit.png (7 KB, 269x320) Image search: [Google]
Tanit.png
7 KB, 269x320
>>942277
That would be kind of cool but pretty dumb at the same time. With Greeks and Italians at least it makes sense since their modern languages are derrived from the ancient variants.

What I want to see is a Tunisian flag with that Ottoman/Muslim symbol removed and the tanit added instead.
>>
>>942287
Its more likley to happen in lebbenon. I just want Phoenicians to come back :(
>>
>>942287
The crescent symbol was used since the days of cathage actually
>>
>>932562
>Racism
What, explain.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.